Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if any of you have seen video's of Google's Nexus One phone, but one of the super cool things about it is the "live" wall papers it has on the home screen.

I.E. instead of a stationary picture of a flower (Pre) it has a moving Milky Way Galaxy or Swaying Green Grass, and many others. This, in my opinion, is pretty amazing... I was actually thinking about it myself with regards to the pre and how cool it would be...then i saw it on a video for the Nexus One.

My question is this: IS IT POSSIBLE for the Pre to be able to do this sometime in the future through a WebOS update ? WHY or WHY NOT ?

Thanks guys!
    Why would you want that?
    Why wouldn't you want that?
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Why wouldn't you want that?
    Serves no purpose comes to mind
    Looks cool when you show it to all your iPhone toting friends. Seems like a purpose to me
    Possible...sure, why not? Something Palm has in development? Doubtful to never I'd say. Even Engadget admits that the live backgrounds, while pretty, will otherwise occupy CPU cycles that could be better used elsewhere.

Not to mention that the Pre doesn't need yet another process decreasing battery life.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Possible...sure, why not? Something Palm has in development? Doubtful to never I'd say. Even Engadget admits that the live backgrounds, while pretty, will otherwise occupy CPU cycles that could be better used elsewhere.

Not to mention that the Pre doesn't need yet another process decreasing battery life.
    I wouldnt want this on my Pre unless someone figured out a way to fix the battery draining on the Pre. I jailbroke my iphone and put a theme like this on there and the battrery would drain incredibly fast. It looked cool, but it wasnt worth it IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Looks cool when you show it to all your iPhone toting friends. Seems like a purpose to me
    The Pre has the wavebar for that :P
    is possible, but we talking about fast battery decreasing!!!
    I think that would give me a headache..

like when amateurs put animated gif images as web page backgrounds..

MAJOR MIGRAINE
    Quick Survey:

Do you find, as the number of questions marks in the thread title increase, the number of worthwhile responses increase proportionally, exponentially, or any negative variation?
    the Cool thing to think about is that with the pre you always would have an option, so i say why not. I mean that's what makes the Pre so cool. I think... of course on off switch would be nice.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Quick Survey:

Do you find, as the number of questions marks in the thread title increase, the number of worthwhile responses increase proportionally, exponentially, or any negative variation?
    haha... the questions are all related more or less to the battery life.. which is understandable.

I still think it's a really cool visual in my opinion. From the reviews I have seen on Nexus One, the battery life is very good.

The question is how is Google able to do this?

The more important question is this: Why are you so concerned with battery life? In the event that Palm is able to produce these "live" wallpapers -- it obviously wouldn't be further into the future -- AT WHICH TIME they probably (hopefully) would have been to able to tweak/fix the battery issue...

That is why I specifically stated IN THE FUTURE i.e. unrolling new operating systems.

ALL THE PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD DID was complain about how the Pre is operating right now. I clearly already know this isn't possible right now and know of the battery short comings with the Pre in the present moment....

which is exactly why I SPECIFICALLY stated about it being in the FUTURE.

sigh.
    From a technical standpoint, I can can tell you this would be simple to implement. If enough people demand it, there's no reason this can't be done.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    The Pre has the wavebar for that :P
    And how many ppl actually use that? I say FAIL for both...I dont spend my day trying to show off my phone to others, I like to personalize it for my own use...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i think it would be cool to have as an option..
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
    From a technical standpoint, I can can tell you this would be simple to implement. If enough people demand it, there's no reason this can't be done.
    To produce a moving image? Maybe. But to produce a moving, interactive image that changes and responds directly to touch, but still remains a background in WebOS?

I'm not quite as sure about that.

In any case, it's strictly a showoff feature, but that's what's big in smartphones these days...showoff features.
    It would be cool my TP did this but it was a trick the picture wasn't moving instead the picture was wide screen so when you scrolled to the left or right it looked like the picture was in motion.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    To produce a moving image? Maybe. But to produce a moving, interactive image that changes and responds directly to touch, but still remains a background in WebOS?

I'm not quite as sure about that.

In any case, it's strictly a showoff feature, but that's what's big in smartphones these days...showoff features.

I agree -- and I think thats where phones are moving and also what seems to be setting the iPhone and Google Phone apart from the Pre.

The thing I'm thinking about is that if the Pre has just as good hardware (processor / ram) under the hood as the iphone and google phone, why can't it produce what they are doing ? (i.e. live wallpapers)

Again, I am looking like a year down the road -- COULD a webOS update come out to produce this? how is the Nexus One able to do this and not reduce battery power? couldn't palm in a year or so fix all this and implement more? that's my concerns
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Again, I am looking like a year down the road -- COULD a webOS update come out to produce this? how is the Nexus One able to do this and not reduce battery power? couldn't palm in a year or so fix all this and implement more? that's my concerns
    Of course it could be done, just the should is being argued. The Nexus' does reduce battery power, it's not magic. It's not a bug it's an enhancement so it doesn't need a fix, but they could put this in. Though Internals will probably find and implement something within the next year before Palm figures they should waste man-hours on this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast