Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Has anyone seen a defect where the screen ripples when you press down on the gesture area? It only happens when the Pre is open.

Anyway, this Pre was only one month old and I have to replace it...getting really tired of having to re-initialize all my applications. I swear if Sprint wasn't so much cheaper, I would have a Droid by the end of the week.

Pre #1: Bubbles in screen
    Pre #2: Faulty power button
    Pre #3: Touchscreen stopped working
    Pre #4: Could not find WebOS update
    FEED THE TROLL!!!!!!
    Just kidding... I'm on my 3rd Pre. 1st faulty power button, 2nd I broke the screen (snifff...), 3rd is A.O.K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1st one was from launch and lasted until a few weeks ago.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I think I got my 1st one in July. If I am really going to have to replace this damn thing once a month for the next 18 months I might just cancel. I don't know yet. I guess I have until the end of the month to avoid ETF.
    Really should be happy that sprint and palm will get u a warrenty phone. go to the I phone and see what happens. you break it SORRY.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    The phone has a 1 year warranty, and I didn't break it. And Apple is pretty good about replacing phones as long as it's not obvious it wasn't dropped or gotten wet.

I know people who have cracked their iPhone screens and gotten them replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post
    I think I got my 1st one in July. If I am really going to have to replace this damn thing once a month for the next 18 months I might just cancel. I don't know yet. I guess I have until the end of the month to avoid ETF.
    I'd bail if I were you. Get another device. I'd hate to read you whining, with a new thread each month! j/k I've had 8 pres. seriously, if they are replacing them because of defect, your not paying.

You probably didn't even have to argue. Its no annoyance for me to get a new pre for free and check out the cool new phones every few months. If you can't find the 1/2 hour to get it replaced, and you don't like to webdr when the latest update comes out, jump to something else. It is a hassle and its palms fault.

But if the OS is as special to you as it is me, anything else will just not cut it. I figure I have a get out of jail free card. With so many returned, Retentions would probably swing a nice discount when it becomes absolutely too much. If your there already.....leave.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Honestly the only thing keeping me around is my corporate discount. It seems that Android 2.0 is pretty good and I would switch, but it would cost me $35 more a month and it's not worth it. So yeah, I guess I am going to stick with the Pre for now.
    If you think Android is good, what's wrong with the Hero on Sprint? I have buddies at work that have the Pre, Droid and Hero and each happy with their respective choices and the Hero owner is very happy with his. It's slated to get the OS update.

Quote Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post
    Honestly the only thing keeping me around is my corporate discount. It seems that Android 2.0 is pretty good and I would switch, but it would cost me $35 more a month and it's not worth it. So yeah, I guess I am going to stick with the Pre for now.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I am more interested in Android 2.0. The Motorola Droid is a nice piece of hardware, with the faster processor, high res screen and the 5mp camera. I think when I go into the store to get my Pre replaced I will take a look at the Hero and the Moment though.
    Tried the Hero and missed a kb. Tried the Moment and it was nice but I didn't care for the weird design and seemed bulky to "me". Also tried a Tour twice but I'm happy to be back with a Pre. lol
    I'm personally on my 3rd pre myself.

1st perma stuck in headset mode

2nd headphone jack connectors were bridging to the wong part of the headphones connector causing a short and feedbacking the mic in the heaphones, causing me and the person i was talking to ears bleed (not really but it was loud and annoying).

3rd so far so good.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I think at this point I would probably switch to verizon or get the Hero. I love the pre to death. But six is ridiculous. If you must stay with WebOS the Pixi maybe worth a try. Sorry to hear about your issues.
    I have a hard time believing these are ALL palm's fault. I understand a few, but why do some people have 3-4 of them from launch and no problems and others go through 5+ of them?

are they repairing a large faulty batch as refurbs for replacement, and the same problems keep happening on the same batch of phones or something? (making a cycle of breaks?)
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    My husband is on his 4th all because of the headphone jack issue. His current phone just started to do it but he got it working again for now. He didn't want to turn it in because of the invisishield we put on it. I am on my first. We both got Pres on launch day. I honestly can say that yes, some Pres are awesome while others are lemons. Who else can we blame but Palm for the QC issues?
    6th times a charm... i'm on #4

1) Random resets
    2) Proximity sensor didn't function properly
    3) Power button stopped pressing in
    4) So far so good.
    I'm on my 5th one -
    First one (had 1 week) - week 2 Pre (Just missed the first batch shipped) had a horizontal row of blue pixels and huge amounts of 'leaking light'

Second one (had 1 week)- had really bad signal strength, even next to Airave. (1 bar 5 feet away)

Third one (a few months) - the earpiece went bad, had to answer all calls on speaker phone

