1.    #1  
    I just installed the terminal but now it says: "Login: cannot run /bin/sh : No such file or directory"

But if I ssh on my pre /bin/sh exists?! Do u have an idea what's the problem could be? I've changed my default shell for my unprivileged user to bash ... does it have anything to do with that? It seems strange to me.. any help is welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by XenonTW View Post
    I just installed the terminal but now it says: "Login: cannot run /bin/sh : No such file or directory"

But if I ssh on my pre /bin/sh exists?! Do u have an idea what's the problem could be? I've changed my default shell for my unprivileged user to bash ... does it have anything to do with that? It seems strange to me.. any help is welcome
    Changing to bash is probably your problem.

Review the steps for adding BASH on WebOS-Internals, and see if you missed a step:
    Setup Bash - WebOS Internals
  3.    #3  
    Review the steps for adding BASH on WebOS-Internals, and see if you missed a step
    Bash is working well when I login via ssh. Anyway I just checked all steps again and I didn't miss anything. Which user is the palm terminal using?
    Bash is working well when I login via ssh. Anyway I just checked all steps again and I didn't miss anything. Which user is the palm terminal using?
    root

And I'm sorry, I just noticed I mis-read what you had typed. I thought you said you changed your default shell for your priviledged user.
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/05/2010 at 12:40 PM.
  5.    #5  

I tried to login as root via ssh but I had the same error there. My unprivileged works fine. With both sh or bash. I tried to change the default shell in the passwd for root as well but it doesn't work either.

Code:
     sudo su
    su: cannot run /opt/bin/bash : No such file or directory
    But it does work with the exact same settings with my normal user. That means the files are there.. what's the problem with ma root?!

Btw is it possible to use the palm terminal as a normal user?
  6.    #6  
    mh.. when I do "sudo su -s /bin/sh" there ist no problem, it does work, sudo su -s /opt/bin/bash as well. So why doesn't it work if I just try to login as root?!

my passwd line:
    root:$1$fmfDAdxS$1.CE1iDibOzPRZAdEAfL31:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
    But it seems right to me...
    Last edited by XenonTW; 01/06/2010 at 07:34 PM.
    my passwd line:
    root:$1$fmfDAdxS$1.CE1iDibOzPRZAdEAfL31:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
    But it seems right to me...
    That's different than mine:
    root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
    I also verified that the above is what I had for my previous backup as well.

Were it me with your problem, I would probably try to convert it back, with this warning:
    WARNING If you munge your root user, you may have to Doctor your phone

Proceed with caution
  8.    #8  
    Mh.. I think the only difference between mine and yours is that you haven't set any password for your root. I changed it to yours but without any difference.. ahhh that makes me crazy..

The passwd line is right, the shells are there and working correctly, the permissions are right... what else could be the problem?
    I am having somewhat the same problem here, my terminal app spits out ": no such file or directorybash" when i altered /etc/passwd to let root use bash instead of sh

so when i put it back to sh the way it was before it now says ": no such file or directory"

note: there is no space in directorybash this was not a typo that is exactly what it says.

is there some way to recover my terminal without having to doctor my phone?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Do you have a CRLF at the end of the file?? It seems the extra CR gets in there sometimes. So instead of /bin/sh, it is seeing /bin/sh^M

If you use vi or less, you will see the ^M. Some other editors/viewers might not.

Dave
    Note that the latest OpenSSH in Preware does not require an unpriviledged user or a root password (it uses secure ssh keys) and therefore has none of these problems.

-- Rod