Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Anymore it seems all the wifi sites are secure anyhow, but other than heavy web use--Why do we really need wifi? I'm considering the Pixi and trying to figure out what I'm really going to miss about wifi.
    Faster
    Internet in low signal areas
    Internet on a plane
    So you don't go over the 5GB unlimited data limit
    To use data and talk on your phone at the same time (cdma networks)
    So you can use your phone like a mifi with mytether
    At home, my Sprint data is between 3G and 1xRTT depending on location. To download Podcasts in DrPodder, WiFi is nice. Addition, the Camera on the Pre is much improved. Other than those, I would pick the Pixi.

(Although, the new SDL Doom and Quake are currently Pre only.)
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Unlimited data plan has a limit of 5 gb???
    Had not thought about data and phone at same time, thats good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ETjumps View Post
    Anymore it seems all the wifi sites are secure anyhow, but other than heavy web use--Why do we really need wifi? I'm considering the Pixi and trying to figure out what I'm really going to miss about wifi.
    You probably won't miss it until you don't have it. And it's better on the battery too.
    5 GB limit only applies to data cards, not data phones like the Pre or Pixi *on Sprint*. Can't say I know anything about any other carrier. I've asked CS numerous times and have always been told that unlimited means unlimited for phones.
    I ♥ my Pre.
    A big thing for me with WiFi was the hope that Apps would start to use it much like Iphone apps.

I think there are a few out there that use Wifi, Media Remote, VLC etc....
    I would wait for the announcement tomorrow. Maybe a new revision of the pre.
    WiFi is nice for me since I work in a building that get zero cell reception, but we have a wireless network (both secure for employees, unsecure for patients/family). It's a great backup when you don't have cell reception.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I use it at home - saves on my minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    5 GB limit only applies to data cards, not data phones like the Pre or Pixi *on Sprint*. Can't say I know anything about any other carrier. I've asked CS numerous times and have always been told that unlimited means unlimited for phones.
    With Sprint, the 5GB does not pertain to Pre or Data Cards. (I have both and made sure of this before I signed up).

It DOES pertain to the mifi with Sprint, (which stops me from getting one). It also is limited on ATT and Verizon. (another reason I'm with Sprint for my data card)
    I use it for Media Remote (which is freaking awesome btw, the mousepad/keyboard thing ROCKS). I pretty much have it on all the time at home. Its faster, uses much less battery since my EVDO is a bit spotty at home. When I was on vacation (I had JUST gotten the Pre) I had zero Data, so it was like a godsend having the wifi there.
    Also while in the bahamas I could still connect with wifi. If traveling ever its nice to have wifi.
    The wifi signal in my house and office is faster and more reliable than any Sprint EVDO connection out there. Wi-fi is not absolutely necessary, but it's very nice to have if your phone signal is iffy (as it is for me with deadspots in both my house and office).
    my room is in the basement, so I use wifi at home. Sprint's data speeds and coverage rock everywhere I go, so I even leave it off when I'm at a coffee shop or somewhere like that (even though all the iPhone guys gotta have it on there to have a useable phone although, that's AT&T's fault). I can see how it would be a must-have when traveling though. If I ever was someplace w poor network coverage, I'd die without it!
    Last edited by igobytony; 01/04/2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: cos at&t sucks, not iPhones
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting the idea that if I have good phone and evdo coverage in the places I go then I don't really need wifi. It's just a good backup for lack of coverage or faster speeds when web browsing.
    Unlimited data plan has a limit of 5 gb???
    Had not thought about data and phone at same time, thats good.
    Actually, it does not. That's a common misconception. There is a 5gb limit for some other packages, but the Sprint Everything Data packages do not have a 5gb limit.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Wifi radio uses less power than 3G so your battery lasts longer on Wifi.

ian
    Well a lot of people think that their signal is just fine and they don't need WiFi. I wouldn't be so sure.

At my house, the signal has never been anything to write home about, but I can always get data working on my Pre in a pinch. However, my wife's Pixi has serious issues with data. There are several spots in the house where her Pixi simply cannot make an Internet connection. Even standing outside, it's a wash. I actually had to drive down the block to the main road just to be able to install apps (both official and homebrew) reliably.

So unless you're looking at 3+ bars consistently on your Pre, the Pixi may be one huge headache for you.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Aside home use, the other biggest thing is Wifi syncing. Classic can use it now and I also has Echo.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast