Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    According to a ChangeWave research it looks like Palm is losing the public mind share game. In the latest survey only 3% of those surveyed intend to buy smartphone with webOS. I have to admit this is really disappointing to see this trend. Personally I think webOS is the best mobile OS out there and itís a shame more people donít see this. However between Apple and Android it looks like Palm is facing a real uphill battle to get consumers to look its way. I really want Palm and webOS to succeed and while this is only one survey, that coupled with relatively low Q3 sales and now the rumored lower orders by Verizon I am really getting concerned that this is really a ďmake it or break itĒ time for Palm. I really hope Palm has something really big up its sleeve for CES. Losing Palm and webOS would be a travesty.

    Android Taking Wind Out Of iPhone's Sails - Smartphone sales - Gizmodo
  2. #2  
    the problem is that a lot of people were either turned off by the pre and pixis creepy commercials or dont even know they exist
  3. #3  
    CES 2010 may help remedy this as well as being on Verizon.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericmn1 View Post
    Palm losing mind share game?
    The smartphone market is growing so fast that even if Palm looses market share they will show a profit for 2010.

    The Verizon order does not mean anything except possibly that there is some new hardware coming from Palm June 2010 and they dont want to be stuck with a bunch of old models.

    There really is no reason to worry. Palm will be fine.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  5. #5  
    I, along with a bunch of my friends, bought the Pre when it first came out.

    I'm the only one who still uses the Pre.

    Five friends -- all of them -- returned their phones, and bought something else, all for various reasons...

    "I can't forward a text?"...
    "It doesn't have a camcorder?"...

    ...were the most common complaints.

    I love the Pre and think WebOS is awesome... but my friends just couldn't handle using a device that just doesn't have the features or power of other phones.

    Palm made a big mistake announcing at CES last year and forcing the world wait six months for the Pre...

    And while they've made improvements to the software (I'm impressed with the frequency of updates)...

    ...there's still no camcorder... voice dial... voice recorder... I can't save videos sent to me in a MMS... and then there are the minor issues like the recent calendar mishap.

    Palm is losing mindshare because their phones are ... well ... rather forgetful.
  6. #6  
    I want Palm to release these missing pieces not because I need them so much, but because only then will these threads cease. Certainly, there will be new complaints to replace them ("How could Palm release a phone without a compass? EVERY other phone has a compass!!!"), at least they'll be _new_.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7. #7  
    Let's not forget the Palm is really losing this "mind share" because of familiarity. People today know of Apple and Google, because of the iphone and Android names. Survey 10 people and at least 9 are going to have heard of an iphone, now some of them won't know if it's good or not, but ask them if they were to buy a smartphone what would it be they are going to say the iphone because they know of it's existence.

    Granted 10 years ago Palm was well known, but people have forgotten. Now Palm with much less resources, much less income, much less continuous revenue flow is trying to get that back.

    Personally I have to believe Palm will never have the substantial gain they had 10 years ago, but I believe Palm is making bigger steps and bounds beyond where they were before. Once people know who Palm is and what webOS is, I think you will see that number start to grow and hopefully quickly.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  8. geodim's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    #8  
    just wait until the pink Pixi comes out...as bad as it is, they'll probably sell a ton of them
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

    iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

    Personally I have to believe Palm will never have the substantial gain they had 10 years ago, but I believe Palm is making bigger steps and bounds beyond where they were before. Once people know who Palm is and what webOS is, I think you will see that number start to grow and hopefully quickly.
    People said similar things about Apple ten years ago. From engadget's recent review of the Nexus One, I am starting to thing Android is going to face a lot of problems in the future. There are going to be too many different devices, all with different specs and fractured App support. I hate to say it, but Android might end up going the way of WinMo. This will give Palm a huge opportunity. Now, when Verizon picks up the Pre and Pixi, all of a sudden there is going to be a lot more choice for verizon smart phone users. The pre is very snappy at web browser, exactly where android seems to fail. It is very straight forward to use. My 60 y.o. mother just got a Pixi and is quickly learning a lot of its ins-&-outs. I don't think she would have much of a chance at learning an android device.

