1.    #1  
    I am getting my first Pre either today or tomorrow (depending on when my shipment comes). I've done a lot of reading on here and I am really looking forward to all the Pre can do. Done some research on Preware etc...

Are there any things I should know or do right off the bat when I get my phone? I am transfering over from a Treo 755p.

One thing I definatly want to do is get the virtual keyboard.
    i bet you that u aren't goin to use the virtual keyboard a lot because it basically sucks except for texting..The thing about having a virtual keyboard on the pre is that the screen is so small that it is hard to text fast or accurately.
    i think the main thing you need to know to ensure happy times with your new device, you already know: PreCentral.

outside of that just have fun. the pre isn't right for everyone (nothing is) but it is more than capable, and Palm has been doing a great job of pushing out updates on the regular. once you've gotten used to WebOS (this'll take all of about 25 minutes) you'll be hooked. the patches and homebrew allow you to make your experience one that is uniquely your own, so it's good that you're already aware of those options. if you've been on here a while, i'm sure you know what to expect; the ups and the downs.

enjoy your new device! i know i reach for mine all the time to surf, twitter, watch youtube, etc., all the time even when my MacBook is right next to me.

and, if you ever have trouble, i think you already know where to go for help.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    i bet you that u aren't goin to use the virtual keyboard a lot because it basically sucks except for texting..The thing about having a virtual keyboard on the pre is that the screen is so small that it is hard to text fast or accurately.
    i totally agree. i use it sometimes, mostly as a novelty. if you're coming from a tre, i think you'll be quite happy with the pre keyboard. the VKB will improve, i'm sure, but i like the hardware one much better.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Congrats on the purchase! I'll second d0llarm3nu, the virtual keyboard isn't that great. In my opinion, the only thing it's missing to be usable is a good auto-correct system, which would be helpful for the normal keyboard as well. In any case, most people find it much faster to use the physical keyboard.

Things you can do now to get ready are download WebOSQuickInstall, the program that will let you install Preware, and browse through the getting started section on webos-internals.org.
  6.    #6  
    Sounds good. Ill try and download WebOS QuickInstall tonight when I get home. To go with the VKB coments, I don't plan on using it for heavy use. More of the quick "OK" or "no prob" text messages. I think opening the slider for the keyboard to type two letters is kinda dumb. That is where I think the VKB is an awesome feature. All of my heavy typing will come via the regular keyboard.
    I've played with a Pre many times at the store, but its never the same as when you actually get the device yourself. I just came off a Sero plan and actually upgraded to an EPRP family plan that is pretty much exactly what I was paying with Sero,so as soon as I got the upgrade I coudln't wait to get a Pre.
    I'm sure I will be posting on here a lot once I get my pre!