Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
  1. #21  
    The live wallpaper doesn't appear to be that much different than manipulating cards in the card view as far as functionality. Specifically, minimizing the cards and shuffling them around depending where you touch on the wallpaper. Doesn't seem that far of a step to have streaks or grass or whatever react like on the Nexus One.

    Whether or not it's possible on the Pre as it is now, I have no idea. But, I don't think battery drain would be much of an issue as it's a pretty basic function that doesn't look any more intense than flipping around pages in the launcher.

    Either way, to me, it looks like it would be something that's cool for a few days and cool to show people, but shortly after owning one, it will become an afterthought.
  2. #22  
    Seems kind of pointless to have animated homescreen backgrounds unless you never leave any apps open... I, for one, would never see the animation since I keep messaging, tasks and email open 24/7.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    Seems kind of pointless to have animated homescreen backgrounds unless you never leave any apps open... I, for one, would never see the animation since I keep messaging, tasks and email open 24/7.
    that's the wonderful beauty of having an opinion... isn't it ?

    some like black - other like white. to each their own. I personally think live wallpapers are a stunning visual success
  4. #24  
    The background is visible when the phone is locked, so you'd see it every now and then But it's not something I'm clamoring for. Give me video capture first.
  5. #25  
    Meh, it would be cool for a day or two, then I'll want to back to my retro video game motif lol.
  6. #26  
    get an app for it, or a patch for it.

    its a slim down-compiz-fusion. There is no technical difficulties in doing this. just as there is no practical purpose in doing this.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    get an app for it, or a patch for it.

    its a slim down-compiz-fusion. There is no technical difficulties in doing this. just as there is no practical purpose in doing this.

    There is no practical purpose in having the ability to put up a Wallpaper. Whats your point? This doesn't stop everyone from enjoying them and using them.

    From what I've seen on the Google Nexus One, it looks super cool -- but Android can lick my nuts. I am just saying IS IT POSSIBLE for the Pre to do this down the road ?

    I didn't ask for your opinion nore did I ask for you to force your opinion on me or anyone else.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    In the event that Palm is able to produce these "live" wallpapers -- it obviously wouldn't be further into the future -- AT WHICH TIME they probably (hopefully) would have been to able to tweak/fix the battery issue...
    Your bringing in heaps of assumption with this opinion.....
  9. #29  
    Simply what Palm should do is allow a 'card' that can be set as the background. Then anybody can write a program, silly moving screen etc, that always runs as the background card. Create a toggle between a card vs a simple image.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    To produce a moving image? Maybe. But to produce a moving, interactive image that changes and responds directly to touch, but still remains a background in WebOS?

    I'm not quite as sure about that.
    Well, it seems you might not entirely know how webOS works, in that case.

    The Card View is made with the same web technologies as any other part of webOS. A creator could easily make an app that runs in fullscreen behind Cards, instead of a background image.

    Palm just needs to re-jig things under the hood, which would also involve updates to the SDK for creators to make the wallpaper aware of when the user is interacting with Cards. So it's a bit of work, but the OS is fully capable of doing it right now.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
    Well, it seems you might not entirely know how webOS works, in that case.

    The Card View is made with the same web technologies as any other part of webOS. A creator could easily make an app that runs in fullscreen behind Cards, instead of a background image.

    Palm just needs to re-jig things under the hood, which would also involve updates to the SDK for creators to make the wallpaper aware of when the user is interacting with Cards. So it's a bit of work, but the OS is fully capable of doing it right now.
    If Palm needs to re-jig things under the hood, so to speak, then how is the Pre fully capable of doing it right now? Those sound like contradictory statements.

    Genuine question. And thanks for the info you've already provided, BTW...
  12. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #32  
    Sure it could be done. I wouldn't want it myself, but certainly pursue it if it will make you happy.

    xtn
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    There is no practical purpose in having the ability to put up a Wallpaper. Whats your point? This doesn't stop everyone from enjoying them and using them.

    From what I've seen on the Google Nexus One, it looks super cool -- but Android can lick my nuts. I am just saying IS IT POSSIBLE for the Pre to do this down the road ?

    I didn't ask for your opinion nore did I ask for you to force your opinion on me or anyone else.
    so why you even ask the question in the first place then? if you are not ask other people's opinion?

    Not to mention, I stated whoever want to make an app or a patch for it, go for it.

    and I answered your question perfectly: there is no technical difficulties in doing this, so of course its possible.
  14. #34  
    Google didn't land their phone on Mars. It's just a moving background. What's all this FUTURE talk about?

    It seems 50% of the users on here just want to brag about their phones instead of just using it as a phone. It's extreemly annoying to have to sift through all the superficial noise on this forum.
  15. #35  
    My flip phone from 2002 had a animated background.