    All that being said, if CES bears a lot of the fruit that we all think it will, Palm is going to gain a lot of attention.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericmn1 View Post
    According to a ChangeWave research it looks like Palm is losing the public mind share game. In the latest survey only 3% of those surveyed intend to buy smartphone with webOS. I have to admit this is really disappointing to see this trend. Personally I think webOS is the best mobile OS out there and itís a shame more people donít see this. However between Apple and Android it looks like Palm is facing a real uphill battle to get consumers to look its way. I really want Palm and webOS to succeed and while this is only one survey, that coupled with relatively low Q3 sales and now the rumored lower orders by Verizon I am really getting concerned that this is really a ďmake it or break itĒ time for Palm. I really hope Palm has something really big up its sleeve for CES. Losing Palm and webOS would be a travesty.

    Android Taking Wind Out Of iPhone's Sails - Smartphone sales - Gizmodo
    No surprise at all.

    1) Pathetic marketing campaign
    2) see #1
    3) glacial pace of progress as far as bringing added functionality to the new OS.
    4) poor hardware is scareware to the majority of potential buyers who want a phone that will last 2 yrs of a contract. Most don't want to be bothered with 1 return /exchange let alone 9-15!!!
    5) No electricity behind the palm brand name. Apple, rimm, and google (android) has it. Hell, the market analysts couldn't care less about palm and its bad news bear smartphones.
    6) not enough money behind the company to create hype and public excitement from other products like search engines, e-readers like a palm kindle, etc.

    7) Underdog image....
  11. #11  
    the palm pre is an awsem phone the only reason iphone and droid are more popular is because of advertising to stupid people who are sold on msg forwarding. I bet if they were to air hot girls with palm pre on their tits you would have evry high school kid begging their parents for one.
  12. #12  
    littleczr , you just made me think of palms on boobies and i have to say, it put a smile on my face!
    Palm prē-ist.
  13. geodim's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    #13  
    Palm has got to make a big splash at CES this week. A few things I'd like to see:

    1. New devices. A Pre2 with Snapdragon, 512MB RAM, expandable storage, 3.5" WVGA and solid build quality. Nexus-like specs are a must, especially considering a Pre2 probably wouldn't be available until June. Also a variant sans hardware keyboard, similar to how HTC pushed out the Touch Pro with the Touch Diamond. I'm not buying a phone without a hardware keyboard, but there's obviously a market for this.
    2. GPU access
    3. A Flash experience that doesn't cripple web browsing
    4. Quality Apps
    5. Video recording
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

    iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
  14. ozziegt's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #14  
    I haven't been able to give anyone a wholehearted recommendation due to the issues I've had with mine...and personal recommendation and reputation is what is giving Apple this huge boost.

    Verizon doesn't matter much...Palm has to compete with the Droid in the Verizon store and I bet it will lose a lot of the time.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    No surprise at all.

    1) Pathetic marketing campaign
    2) see #1
    3) glacial pace of progress as far as bringing added functionality to the new OS.
    4) poor hardware is scareware to the majority of potential buyers who want a phone that will last 2 yrs of a contract. Most don't want to be bothered with 1 return /exchange let alone 9-15!!!
    5) No electricity behind the palm brand name. Apple, rimm, and google (android) has it. Hell, the market analysts couldn't care less about palm and its bad news bear smartphones.
    6) not enough money behind the company to create hype and public excitement from other products like search engines, e-readers like a palm kindle, etc.

    7) Underdog image....
    Agreed... the marketing campaign for the Pre was a joke, especially when compared to Droid's fierce image and marketing.

    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Palm has got to make a big splash at CES this week. A few things I'd like to see:

    1. New devices. A Pre2 with Snapdragon, 512MB RAM, expandable storage, 3.5" WVGA and solid build quality. Nexus-like specs are a must, especially considering a Pre2 probably wouldn't be available until June. Also a variant sans hardware keyboard, similar to how HTC pushed out the Touch Pro with the Touch Diamond. I'm not buying a phone without a hardware keyboard, but there's obviously a market for this.
    2. GPU access
    3. A Flash experience that doesn't cripple web browsing
    4. Quality Apps
    5. Video recording
    This would help, but I'm still convinced Palm made a big mistake releasing the Pre without a full-feature list.

