Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, has anyone managed to install 1.3.5 on a GSM Pre? (Via WebOS Doctor, I suppose).

I have a Telcel (Mexico) Pre, which is stuck at 1.2.5 as Telcel won't release any new firmwares.

I've read that someone installed 1.3.5 on a GSM EU Pre, but didn't said how he did it.

How can we do this?

I know I'll lose all my info, and I don't care, I just want to play Doom and Quake on my Pre
    I have it and I have also shared on the forum how, it's pretty easy. Every webOS Doctor is a "jar" file, you can unzip this file. Inside it, you will find a "resources/webOS.tar" file. Take this file from the Sprint 1.3.5 webOS Doctor, and place it in your own webOS doctor - the one that will recognize your Pre. Then run the "modified" webOS Doctor, et voila.

Telcel will probably get 1.3.5 one day, it just takes longer - just like us Europeans.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
  3.    #3  
    yeah, I had just found out how to do it. I'll use the telcel webos file (1.2.5) and the sprint one.

thanks!!
    On my germany o2 pre I used the Webos Doctor 1.2.1 Sprint. This is the last version that doesn't check if your pre is non sprint. Then you can update via web to 1.3.5.

Edit: You'll find it here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    I have it and I have also shared on the forum how, it's pretty easy. Every webOS Doctor is a "jar" file, you can unzip this file. Inside it, you will find a "resources/webOS.tar" file. Take this file from the Sprint 1.3.5 webOS Doctor, and place it in your own webOS doctor - the one that will recognize your Pre. Then run the "modified" webOS Doctor, et voila.

Telcel will probably get 1.3.5 one day, it just takes longer - just like us Europeans.
    im on a mac and non of my unzipping applications will open the .jar file.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    im on a mac and non of my unzipping applications will open the .jar file.
    I'm also on a Mac. Just rename both of the .jar files to .zip and double click, works perfect on 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard, and probably works perfect in earlier versions as well.

Then, from the 1.3.5 folder, get "resources/webOS.tar" and put it in the "resources" folder for the older webOS Doctor (1.2.1 or whatever version you are using). Then, select the 3 folders inside that folder (so META-INF, resources and another one I forgot it's name) rightclick -> Compress 3 items. It will then make a new zip file - rename this to a .jar file, et voila presto! You should be able to run that file.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    After doing that, and restoring my phone with the 'modified' firmware, should the device info say 1.2.1 (assuming i copied the 1.3.5 webOS onto 1.2.1) or 1.3.5?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBunman View Post
    On my germany o2 pre I used the Webos Doctor 1.2.1 Sprint. This is the last version that doesn't check if your pre is non sprint. Then you can update via web to 1.3.5.

Edit: You'll find it here: Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    As far as I understand, you could use the 1.3.1 O2 version, and replace the webos.jar file with the one inside the Sprint 1.3.5.

I did that, grabbed the Telcel one and replaced the file. Now running perfectly!

BTW, it says 1.3.5

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by anirudh412 View Post
    After doing that, and restoring my phone with the 'modified' firmware, should the device info say 1.2.1 (assuming i copied the 1.3.5 webOS onto 1.2.1) or 1.3.5?
    Mine says:
    Version: Palm webOS 1.3.5
    Configuration: Sprint 1.9

For details: I have a German GSM Palm Pre, used the Sprint 1.2.1 Doctor for flashing my pre with the Sprint 1.3.5 firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    Mine says:
    Configuration: Sprint 1.9

For details: I have a German GSM Palm Pre, used the Sprint 1.2.1 Doctor for flashing my pre with the Sprint 1.3.5 firmware.
    Hmmm, doesnt seem like a complete flash then, as mine shows Sprint 2.2. But as long as it works.
  11.    #11  
    Configuration: World Ready 1.0

Used the Telcel webOS Doctor (1.2.5) with the Webos.jar file from Sprint Webos Doctor (1.3.5)
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Hmmm, doesnt seem like a complete flash then, as mine shows Sprint 2.2. But as long as it works.

So does mine... what does "Configuration" relate to/mean exactly??
    thanks for the instructions. Just checking, will doctoring wipe everything? or will my stuff still be there?
    It's safe to assume it'll wipe everything, I've heard that as of updates after 1.3.5 it shouldn't anymore, but hard to test that and I wouldn't trust it anyway probably...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    thanks for the instructions. Just checking, will doctoring wipe everything? or will my stuff still be there?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $doctoring$ $wipes$ $everything$ $except$ $your$ /$media$/$internal$ $stuff$ ($the$ $stuff$ $that$ $you$ $can$ $access$ $on$ $USB$ $Drive$ $mode$). $Just$ $to$ $be$ $on$ $the$ $safe$ $side$ $backup$ $everything$

Your contacts can be restored from your profile or your linked accounts, as your emails.

Your conversations can be backed up and restored dumping the sql file PalmDatabase.pdb, but in my case messed up my accounts, so do it with care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigerr View Post
    So does mine... what does "Configuration" relate to/mean exactly??
    It's only Sprint's CDMA/Network settings, each fw optimizes their network connection furthur operantly, nothing to really worry about for us GSM users
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    well, i have a small problem. i have german pre , used it with no major issues with 1.3.1, last night decided to try the new 1.3.5 and did everything following the instructions here. i downloaded sprint 1.2.1, then 1.3.5 , replaced webos.tar in 1.2.1 with 1.3.5 version, flashed... all went smooooooth. i started up teh phone, i got asked what language i want to use, selected english and here we go, phone got stuck in a "setting up language" with a rotating circle screen. i removed the bat for a few minutes, reflashed, nothing good happens : setting up language all the time.

any suggestions pls ?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balenax View Post
    well, i have a small problem. i have german pre , used it with no major issues with 1.3.1, last night decided to try the new 1.3.5 and did everything following the instructions here. i downloaded sprint 1.2.1, then 1.3.5 , replaced webos.tar in 1.2.1 with 1.3.5 version, flashed... all went smooooooth. i started up teh phone, i got asked what language i want to use, selected english and here we go, phone got stuck in a "setting up language" with a rotating circle screen. i removed the bat for a few minutes, reflashed, nothing good happens : setting up language all the time.

any suggestions pls ?
    How long did u leave it with the rotating circle on the screen before removing the battery?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    well finally i was so sick of it and i left it that way while i slept ( for about 5 hours) . i have no doubt that theres an endless process... i tried now in the morning to use the 1.3.1 eu update with the webos.tar from 1.3.5 sprint one. same result. i am now trying to install 1.3.1 eu unmodified, to see if that really works again or i will get the same error.

i did remove the battery before and after update, but just for 2-3 minutes. keeping it off longer will help in any way ?

late :

victory, i managed to install. i installed 1.3.1 eu then the modified one. it worked ! looks good so far.
    Last edited by balenax; 01/05/2010 at 06:25 AM.
    Could someone give me a run down of the negative points to putting the Sprint 1.3.5 on a UK GSM?

These are the ones that I know of:

- Sprint service icons that don't do anything (Sprint TV etc)
    - Problems with the official App Catalog

Are these the only two downsides to flashing my Pre with a foreign firmware?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast