Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    & after a month with the Pre & you love it like I do, go to your HR & tell them they need 2 be spending their resources on getting their employees Pre's.
    I say get the Pre and give it a try. I have absolutely zero complaints about mine. The constant updates have only made things better. Honestly since 1.3.5 update everything I didn't like about my phone has been rectified. It is not sluggish at all now, maybe a couple hiccups here and there but barely noticable, and in general is very snappy and responsive. And we will soon have 3D games comparable to an iPhone.
    If one thing is for sure, getting a Pre will have access to mobile web Flash way before Apple. Some people like to complain about certain things, but they are mostly just personal preference and not universal flaws. If you liked what you saw, I say go for it. I don't regret buying mine one bit.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Forget about Verizon, that will be $350 out of your pocket to break your contract beyond the first month (your friend's Pre BTW, will not work on Verizon). As said in previous posts, if you don't mind the $70 monthly, then go for it. Use the Pre for personal use, and the iPhone for business. I think you'll prefer the Pre for Messaging, and you'll also appreciate the Homebrew stuff. And pay attention to the CES show, Palm's announcements might convince you. As good as the Pre is now, it will only get better!
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    My company provides us Iphone 3GS's also, and pays for the service. I told them I had a pre and preferred to use that and asked if they would pay my bill. They said take the iphone or nothing. I said I'll just pay for my pre then.

So I turned down a free 3GS and service for the Pre. That's how much I like it.

BTW - It's easy to get 25% off your monthly bill on sprint if you google around.
    Yeah. go for the Pre. I had an Iphone (still do, but now a glorified ipod), and I love the web OS much better. now when i use the iphone it feels clunky. there's no doubt that the Iphone is better at some things (its a great netbook, or is that islate), but you will find that the Pre has its strong suit as well (small, intuitive, fun to use).

I think Web OS is one of those great innovations that gadgets-heads should at least have an experience with ( i think the same is true for Android and Apple). These companies are doing some really cool things with phones, and I for one want to be a part of it.

All that to say, go for it!
  6.    #26  
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I have a Google Voice account and I may just get the Pre and try it out on Wifi for a while. One more thing, I am not independently wealthy but could afford another phone. I can use the iPhone for personal use but like to toy around with other gadgets. I started waffling about purchasing my buddies Pre last night and he has come down to $125 now. If I can talk him down to $100, its a done deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I have a Google Voice account and I may just get the Pre and try it out on Wifi for a while. One more thing, I am not independently wealthy but could afford another phone. I can use the iPhone for personal use but like to toy around with other gadgets. I started waffling about purchasing my buddies Pre last night and he has come down to $125 now. If I can talk him down to $100, its a done deal.
    If you want it as much for the "gadget" effect, then I have to say this is the phone for you. I got mine for the form factor and because Bell only carries a few decent phones. I wanted a real keyboard and WebOS looked cool. I got the phone and found PreCentral, and it was a whole new ball game. Patches, tweaks, etc. I like to toy with things, and really, this is the best toy ever. Plus, if you mess something up you can Doctor it and you are back to normal.

It's easy to use, suits me really well, and the whole patching/tweaking thing is so easy that anyone can do it.
    My employer also provides me a phone, a Blackberry Bold, for free. However, the Bold is through AT&T, and AT&T sucks in this area. Web surfing is dial-up slow, calls drop all the time (if I can even get a signal), and they are really stingy on the number of minutes per month (can't blame them, it is supposed to be for work, after all). So I carry a second phone because a) I use it for everything and could drop our home phone b) the Pre allows tethering (unofficially - of course) and c) AT&T stinks here. Sprint rates are really reasonable, and the Pre is really coming into it's own. The past month has really heated up with what will soon be possible on WebOS. Native apps? Yep. Flash? Coming soon! 3D games? Just played Quake! Good times!

If your iPhone through your company is truly free, meaning unlimited data and calls outside of work, then I would have to say that I would just keep using the iPhone. I may get flamed, but I think the iPhone is a great phone. I prefer my Pre over the iPhone as I personally feel that WebOS has a better user experience due to the great implementation of multitasking, the vibrant modding community (which for the moment seems to be encouraged by Palm, not at odds with them), the elegant notifications, and the possibilities that the OS has in the future. But the iPhone has several strengths as well. It has great hardware, a polished OS, and there is a lot to be said about the flexibility of a platform that has an app for virtually anything you would want to do on a phone. I know several iPhone users that love the Pre but won't jump ship because of a pretty specialized app they use every day. Which is another consideration you would need to look at. What apps are you running on the iPhone? Is there something comparable on the Pre yet? If the apps are not there, or your phone through work is pretty much yours to use as you like, then I say stick with what you have.

However, if you are limited in your phone usage through work, get lousy coverage where you are, or the Pre offers something that the iPhone does not (like Google Voice integration or tethering), then I highly recommend giving the Pre a try. My only recommendation is take a pass on the used Pre. The first few batches of the phone had some build quality issues, and you may be buying into a headache. Also, you can get a Pre dirt cheap with a new service subscription, and would get a brand new phone for much less. The obvious downside is that you have to sign a contract, but I think that Sprint offers a 30 day trial so if it is not to your liking, you can always cancel before the 30 days...should be plenty of time to see if it is for you.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I love/d my Pre.. but I think I'm about to jump ship. WebOS is the best mobile OS out there but the hardware build quality sucks (which is a shame, the hardware IN the phone is just about the best there is for a mobile device).
    It's hard to make recommendations to others. I'm enough of a gadget guy that I once carried my Treo along with the company provided phone (I hated having to carry two phones). The iPhone is "gadgetry" enough that were it completely free to me, I would be hard pressed to justify paying $1000 a year to carry a Pre as well.

You might want to give it a month or two, show your IT folks, and see if they'll let you use the Pre instead and pay part of the bill...
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I'd say wait, I think there is an initial love affair with the Pre because it's new and different. But coming from Treo 700P it lacks many things I miss. iPhone has been out for some time and is quite established. At the same time it has also progressed with virtually no change so I can see why one would look elsewhere. If you company is paying for it I'd say stay with that, save your money and just keep a close eye on how the Pre progresses...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12