Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have been a faithful Windows Mobile user for the last 5 years or so. Currently I have had a Touch Pro 2 for the last 5 months or so. While I really like the hardware of the phone "giant screen, great resolution, best keyboard" I find that I have grown tired of Windows. The skinning of TouchFlo looks good bu the functionality isn't very useful. About a month after I got the TP2, I disabled TouchFlo and have just been using the standard windows home screen. I actually have a brand new Samsung Moment still in the box that I have never opened. The hardware on the phone looks to be great with the AMOLED screen, slide out keyboard "even with the weird keyboard layout", fast CPU etc. however, Android 1.5 kind of reminds me of Windows with have to use a task manager and just the layout of everything. I have read that it will be upgraded to Android 2 in mid/late 2010 but don't feel like waiting that long for it.

So here I am now with some questions about the Pre. First I wanted to address the keyboard. I have read all the reviews and watched a lot of videos about the Pre and the majority of people seem to complain about the Keyboard on the Pre. Now in the past I owned a Treo Pro for about a year in which I was satisfied with the device and actually kind of liked the keyboard. Is the keyboard on the Pre the same or similar as it is on the Treo Pro? Secondly, is the Pre able to do true IMAP Idle for AOL email, or do you set a predefined time where it will automatically check your mail for new items "as it does on Windows"? Third question being does the Pre Sync contacts to your Phone from Outlook and vice verse when you plug it in to the computer? Lastly, I am truly intrigued with the wireless charging system. Does the Touchstone charging system really work well? I have read that it is slower then just using a microUSB but the charging time really isn't as important as I am just wondering how well the phone stays on the charger and if it requires wiggling the phone around to get it to work.

Sorry for the long post but I would really like the Pre to be the phone that finally pulls me away from Windows. Thanks!
    Last edited by B Feelgood; 01/04/2010 at 07:38 AM.
    I can't comment on the email questio, but the Keyboard is small and has a cramped feeling, but over time I have gotten used to it and can type very well with it.

I do have a touchstone charging system as well, I do know that the wall charger and the touchstone both draw 1amp to charge, versus usb to computer only charge at .5 amps, that being said I have not noticed a slower charge time when comparing the touchstone to the wall usb charger, I do notice when charging my phone with the computer it does seem a little slower. Hope this helps.
    As for email you can set intervals for it to refresh the email. The faster the intervals the faster your battery drain though, but I think you can have it up to refresh every 15 minutes.

I absolutely love the keyboard I don't know how big your hands are, but its perfect size for mine. I can type pretty dang fast on it and never really feel like I'm struggling to type something.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    i have my email set to deliver emails as they come in. yes, the battery life on the Pre does go down rather quickly, but i haven't noticed a difference from having the emails delivered as they come in, compared to checking every 15 mins.

as far as the battery goes, i read multiple reviews before purchasing mine. i knew about the battery. sometimes it gets to me, but i throw it on a charger in the back of the ambulance, and am going to buy a car charger today.

before i bought the Pre, i was totally against it. mainly because of the keyboard. my wife wanted them when they came out...well it didn't happen. i was looking at BB's when i saw the Hero, and boy did i have my heart set on the Hero. until i tried it. then i also tried the dreaded Palm Pre. i had to. i watched videos on it, etc.

the keyboard you will get used to. trust me. i have decently large fingers. just type, and you will be amazed at the accuracy. don't over concentrate on finger placement. just do it.

i like the smallness of the phone. the form factor. it is different from others, and i think Palm will go places. personally, i think Pre is a good choice. I can't wait to see there next version of it...
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    I think IMAP idle is how Gmail uses push and I can confirm this works (gmail push email).

Keyboard - Coming from iPhone, 1st time I used the Pre Keyboard i thought I'd made a mistake choosing the pre, but I quickly got used to it and now I can type very quickly with a low error rate. it's cramped but due to the raised buttons it works well even with large hands (like mine).

Sync of contacts all all done over the air, as far as I am aware there is no usb sync to outlooking. Although there is a 3rd party app that will do this I think (missing sync suite). I've literally never used my USB cable with the pre.

I have 2 Touchstones and it's a fantastic way to charge the device. Nothing to plug in just place it on the touchstone. If you get a call while it's on the touchstone, just take it off and it'll auto answer, or if you keep it on the touchstone and answer it, it will answer in speakerphone mode. Nice little touches like that all the way with pre.

As I said, I previously had an iPhone and we all know how slick that device is. The pre, initially doesn't feel as slick but every update has improved it and homebrew is adding stuff all the time. Great things lie just around the corner for this little device, I love it.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    So there is indeed true IMAP idle support for AOL mail out of the box from Palm? I found a few articles son Engadget that say the Pre has IMAP idle support for GMAIL but no mention of AOL mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
    So there is indeed true IMAP idle support for AOL mail out of the box from Palm? I found a few articles son Engadget that say the Pre has IMAP idle support for GMAIL but no mention of AOL mail.
    Push e-mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Wikipedia

The Palm Pre webOS has push email for Gmail, IMAP, and Exchange accounts.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I own both a Samsung Moment and a Pre...

I also owned a Treo800w before the Pre, so if you used a treo pro KB you should not have many issues with the Pre KB. As a previous reply said, if you just go ahead and type without focusing on being exact it works well. I like that you can use with a single hand, while my moment requires 2. (thought the moment screen and speed are awesome!)

You should have no issues with e-mail, as to battery, I check 6 different e-mail address' on delivery, use it for messaging, web browsing, and phone calls pretty heavily and get about 10 hours of life. I have a spare battery, and use a car charger when I use Sprint Nav. I generally have to use the spare battery if I let the kid watch sprint tv for a prolonged period of time.

If you want a phone that you can really make your own through homebrew apps and patches that come from a dedicated and talented dev community, this is an awesome phone. If you want a phone that does everything you want out of the box, this is probably not the phone for you.

Hope it helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
    ...I have read all the reviews and watched a lot of videos about the Pre and the majority of people seem to complain about the Keyboard on the Pre.
    I am a moderator here and have never heard of complaints with the Pre keyboard. I can type over 20 wpm on it. Some prefer the Virtual Keyboard patch and I do use that as well for quick replies. I have large hands and no problems. The 3000 Autoreplace Words patch catches 99% of my typos as I type.

Before we leave it, look at the list of patches.You will be able to make the Pre work how you want it to work.
    Secondly, is the Pre able to do true IMAP Idle for AOL email, or do you set a predefined time where it will automatically check your mail for new items "as it does on Windows"?
    I don't know anyone still using AOL so I have no idea.

The preferred way would be to use Gmail. Let Gmail suck in all of your contacts and info from AOL. Set up AOL to forward to Gmail. Then the Pre syncs with Gmail for great backup and instant notifications.
    Third question being does the Pre Sync contacts to your Phone from Outlook and vice verse when you plug it in to the computer?
    I use CompanionLink but there are a list of solutions here: Backup & Syncing
    Lastly, I am truly intrigued with the wireless charging system. Does the Touchstone charging system really work well?
    I have a Touchstone at home, at work, and in my car. All three work amazingly well. I buy almost all of my accessories at the PreCentral Accessory Store. Great prices. Fast shipping. (You will get the same prices I get.)

As to battery, some seem to try to do everything possible to load down their Pre's. If you follow the Battery Life Tips, you should have great results.

But don't overlook all of the Homebrew Apps Themes, & Patches. You can make your Pre look how you want it to and work how you want it to. See all of the other getting started links in my signature below.

Don't let your history prevent you from having a good future.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/04/2010 at 10:28 AM.