    Yes, I did my research and knew updates would fix a lot of this stuff... but everyone I know who owned the Pre dumped it within a month. Biggest complaint? "It can't do this? It can't do that?"

    You can't sell a phone to a mass market when it lacks simple features.

    I'm sticking with it because I know good things are on the way, but most people won't buy a phone that doesn't do what they want it to do.

    I mean, the Pre doesn't do ANYTHING that other phones can't. There's nothing "special" or "unique" about it besides the beautiful OS.
  16. #16  
    It's all about the apps. If Palm cannot get their act together and have a proper world-wide release of the App Catalog, then game over. The issue is frustrating your International users who see only a tiny fraction of what US users are seeing and not to mention the inability to purchase apps. OK so it might come in March but why is this taking soo looong?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  17. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #17  
    I hope Palm continues to improve their hardware and software. If that happens, I don't care what the public mind share is. All I know is that if I ever have to switch to something other than webOS I will go through serious withdrawals.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Palm made a big mistake announcing at CES last year and forcing the world wait six months for the Pre...
    If Palm had released the Pre right then and there at CES, it would have been immediately compared to the Blackberry Storm. If you think about all the progress in the last 6 months, imagine what was probably missing or buggy before that.

    On the other hand, without CES they might not even have had the momentum to get to the state they are now. Palm pretty much owned CES. Nobody else had any blockbuster announcements.

    I think the real problem is as other people pointed out -- lack of followthrough with marketing. CES was the foot in the door. Marketing is supposed to get you the rest of the way in.

    The 6 months probably didn't help though. Palm sort of assumed that everyone already knew what WebOS was, and went with those crazy nonsensical ads. I really think people needed a reminder of what WebOS is really capable of (not to mention the other 90% of people who didn't pay attention to CES in the first place), and Palm didn't provide that.

    You need a really strong start to build awareness. If you can get to a certain critical mass, the product will start advertise itself through word of mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Palm is losing mindshare because their phones are ... well ... rather forgetful.
    Personally I think the Droid is overhyped for what it actually does. Android has a lot of features and is probably a lot smoother UI, but is ultimately thoroughly uninspiring compared to WebOS's cards and notifications.

    It's a solid product -- something that the Pre and WebOS is not, or at least not yet. I wouldn't call the Pre forgetful though. Just not polished. But just think about how awesome it'll be once the kinks are worked out and it gets a nice (metaphorical) coat of paint.
  19. #19  
    palm and pre fans hate hearing this but its true, palm has blown their momentum and excitement..for the moment. they can gain it back but frankly, I don't think they will...I hope they will but they aren't.

    the people are right, there are too many "common" features missing. The iPhone was the exact same way. the difference with the iphone was that there was no competition and the iPhone had the touch screen which was new and iPod functionality. The Pre has nothing to make up for the missing features

    People say that the android has too many phones and it will hurt them in the long run. That is also another "defense" that all you have to do is look over at Blackberry and see that having several different phones can be successful and that argument could be true or could mean nothing (which honestly, I dont think it will amount to anything, Android will be the "Windows" of mobile OS's...unless Winmo takes over).

    being released on Verizon is indeed a big deal...if they get the full sdk and functionality of the pre open to developers and add more pre users by being on Verizon that will put more apps in the app store and that will help the platform...really right now that is the only thing that palm can do to keep from being forgotten in about 2 years.

    but is that enough? I don't think so. Palm needs to do what I stated above and they need to release a new webOS phone to get people looking again. they do that, and it puts them right back there.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post

    "I can't forward a text?"...
    This is actually a biggie? It's hard to imagine how palm could overlook this. It's one of the main reasons I gave up my first iPhone.

    Do you remember even on the Treo270 you could forward a text as a text message or even forward it as an email? What gives with these guys, do they not actually use the phones they make, or do they live lives that are so different from the average user that they just don't use phones the way we use them?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions