Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Doesn't the Mayan calendar predict Palm folding in 2012??
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    How much of a market share do they need to stay alive? I always wonder. Seems some folks on here feel palm needs the same share as the iphone or bb in order to survive? Is that true? Or could they survive by carving out a niche? I know the issue of critical mass for app development, but I'm genuinely curious about what palm needs to survive--smartphone dominance or under the radar consistency?
    The market share is a gray area because the smartphone is growing so quickly. Palm's market share is way down percentage-wise, but that doesn't mean they're selling any more or any fewer units overall.

As far as a magic number, there really isn't one. Palm is a tiny company compared to the other smartphone giants so they can survive with what seems to be a diminutive market share. The more important number would be the total amount of units sold.
    Technology companies that actually produce a marketable product do not fold. Worst case is they get bought.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    The "mindshare" issues is, in my opinion, being totally overhyped. The "latest" will always skew that, especially when you factor in the increased interest among then-current Palm users in the Pre before it came out, most of whom probably made their purchases.

In other words, I was one of those that would have answered "Yes, I plan on buying a Pre" had I been asked in prior to June, and would now answer "no, i don't plan on buying a Pre".

And again, the survey was among current smartphone users. It doesn't begin to touch the largely untapped market of users that don't own a smartphone.
    honestly just some increased advertising (in both quality and quantity) would boost Palm's mind share considerably. I used to see Palm ads all over Sprints site but now not so much. Also it's nice to see our Pre's have cameo's on popular TV shows but unless you can see PALM plain as day on the back of that phone only the palm owners will notice, everyone else in the world will say, "Hey look, he's using a black cell phone.. how original."
    I'm one of the few who have a "loyalty" gene still - I investigate to find the best product, and then I'm loyal to it forever.

Case in point - I still have a working Betamax! I also have a Prius with 178,000 miles on it, and my wife and I just celebrated our 25th anniversary.

I have no intentions of leaving my Pre - although I may be forced to if Palm leaves us. However, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Liar NOT. Think about it. If your Pre turns into a Droid or an iPhone, what type of apps will you have.
    Hmm.... I see what you mean now. Ah hahhhhhhhhhhhh..........
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    The "mindshare" issues is, in my opinion, being totally overhyped. The "latest" will always skew that.
    Maybe, but when your "latest" are so far apart then you need something to keep things exciting. I'm repeating what I said in another thread but this is where android has a major advantage over Apple and Palm.

Android is a bit overhyped since it's still a work in progress, but every new device seems to add something that makes the overall platform a bit more exciting. Apple and Palm work on their own and without frequent hardware/software updates they end up againg pretty quickly. The iPhone is by far the phone that is due for an update, but they mask that with apps. Tons of them. And it's no longer junk or fart apps, they have some incredible ones that are exclusive to the platform (which is why I still have to carry a disconnected iPhone).

But what about palm? They are doing okay with apps but I don't see any sign that we'll ever see an app that's going to be a phone seller because even our best stuff has a better alternative on Android or Iphone.

I'm not saying palm will die. But they are going to struggle and as a selfish brand agnostic consumer then I want the phone that has the brightest future.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Actually they will fold on February 14th in the year 2016. On valentines day, bummer. I was told by an alien who took me up in their spaceship that was made to look the look Holiday Inn, Paramis.
    You mean Paramus, you big dork.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I'm one of the few who have a "loyalty" gene still - I investigate to find the best product, and then I'm loyal to it forever.

Case in point - I still have a working Betamax! I also have a Prius with 178,000 miles on it, and my wife and I just celebrated our 25th anniversary.

I have no intentions of leaving my Pre - although I may be forced to if Palm leaves us. However, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    And thus, in that particular poll, you would part of the "decrease in mindshare" since you don't plan on buying a Pre.
    And thus, in that particular poll, you would part of the "decrease in mindshare" since you don't plan on buying a Pre.
    I would hope the poll included qualifiers that would disqualify someone that has purchased within a certain timeframe.

Then again, it could be silly me for assuming a poll posted on the internet would be done scientifically...
    The Debbie downers of the world predicted that Palm was going to fold after the 300, then after the 600, then they were going to fold after the 650, then it was the awful 700w that was going to bring their demise, of then the 700p, then the centro. Palm has done so much folding in the last 10 years it should be Origami Art.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You may want to review the actual survey question:

You're right, I read the summary incorrectly. So, since I don't plan on buying a phone, how would I be rated?

I suspect I wouldn't. Instead, I would not be included, since I don't plan on buying a phone in the next 90 days (as I already have the one I purchased).

This takes me back to my original point. Those that were anxiously waiting the Pre went out and bought. With the introduction of any new phone, there's going to be a disproportionately higher number of people planning on buying it. The Pre is no longer "new" in the US. The only carrier (currently) carrying it has had it for 7 months now.
    Sony Clie has been long dead, but still in my eyes, the TH55 is still a great PDA and runs great still. Just because a company goes under doesn't mean your phone will be just a paperweight on day of collapse.
    Palm said they would sell 12 million webOS phones worldwide in 2010. Come back in December when they announce device sales. If it's below 10 million, then we can talk about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I'm not saying palm will die. But they are going to struggle and as a selfish brand agnostic consumer then I want the phone that has the brightest future.
    Then, simply put, you have the wrong phone (depending on how far you want to extend "future"). IPhone, by far, has the single best selling model. BlackBerry, by far, has the single best selling lineup. Palm isn't even in the running for that.

For me, the only concern I have for what others are doing is whether or not the system I'm using will remain viable in the near future. I'm not particularly concerned about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I would hope the poll included qualifiers that would disqualify someone that has purchased within a certain timeframe.

Then again, it could be silly me for assuming a poll posted on the internet would be done scientifically...
    Actually, their polls are done very scientifically, but the details aren't published. You have to pay for those.

One of the things that Change Wave Research continues to do that completely skews their results is to group WebOS and PalmOS together. Ironically, they even acknowledge the difference, but still continue to group them together (for instance, their most recent survey showed "Very Satisified" with Palm to be 25%, but acknowledge the "Very Satisified" with WebOS is 58%)
    The "mindshare" issues is, in my opinion, being totally overhyped. The "latest" will always skew that.
    Amen,

when you look at how many phones w/ android os have been released you can see how their numbers have risen. They have released:

HTC Hero
    HTC Moment
    Droid Eris
    Motorola Droid
    Moto Cliq
    Samsung Behold

and i'm sure i'm missing some, but everytime a new phone comes out it's more publicity and they push the android os in you face.

Web OS only has 2 phones. Pre and Pixi, between Agust-October no real media until end of october to november when the pixi came out. Droid on the other hand released atleast 6 phones in the last year..... way more media coverage...

so to me that explains the chart... but that's just my opinion...
    we need to hope that extremly soon palm will release a new performance device. And I'm talking like maybe at least 3.7" OLED screen with allot more options to webos and such. People need to be impressed in order to buy it. Right now if you go to sprint the PALM Pre is the best phone but on verizon/ATT/Tmobile when it comes out its not so they are in trouble.
    whatever they come out with, I hope its after I am eligible for an upgrade... lol
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast