Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Oh. My. God. Those webOS Internals guys are nothing short of amazing. If you're not following them on Twitter, you should be. This morning they announced ScummVM has been ported to webOS!

For those of you scratching your heads, ScummVM is an emulator/interpretor for LucasArts' "Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion" and lets you play tons of those great old LucasArts games (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, etc.) on modern systems.

It uses SDL.

Man, them Palm folks are brilliant! But I'm biased, because as soon as this gets ironed out, I'm digging up my old "Sam & Max" and "Full Throttle" CDs.

WIN!

UPDATE: They have a demo video up now:
    Thanks, DeathsArrow!!
    Last edited by EdCates; 01/04/2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Link to video demo
    When can I get this?! I wanna download it ASAP!!!
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    word
  4.    #4  
    I'm so smart, I used the same text for both hyperlinks.

The first link in my OP goes to the webos-Internals page. Right now they just have instructions on how to compile ScummVM yourself. Their Tweet mentions keybinding issues, too. Knowing them, they'll have it all sorted out --complete with installer-- in the next 48 hours.

Is this exciting, or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Definitely.

I was wondering to myself this morning what game(s) would get ported to WebOS next and the tweet popped up.

Edit: Demo video is posted:
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Definitely.

I was wondering to myself this morning what game(s) would get ported to WebOS next and the tweet popped up.

Edit: Demo video is posted:
    That's why I say it's brilliant of Palm to just throw SDL support in there. I didn't realize (until just now) that "Battle for Wesnoth" was SDL-based.

There's a game explosion coming . . . .

. . . and thanks for the video link!
    how do i get games on there though...i really want to play grim fandengo.
    My son just bought a Sam and Max collection, but I don't know if the Telltale Games versions have the same type of play files. If so...I and my Pre are about to be even more popular with my kids. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I'm so smart, I used the same text for both hyperlinks.

The first link in my OP goes to the webos-Internals page. Right now they just have instructions on how to compile ScummVM yourself. Their Tweet mentions keybinding issues, too. Knowing them, they'll have it all sorted out --complete with installer-- in the next 48 hours.

This is very exciting, and it is awesome that I totally didn't click your links which would have told me more about what you posted. Big fail for me! As far as the games go, I haven't played those since I was a kid, so I would be excited to see those on the pre!
    Kingdom of Heaven
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    how do i get games on there though...i really want to play grim fandengo.
    This is just an educated guess: Copy the necessary data files from your CD (or wherever they're stored) onto your webOS device's USB drive. Then from ScummVM Click on 'Add Game' and select the directory to which you copied the game files.

The bad news is, I don't think Grim Fandango is supported. If memory serves, it doesn't use the SCUMM utility like so many earlier LucasArts games did. I could be mistaken, and I really hope I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    My son just bought a Sam and Max collection, but I don't know if the Telltale Games versions have the same type of play files. If so...I and my Pre are about to be even more popular with my kids. {Jonathan}
    Take a look at this page: Datafiles - ScummVM

It tells you what files need to be copied over.
    This is just an educated guess: Copy the necessary data files from your CD (or wherever they're stored) onto your webOS device's USB drive. Then from ScummVM Click on 'Add Game' and select the directory to which you copied the game files.

The bad news is, I don't think Grim Fandango is supported. If memory serves, it doesn't use the SCUMM utility like so many earlier LucasArts games did. I could be mistaken, and I really hope I am.
    ScummVM :: Compatibility - SVN

yeah grim doesnt work. I have the mac version of full throttle so when the proper version is released in preware i will definatly give it a go
    Oh you have to have the CD's in order to copy em over? :-( I thought you could just download the games via preware or something.....damn it.
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    Oh you have to have the CD's in order to copy em over? :-( I thought you could just download the games via preware or something.....damn it.
    There are some games that are freeware like Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Lure of the Temptress, etc.

A lot of the supported titles are considered abandonware, although the legality of abandonware is questionable.
    Holy $#!+ thats awesome!!!!! maniac mansion, monkey island, full throttle, space quest, Leisure Suit Larry (the original one!) on the pre! This is fantastic news..
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    There are some games that are freeware like Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Lure of the Temptress, etc.

A lot of the supported titles are considered abandonware, although the legality of abandonware is questionable.
    LucasArts should set up an on-line store where interested parties can download the data files to their old SCUMM games for like, $3. Maybe $5. I'll bet they'd make a killing.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    LucasArts should set up an on-line store where interested parties can download the data files to their old SCUMM games for like, $3. Maybe $5. I'll bet they'd make a killing.
    They actually just had a Steam sale on a bunch of old LucasArts games, like Monkey Island. Not sure if that would get you exactly what you need or not, but it might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    They actually just had a Steam sale on a bunch of old LucasArts games, like Monkey Island. Not sure if that would get you exactly what you need or not, but it might work.
    I just missed that!!! :'(
    Kingdom of Heaven
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    All I see there now are some Indiana Jones titles, The Dig, and something else. I'm sorry I missed it.
    Hehe I have monkey island 3 game files along with some others, and I cant wait to see if they'll work with on the pre with this!

-Toaster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast