1.    #1  
    What if the difference between "Alert", "Notification" and "Messages".

"Alert" is when the calander reminds you of something, corect?
    "Notification" is a text, email or when you put the phone on the touchstone, correct?
    "Messages" ...I have no idea. I thought that was texts but it's not apparently because I switched this to a certain sound and it had no affect on the message or IM sound

Can someone clarify exactly what these are? I would love to have a different sound for emails and text. Thats isnt possible is it?

Thanks
    Last edited by Blipstein; 01/05/2010 at 02:19 PM.
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Blipstein View Post

"Notification" is a text, email or when you put the phone on the touchstone, correct?
    "Messages" ...I have no idea. I thought that was texts but it inot apparently.

Can someone clarify exactly what these are? I would love to have a different sound for emails and text. Thats isnt possible is it?

Thanks
    All is how you describe I think. Messages controls texts and IMs. I just tested it on my phone. Do you have SMS Per Contact maybe? Try changing the Messages and see if that kicks it in the **** maybe.
  3.    #3  
    You would think "messages" controls texts and IM's but I changed that to a different sound in the "Sounds & Ringtones" app and nothing changed about the text and IM notification. So I am still confused
    There is no spoon
    Do you have SMS per contact? Seems silly but maybe you have an alert sound setup under a specific person?
    I don't have anything labeled 'messages' in the sounds and ringtones screen.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I don't have anything labeled 'messages' in the sounds and ringtones screen.

I didnt know I did until the other day. Maybe it has to do with having the "My Notifications" app installed. Are you 1.3.5 ?

After some furthur testing it does seem to be working now. "Messages" is specifically for Texts and IM's. "Notification" is for emails and other stabdard notifications like when you put it on the touchstone. "Alerts" are for calander alerts.
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Blipstein View Post

"Messages" ...I have no idea. I thought that was texts but it's not apparently because I switched this to a certain sound and it had no affect on the message or IM sound

Thanks
    Have you applied a hack/patch to allow different notification sounds? The stock Sounds & Ringtones app doesn't have what you describe.

All I see is:

RINGER SWITCH OFF: Rings & Alerts

RINGER SWITCH ON:
    - Rings & Alerts: Sound/Sound & Vibrate
    - Ringtone
    - Ringtone Volume
    - System Sounds: ON/OFF
    - System Sounds Volume

Starting with webOS 1.3.1 you have the ability to have separate sounds for SMS & email. Email still uses the system (da ding) sound, but you can choose a different sound for SMS/Messaging:

1. Open Messaging.
    2. Choose Preferences & Accounts from the Messaging menu.
    3. Under New Message|Sound, choose Ringtone.
    4. Then select a new Ringtone. (Make it something very short in length or you'll end up listening to a whole song for every text message.)

UPDATE: Just saw your reply saying you have "My Notifications" installed. That explains it. The rest of us, that aren't running that, don't see what you see.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.