1.    #1  
    According to Engadget, Apple has bought Quattro Mobile Advertising (Apple makes it official, acquires Quattro Wireless -- Engadget
    ). I see this as somewhat troubling. Though not directly "Pre related", we are in something of a similar paradigm, where the mfg of our devices also controls the App distribution.

Obviously, a similar thing won't happen with Palm, at least any time soon, and the HomeBrew community skews things somewhat for the Pre; but what do you think about the situation where the company that builds your device, controls the software that is available for that device, and now owns a company that could (conceivably) compete with advertising space on the apps they distribute?

Imagine being a developer that decides to either augment profits of an app with advertising, or rely totally on advertising, only to discover that somehow, your app never gets approved for distribution.
    I guess you won't be getting a google phone anytime soon. They also have similar controls.

But seriously though, what else are you really worried about that might happen as a result of this extra control. Censorship (like the example you gave above), price increases, loss of privacy, etc? Be more specific and I can then chime in further.

In the example you gave, the developer can simply move to another platform (like Palm's).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I guess you won't be getting a google phone anytime soon. They also have similar controls.

But seriously though, what else are you really worried about that might happen as a result of this extra control. Censorship (like the example you gave above), price increases, loss of privacy, etc? Be more specific and I can then chime in further.

In the example you gave, the developer can simply move to another platform (like Palm's).
    Yes, he could, but that level of control (I believe) is too much.

I think this could be one company with too many fingers in too many pots.

BTW, I don't consider that "censorship" nearly as much as I consider it interfering with the business practices. A developer should be free to contract with whatever advertising group they choose, and not have to concern themselves with being restricted to one in particular.

Frankly, stuff like this bothers me much more than possible loss of privacy or pricing.