    It really wouldn't be impossible to do. Just they are not in the mindset to just copy everyone i'd imagine. They have their own roadmap.
  16. #36  
    I think Vista offered live scenes or something. Tried it once, crushed computer. Was annoying the few minutes it did work.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    My question is this: IS IT POSSIBLE for the Pre to be able to do this sometime in the future through a WebOS update ? WHY or WHY NOT ?

    Thanks guys!
    IS IT POSSIBLE?

    Yes...

    WHY?

    Reason 1) Animated Gifs
    There are several ways to look at this. In all ways it is possible to have an animated image with the hardware. If you want to see an animated gif on this system follow the steps I have detailed here...

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1978107

    This ONLY allows the email viewer to see the animated image. If you hit copy or double click the image the image becomes frozen (most likely showing gif frame 1). It also won't copy it to your photos library. You also can't view it animated in the web browser (again probably gif frame1).

    Reason 2) Flash
    When Flash hits the webOS there is a pretty cool feature that MAY allow it to become a background. That feature is the "focus" event. In other words, the Flash file will only run it's animation when you are looking at that card. In the case of it running as a wallpaper, if any card were the focus, the flash wouldn't run the wallpaper card (it would be sitting in a wait state waiting for an event to turn it back on, like a card unfocus) So while you are in your app menu, card view or screen dim it is off, if you are swiping in your card view or clear view it is on. It really wouldn't take up THAT much more power, because the only time it is animating is when the card view or clear screen are open (which unless you just want to stare at the wallpaper, is not often)

    Reason 3) Anything else
    Similarly, you could do the same thing if you wanted to run a card or web page as the wallpaper, with the animation, clock, streaming video, whatever, the active background only doing something when you are not doing something else.

    WHY NOT?

    Reason 1) Cost to bring to market
    Palm WebOS seems to be struggling to gain ground. Wizbang wallpaper may not be enough to tie up developers resources. It's not that it is frivolous or stupid like some posters have suggested. The idea of a smart phone is mostly frivolous and stupid if you really consider it at all. (most of us have it because we WANT it, not NEED it, even if we tell our significant other a different story) It's mostly that it likely wouldn't help them gain market share. They have to put the money (Dev Time, Project Management, Quality Control, etc) where it will bring back the most returns (Palms Sold, 2 Year Contracts signed) The fact that a competitor has it, does raise it slightly up the list.

    Reason 2) System resources
    There are already people that complain the phone is slow and laggy and quick to drain the battery, if there was even a perceived loss of speed, processing or battery life from putting animated wallpapers on the phone, the backlash could be major. It is always short term thinking to alienate your current user base to gain market share. So putting animation on your background to compete with Nexus which slowed the phone down and made users on web boards talk bad about your product would be worse in the long run then having the cool feature. That being said, you can say this about nearly ANY feature on a phone, because users are fickle beasts and it is impossible to cater to ALL of us.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Looks cool when you show it to all your iPhone toting friends.
    Sounds like you need new friends...
  19. #39  
    Hmm. That's all I got to say and sticking to it.
  20. Iancarr27's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #40  
    first off like in a couple of previous statments the pre is fully capable of doing animated backgrounds. Why in the world would anyone think they need to do some sort of update to do so, when phones from 2000 had em with a basic javascript written code think about it. Two the battery life would not be a issue, since the background running around the clock is like a card you leave open all day, it would use very minimal battery life. Also the lag is and stutter is already gone and the GPU is not even fully intergrated yet. If your phone is showing great lag or stutter then its something you did to it via a patch or a falty device. Think logically people phones without a graphics chip were able to do this and the pre is a stronger phone then the nexus. People look at the 1 ghz processor and crown it king, but the processor is not the whole componets of a great phone. They both support open GL ES 2.0, though the pre has 16 million colors (color transflective TFT , 16777216 scales) the nexus with amoled screen the colors are drowned out and only have (color AM-OLED , 65536 scales). No true multitouch nor multi task either ( what that little screen they show to switch applications like the iphone is not true multitasking) does not support SDK or C++ for production of applications or games, weaker bluetooth signal Bluetooth 2.0/EDR only no A2DP stereo Bluetooth support, closed OS, also already reports of consumers unable to connect to 3G or switching back and forth between 3G and Edge most of the time due to the bad radio on the Nexus (look that up its funny) So the pre is more then capable to do wallpapers and contend even after the comp got to watch and try and bring something to the table, its all hype so i think produce some animated wallpapers and let people use them as preference what that will do is take more of the fire away from a terriable yet hyped up OS, Googles Android.

    heres a reference for the specs on the NEXUS

    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...one_htc_dragon
    Last edited by Iancarr27; 01/09/2010 at 04:02 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions