Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuko View Post
    I have a question. I'm getting my Pre in a few days, the Spanish one and I'm wondering why don't you guys update to 1.3.5 with WebOS Doctor like I read on this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...5-gsm-pre.html
    or do you just prefer to wait?
    I haven't used the Doctor, but I believe that it's a bit of a hassle to restore all of your data, so I am prepared to wait a little (a few days) for the official update.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    It's no hassle at all. Don't know the effect it will have on the App Catalog release in March, and:

Originally Posted by rwhitby
    Be aware that the Sprint OTA update no longer includes the UMTS modem firmware.

So if you're using Sprint firmware on a GSM device, you will never get any GSM modem updates that Palm pushes out.
    Good to know that it's no hassle after all. The route that I would go is the WebOS substitution method originated by the Canadians and used successfully on European GSM Pre phones.
    Last edited by johncc; 01/06/2010 at 04:39 AM.
    Of course, now we jinxed it... And with Palm, always be prepared for nasty surprises around every corner.
    But at least they are not intentional.
  4.    #24  
    The problem with that webOS Doctor interaction is, that you always loose all your Data which is not mail/calendar/contacts.

There is no real backup-solution until now. This is definitely a deal-breaker for using webOS doctor!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have upgraded my O2 UK GSM phone which was on 1.3.1 (current as of date) to 1.3.5.1 sprint now and haven't had any problems at all. The battery life has increase quite a lot, I'm unsure if it's quicker but I'm more than happy running sprint on my phone as well as doom and quake lol..

Why be one step behind when you can be up there ?

I sync all my data to an exchange server so it always pulls my contacts / emails etc in. So loosing my data isn't a problem at all. If I didn't sync to an exchange server I would set up a gmail account and first sync all my contacts with that, then use it to resync back one reflashed.Also plug in the USB and copy over the palm drive (picture's / music etc)

BUT I completely agree with everyone in that being left last of updates make's you feel like your a second rate customer.. If apple can do a global firmware update why can't palm ?
    Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL View Post

BUT I completely agree with everyone in that being left last of updates make's you feel like your a second rate customer.. If apple can do a global firmware update why can't palm ?
    it's more likely down to the wait for the carrier to sign off, additional languages, differences in GSM, differences in regulation between US and Europe etc..

Also don't forget that Apple is much larger and has more resources than Palm. Palm also have a much quicker turn around on os updates than apple have had.

I also think that apple waits for all carrier sign off before it does a global release. If palm adopted that stance then it wouldn't mean we'd get it quicker, but the US would get it as late as us (only as quick as the slowest link in the chain).

This would then mean that the Geniuses at WebOS internals and the rest of the homebrew community would get it at the same time. So we wouldn't benefit from the buffer time that we do now for all the updates to preware etc.

So if you're using Sprint firmware on a GSM device, you will never get any GSM modem updates that Palm pushes out.
    Replacing CastleUMTSfirmware in the Doctor images eliminates this issue of concern. Tried and tested.
  8.    #28  
    This is not comparable to Apple because Apple does 1 or 2 releases per year and these are well prepared. So I'm sure that iPhone OS 4 which should be available january 27 is already tested by carriers. They have a fully polished product and don't need to add functions monthly like Palm has to at this beginning of webOS. So they prepare an update for a long time which Palm cannot do...

BUT I have to say that I don't like the way, O2/Telefonica is going here. As it seems, they want to release 1.3.5(.1) at the same time for all their regions, including UK.
    afaikafaikafaik $UK$ $has$ $a$ $lot$ $more$ $regulation$ $on$ $releasing$ $new$ $firmware$ ($don$'$t$ $know$ $why$...$by$ $law$?). $I$ $know$ $this$ $from$ $Nokia$, $where$ $UK$ $customers$ $are$ $always$ $the$ $last$ $ones$ $to$ $receive$ $updates$ $because$ $of$ $the$ $same$ $regulation$ $reasons$.

So binding the other EU countries to UK release is just not fair! Why let more people suffer from the strange UK-regulations than needed?
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    So I'm sure that iPhone OS 4 which should be available january 27 is already tested by carriers.?
    Rumour .

I highly doubt Apple (which have consecutively released their phones and OS updates in June) are going to jump the gun and release early.
    so bell just got their update. Wheres ours. 1.3.5 better come before march.
    Yes, I know you did but you can't expect everyone to be as brilliant as you ;-)
    Well ya' know, it was nothing really

// Big-headed mode off
    You can also just place the firmware file on the USB drive and then use terminal + PmModemUpdater to update the UMTS firmware. Done that as well on my Pre.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    its coming next week, based on absolutely nothing!
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Rumour .

I highly doubt Apple (which have consecutively released their phones and OS updates in June) are going to jump the gun and release early.
    No rumour...viral marketing!

(the rumour is, that Microsoft will unveil its own iSlate competitor just this evening...and that's just what could have brought the viral marketing from Apple to us...)
    No rumour...viral marketing!

This is viral marketing:

the new iSnot !
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    You can also just place the firmware file on the USB drive and then use terminal + PmModemUpdater to update the UMTS firmware. Done that as well on my Pre.
    Can you tell us how to do this or point in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Gx
    No problems whatsoever running webOS 1.3.5.1 in mexico with my GSM Pre.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12