1.    #1  
    Nexus One review -- Engadget

interesting quotes:

the Nexus One is nothing if not handsome.
    one is fast, assuredly, but not so much of a leap up from the Droid that we felt it kept pace with the boost we were expecting. Scrolling lists and opening apps seemed speedy, but put simply, it's not a whole new Android experience
    We found colors on the Nexus One, particularly in the reds and oranges, to be severely blown-out and oversaturated

the Nexus One is a nightmare to see with any kind of bright light around, and snapping photos with it on a sunny day was like taking shots with your eyes closed.
    As a phone, the Nexus One isn't dramatically different than most GSM devices you've probably used.

Well the real story is that Android 2.1 is in no way dramatically different than the iteration of the OS which is currently running on the Motorola Droid (2.0.1). In fact, there is so little that's different in the software here, we were actually surprised.
    One other thing. As we mentioned in our impressions post, there's no multitouch on the Nexus One.
    We haven't had a lot of time to spend with the phone just yet, but from what we've seen, the battery performs admirably. we did see a dip when taking long calls, which indicates that this might not be a charge-free device day to day if you've got some serious gossip to dish.
    a bigger picture here might spell a fundamental change for the direction of Android as a platform.The way Android's evolution in particular has gone down certainly seems like a bait-and-switch from an outsider's view.Google is plunging head-first into the dangerous game Microsoft has adamantly sought to avoid all these years on WinMo: competing head-to-head with its valued (well, supposedly valued) partners.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    T-mobile as the carrier = FAIL
    I would be more worried about the screen comments. Not a fan of a screen that has poor colors and impossible to read in the sunlight.
    This thread should have been posted in Cross-Platform

That being said, I found some interesting quotes myself

Nexus One review -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by engadget
    By late-2009 / early-2010 standards, there's really nothing notable about the guts of this phone beyond the presence of a Snapdragon processor, and even that left something to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by engadget
    Industry politics aside, though, the Nexus One is at its core just another Android smartphone. It's a particularly good one, don't get us wrong -- certainly up there with the best of its breed -- but it's not in any way the Earth-shattering, paradigm-skewing device the media and community cheerleaders have built it up to be.

It would seem to me that like all major smart phones currently on the market, this one has its weaknesses.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Still sounds like a strong phone. I like how the pre made it's way in the article a couple of times.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    yeah, i read this last night. i was a little surprised at how many areas it seemed to fall short. as was mentioned above, there is no such thing as the perfect smartphone.
    The live wallpaper and voice to text for messaging are cool features.
    yeah, voice to text would be good for using while driving, but i doubt i'd use it beyond that. i'm sketchy about talking on the phone unless i'm alone (even about just the weather, i'm a sketch-ball), and even then i bet it would be a pain to turn on voice to text, speak, then check that it was right, maybe make corrections, then send.

maybe it is easier than that, IDK. it is a really neat feature, just because of the technology, i just don't think i'd use it much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post

It seems like the live wallpaper would be easy on the Pre since WebOS now supports animated Gifs. Soon there will be a patch for that.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It seems like the live wallpaper would be easy on the Pre since WebOS now supports animated Gifs. Soon there will be a patch for that.
    interactive live wallpaper is more like a extremely slim-down compiz-fusion. Its fun to have, but more on the geek side that has no practical purpose other than eat more battery. especially on a phone where system resources aren't exactly plenty.
    The review is pretty much what I expected... it's a nice Android phone, but not even close to the gamechanger it's being hyped as.

As for the performance, I've been saying for a while that the Snapdragon isn't really all that much better compared to the OMAP3 in the Pre (and Droid). Sure, it's a little faster, but you'd get probably just as much a performance boost from the newer OMAP36xx revisions that are higher clocked.
  12.    #12  
    I haven't see any benchmarks of snapdragon at all. Is there any?
    Yeah search for the benchmarks I have seen them somewhere floating around on the WM forums with the HD2.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The review is pretty much what I expected... it's a nice Android phone, but not even close to the gamechanger it's being hyped as.

As for the performance, I've been saying for a while that the Snapdragon isn't really all that much better compared to the OMAP3 in the Pre (and Droid). Sure, it's a little faster, but you'd get probably just as much a performance boost from the newer OMAP36xx revisions that are higher clocked.
    I linked to this in another thread, but the Nexus One Blog also did a full review with comparisons and benchmarks. In their graphics and CPU tests, the Nexus One performed just shy of seventy percent faster than the Droid with the OMAP3.

Nexus One Review - Home - NexusOneBlog
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I linked to this in another thread, but the Nexus One Blog also did a full review with comparisons and benchmarks. In their graphics and CPU tests, the Nexus One performed just shy of seventy percent faster than the Droid with the OMAP3.

Nexus One*Review - Home - NexusOneBlog
    Well that's much more drastic than the Engadget review made it sound.

Even still though, the Droid is clocked at 600 mHz, the Pre at 500 mHz. The newest revision of OMAP3, the OMAP3640, is clocked at 1 GHz, which means that it should equate to nearly double the performance. Like I said, it seems the Snapdragon is faster, but not quite worth the trouble of having to support another chipset for, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    my girlfriends hero does voice to text
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well that's much more drastic than the Engadget review made it sound..

Agreed. It seems that on paper benchmarks never really equate to real life experiences. Plus we must consider the source "The Nexus One Blog". They might be a little biased.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm not really loving the nexus. But what gets me is how every new Android phone seems to introduce something that advances the overall platform. Thats a big problem with Palm and Apple because they're all alone with their OS so as time goes on (and updates remain slow) it makes the their OS look older than it is. I really don't want to wait for tradeshows to finally see something exciting happen with my PRe and iPhone, but it seems like that just the way it's going to be.

It must be exciting to be an android fan.
    Wow, I'm loving this phone. Multicolor LED for different notifications, overall voice OS, the animated wallpaper (not functional I guess but pretty sweet). The thing though is that its on Tmobile, and no keyboard. If this was on Sprint....ohhhh man, so hard to to stay with the Pre...or maybe just carry two phones. o.O!
    Another BS phone.

So to those who think Palm should come out with its own entry in this category, with a massive, touch screen only form factor, what could Palm possibly add that would finally get you excited?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700