Fourth one (3 weeks) - Really really loose screen area (oreo effect). Sprint store closest to me would not replace it, said it was normal that it spins about 20 degrees in both directions. After insisting on speaking to a manager, and that they replace it, they refused. I told them I wanted to use my insurance to replace it then (I pay the extra per month) and that I was willing to pay the 100 dollars. They said no, it would be insurance fraud as the phone was not broken. I then told them they were not honoring their end of the contract and that I wanted to cancel my 2 year commitment and they told me to LEAVE.... I walked away (exceptionally upset) planning on canceling my contract but I was 1 day away from a cross state trip and I figured I'd try the Sprint store in the area I was traveling to. This other Sprint store replaced my phone and said that a little bit of 'Oreo' was normal, but not to this extent.

Currently on 5th Pre (have had for 2 weeks so far) - This one has a loose screen as well, but not in any way near as much as the other one. Also the power button and the volumn as really loose and take angled presses to get a response (hard to describe, easy to notice).

The best Pre I've had was the third one, and I was really upset when the ear speaker stopped working. I really wish they could have just fixed it and returned that one. I want to get my 5th one replaced because when you drop a large sum of cash on a phone and plan, you want to have a phone without issues, but the store closest to where I live really rubbed me the wrong way, and so I won't be going back to them, ever again. Perhaps I, and everyone I know with a Pre, is destined to have subpar hardware. I can tell you though, if I bought a 700 dollar TV and it had any of these problems, I would return it and switch brands. Unfortunately, you can't get WebOS from anyone else....
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    can't help ya'll, I'm still on my first one since July and loving it!

Just trying to rub it in a little :-)
    #1 camera nonfunctional, out of the box, first day (at 8am that sunny saturday morning in june)

whats that sprint? you only got a certain amount of pres on opening day and itll be at least a week before you get anymore? thats ok, i didnt wanna take pictures with my brand new hotness anyway.

#2 speaker barely audible

new battery? well thats better than a whole new phone.

#3 keyboard nonfunctional
    #4 screen crack / spiderweb

whats that palm? your latest update required a full erase of my pre & you lost all my contacts? thats ok, can you just give me a sincere apology for my inconvenience and send me on my way? thanks

whats that sprint? you cant give me a phone that lasts more than a month & your corporate policies dictate that there is no "upgrade" from the pre & your only option is to let me out of my contract with you (would that be because you were unable to fulfill your end of said contract?)

#5 on/off button nonfunctional
    #6 camera nonfunctional, out of the box, first day (which is fine considering the unacceptably sloppy oreo effect)

whats that sprint? you dont have a pre in stock to give to me? thats ok, ill come back again, thats how it was with #1. its fine, i like coming here, everybody knows my name.

#7??? we'll see

(in case you were wondering:
    no, no physical damage deductibles for any returns.
    no mods, patches or themes, homebrew or whatnot-with all the problems & returns it seems silly to spend all that time & effort for something that will only last a month-i barely load music on it anymore, let alone personalize the wallpaper or ringtones.)

did i mention all the visits to sprint following almost every update? whats that sprint? i downloaded third party apps that caused my earpiece to turn off? really, its odd that happened immediately following the 1.2 update-good to know it was something i did.

dont get me wrong, i love my pre. really, i do. its just unworthy of that love. one phone, maybe two or three..yeah, sure. update issues? ok. backup issues tho? seven phones in six months...? well, it is almost worth a shiny new phone every month, whats an hour of my time....but its not a new phone. its the same POS in a shiny new wrapper.

do i want an iphone? not really. a droid? not really.

how bout a pre. as promised. you know, with basic functions like the ability to group text or separate the various ringtone/alert/system sounds & their volumes? perhaps a way to switch from "usb mode" to "just charge" without physically disconnecting it from a computer? i could remove the factory preloaded apps like nfl or nascar? maybe i could even turn off the "dashboard" so that if i leave my phone out & i get a text or phone call its not there for all to see? i know, maybe i could delete more than one photo at one time? whats that? theres homebrew apps & other workarounds & solutions at my disposal? well isnt the point that it should have been able to do all of these things out of the box?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Well, since my warranty isn't out until July I decided to live with the screen defect and see how it goes. Since then, it got a pretty bad oreo problem. And now my proximity sensor has stopped working.

What a piece of junk but I love webOS so much! Unfortunately I don't think my next smartphone will be from Palm. It's too bad, I really wanted to give them a fighting chance.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I just look at it as every time the screen starts to get scratched up I can go in and get a new pre with a perfect screen again. I'm about to get my fourth one when I stop being lazy because of the head phone issue. Kinda sad about losing my saved games everytime though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast