1.    #1  
    Is it possible to still use wifi on the Pre without a plan or service? Just asking
    Yes.
    Yes, but if you wipe the Pre, it will have to be activated again. Updating webOS is also not recommended, as it can cause problems that require the phone to be wiped.

There is a way to wipe the Pre and still use it without service, but it is pretty complicated for users who are not familiar with the command prompt.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by Yickyaddy View Post
    Is it possible to still use wifi on the Pre without a plan or service? Just asking
    I've been using a Pre with no Sprint service for a few months now... The only thing I've noticed that doesn't work is Sprint TV. Everything else works fine, including the App Catalog. I've done two updates (1.3.1 and 1.3.5) with no issue either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I've been using a Pre with no Sprint service for a few months now... The only thing I've noticed that doesn't work is Sprint TV. Everything else works fine, including the App Catalog. I've done two updates (1.3.1 and 1.3.5) with no issue either.
    so then you call and text through google??? man if i had wifi at my house i would sooooo love to do this... but i dont so ill deal, lol i just gotta sell my 5 sprint phones in a month so i can get on my employee plan dangit!!!!! i no longer want an android as of yet im enjoying the progress we are all making with our pres!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest09 View Post
    so then you call and text through google??? man if i had wifi at my house i would sooooo love to do this... but i dont so ill deal, lol i just gotta sell my 5 sprint phones in a month so i can get on my employee plan dangit!!!!! i no longer want an android as of yet im enjoying the progress we are all making with our pres!!!!
    I haven't really looked too much into calling and texting... I do use AOL IM for texting and works pretty well I guess. If anyone knows of ways to call or text over data, let me know.
    I can confirm that it works.

My cousin bought the Pre when it first came out. She quickly changed to another cell phone, due to work related issues. So she went to Spint and had them move her cell phone number to her new cell phone then gave me her Pre.

It was several weeks before I figured out what plan I was going with, and moved my old phone over. In the meantime I used the Pre with my Wifi. I could browse the Internet, check email, and download apps, but could not make a cell phone call.

The battery kept dying very quickly though. I suspected the phone was confused and kept trying to communicate with the Sprint towers. A friend suggested that I put it into airplane mode and then turn on wifi. Sure enough, that worked and then I got excellent battery life.

You should be able to put your own phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi. This not only proves it, but is a great way to extend your battery if you aren't expecting any calls/texts.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Can you still backup via the Palm profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post
    You should be able to put your own phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi. This not only proves it, but is a great way to extend your battery if you aren't expecting any calls/texts.
    Very true.. When using Airplane Mode w/ WiFi, I can go all day with moderate internet browsing and still be at 80% battery. Now if only I could find a good voice over data service, I'd be set.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Can you still backup via the Palm profile?
    I actually never thought of that. Since activating the Pre requires Sprint service, I would assume not. But I wonder if there would be a way to sign into Palm profile over WiFi. Hmm... I sync my contacts with Google tho, so I'm not too worried.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I actually never thought of that. Since activating the Pre requires Sprint service, I would assume not. But I wonder if there would be a way to sign into Palm profile over WiFi. Hmm... I sync my contacts with Google tho, so I'm not too worried.
    I sync via Google calendar/contacts and ActiveSync calendar, but I would hate to loose my applications if my system got trashed.

Wait. Here is a another question. Can you buy applications?
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Wait. Here is a another question. Can you buy applications?
    I'm not too sure. I haven't bought anything from the App Catalog yet. However, I have no trouble downloading free programs.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I'm planning on dropping my Pre on Sprint when the Verizon Pixi Plus is available and am trying to figure out whether to keep the Sprint unit as an internet access device -- or sell it on Craig's list. If I can't buy applications I'll probably be selling the unit.
    I haven't really looked too much into calling and texting... I do use AOL IM for texting and works pretty well I guess. If anyone knows of ways to call or text over data, let me know.
    since i am a broke *** and got my phone shut off for a while there, i learned a lot about what one can do without service. turns out, it was a lot. now, this may be a bit different for some people because i had service and then it was disconnected...

i was able to do all the usual 'net stuff, never tried to buy apps (remember, had no $ for phone bill, lol), but i learned something i kind of didn't want to mention: i was still able to so data over the sprint network with wifi off. i don't know if it was because they hadn't COMPLETELY shut me off, or if they didn't have a way figured out to block it on a Pre yet, or what, but i could. that was cool cos i'd just have people IM and email me or get me on twitter, and it was like i still had my phone (i never call on it anyway). if someone called me, it said not in service, if i called out, it didn't work. texting didn't work...but, if you included a picture or were sent a picture, it did. that's because the pic mail goes by 'net and not the usual phone method, i guess.

so, i know i got a little of subject, and i was actually kind of embarrassed to mention it, but it was kind of a neat discovery. and it was pretty kick *** since i could still keep in touch on the go until i was able to pay my bill!
    @igobytony

Yea, that's about what happened to me. They don't cancel your account right away, it takes like 2 months. They suspend your service for a while, and during this time data still works. Eventually though, it will stop working. So now my Pre lives in Airplane Mode with WiFi on. (The only good thing about it is that I get AMAZING battery life haha) The Pre functions great as a WiFi device. I can do anything but make/receive calls.

I might try buying an app off the App Catalog just for future reference for other people lol. Oh, and I did get my sprint bill paid off already; It was already too late and the account was canceled by then
    <edit> Double-post
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 01/04/2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: double-post
    If you get a google voice account and download gdial pro that would serve your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    since i am a broke *** and got my phone shut off for a while there, i learned a lot about what one can do without service. turns out, it was a lot. now, this may be a bit different for some people because i had service and then it was disconnected...

i was able to do all the usual 'net stuff, never tried to buy apps (remember, had no $ for phone bill, lol), but i learned something i kind of didn't want to mention: i was still able to so data over the sprint network with wifi off. i don't know if it was because they hadn't COMPLETELY shut me off, or if they didn't have a way figured out to block it on a Pre yet, or what, but i could. that was cool cos i'd just have people IM and email me or get me on twitter, and it was like i still had my phone (i never call on it anyway). if someone called me, it said not in service, if i called out, it didn't work. texting didn't work...but, if you included a picture or were sent a picture, it did. that's because the pic mail goes by 'net and not the usual phone method, i guess.

so, i know i got a little of subject, and i was actually kind of embarrassed to mention it, but it was kind of a neat discovery. and it was pretty kick *** since i could still keep in touch on the go until i was able to pay my bill!
    I pretty much had a similar experience when my service was shut off due to non-payment (nevermind that I had spoken to an agent and told them I only got paid once a month, and was cleared to not make payment until my next payday, but whatever). Gdial Pro took care of my phone calls as long as I wasn't roaming, and also handled my texts. Once Sprint decides to cut off your data service and incoming calls, you won't be able to use Gdial Pro unless you have a wifi connection, and then you can only text. Not bad, considering you're pretty much abusing Sprint's system.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    If you get a google voice account and download gdial pro that would serve your needs.
    Yeah Gdial pro doesn't make VOIP calls. The Pre can't do it yet.