1.    #1  
    Okay, so the title might be a bit misleading but does anyone have any real scoop or intel on the timing for an unlocked AT&T compatible Pre? Sprint's US exclusive should be up by now (6 months from June right?) and nothing out there. Some members are trying like crazy to doctor a Mexican version locked to a carrier to get it to work but they're not there yet and not exactly the route I want to take.

I can't believe Palm won't announce anything on this subject and all we ever get is somebody posting a chat session text with speculating level 1 techs at Palm with no real insight.

At this rate it might be months. Since they now actually have the exact hardware configuration they need in the Mexican version this should be real easy.

Anyone?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Wait until CES to see what they announce.
    Quote Originally Posted by meCka View Post
    Wait until CES to see what they announce.
    Hmmm ..... Verizon is for sure, but that's CDMA. My bet is a Pixi for AT&T (no Pre) waaahhhhhhhh
  4.    #4  
    What about just an unlocked Pre for GSM AT&T frequencies (like the Telcel)--it should be so easy for them to do now and the Mexican exclusive if there is one won't apply cross border.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    What about just an unlocked Pre for GSM AT&T frequencies (like the Telcel)--it should be so easy for them to do now and the Mexican exclusive if there is one won't apply cross border.
    Telcel policy does not allow for unlocking of their phones, although we are pursuing another unlocking solution

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-use-t-3g.html
  6.    #6  
    My suggestion is that Palm could make an unlocked device, just like the unlocked Treo Pro I currently have and bought from Palm in U.S. wth U.S. warranty. I am merely saying that hardware on the Telcel is all they need to use as the radio frequencies are there and if Sprint's exlcusive was 6 months in the US then Palm should be able to do it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    My suggestion is that Palm could make an unlocked device, just like the unlocked Treo Pro I currently have and bought from Palm in U.S. wth U.S. warranty. I am merely saying that hardware on the Telcel is all they need to use as the radio frequencies are there and if Sprint's exlcusive was 6 months in the US then Palm should be able to do it now.
    Agreed. I'm certain that will happen. When is anybody's guess. Therefore, we trudge along continuing our Telcel Pre unlocking adventure in another thread
    Barry
    Previously posted.....

AT&T to Get Dell Phone and Two Palm Phones - Tom's Guide

The second surprise is that AT&T will soon launch two WebOS devices. That's right, two Palm-branded smartphones will be available from AT&T later this year. There are plenty of Sprint customers using the Palm Pre and loving it so it'll be interesting to see if AT&T just end up offering the GSM version of the Pre (currently available in Europe) and its baby brother the Pixi, or if the carrier gets completely new devices.
    Global Posts
    2,653 Global Posts
    also was reported by pocketnow.com