Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I've gone through several pages in most of the forums here, and havent found much. I just had to swap phones because my speaker died, and used the manual back up the minute before I handed over my old phone. Well, get the new pre, put on 1.3.5 and palm profile won't sync back. It gave me all my names, facebook and gmail contacts, unlinked all the contacts I had linked, and NO phone numbers.

Is this typical? Its been since saturday AM, the guy said it could take some time, but now 530am monday, it should have had enough time by now. I've done several restarts, and also attempted a backup again which may have thwarted me, but short of going through my instinct and copying them over by hand, alas the pre does not support bluetooth contacts, Is there an easier way?

I fell in love with palm with my indestructable treo 600 and 650, and I really don't want to start hating them now.

Sorry for the wall of txt, but its just how I type
    did your old pre have 1.3.1? did the new one you got have 1.3.1, or did it already have 1.3.5 on it when you activated it? that was the problem with the 1.3.1 update. Id say call palm and see if they can help you. Some people were able to get their contact info restored form earlier backups palm had in their systems.

If you do end up having to manually re-enter your contacts, you may as well just create a Gmail account and enter the contacts there, that way you can just sync your pre/pixi with your google account. Plus side to this is it also creates a backup on google's servers, which are less likely to lose your data. Even if palm is able to get your contacts restored, or you find another way of restoring them, its still a good idea to re-enter them in a google account.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    both pre's had 131 on them, I ddid the update on this one after I left the store and got it charged.

I've considered doing it on google, just to have another backup available, just...idk I try to keep my email and phones separate, call me old fashioned. I do realize the hypocrisy of me linking profiles on my pre.

do you have a number or email address available at palm? I won't be home for a few days yet and I'd like to get this solved one way or another.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Having lost my contacts once, I no longer depend on Palm to save/restore my contacts. All contacts are either on my Google account or my Exchange account.

If you really don't want to use Google, you might try (next time) backing up the database directly. Use WebOsQuickInstall to copy var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer, then restore it when you get a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    Having lost my contacts once, I no longer depend on Palm to save/restore my contacts. All contacts are either on my Google account or my Exchange account.

If you really don't want to use Google, you might try (next time) backing up the database directly. Use WebOsQuickInstall to copy var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer, then restore it when you get a new phone.
    Problem with regrafting this db3 files is it produce the issue where deleting SMS threads cause new once not showing up. This DB3 file brings back ALOT more then just palm profile data. The best way is to use a tool descripted here that auto extracts the contacts from the db3 file and makes them into a csv file. From what ive found what is actually in this db3 file, this SHOULD be the last ditch effort when all else fails. People REALLY need to put this data into exchange/google.
    I suggest you contact Palm's support staff to see if they are able to assist you in transferring an older backup to your device. The phone number for tech support is 877-426-3777
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post

+1.

Palm Profile sucks.

Google does not.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Have you tried a full erase and see if that restores the information once you sign back into the Palm Profile?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'm actually getting ready to do the full erase now. I removed all my profiles and it still has multiple blank contact entries. Names are there, but no info, and slide-delete doesn't work. I'm just looking around for the best way to take the phone back to factory settings, and do everything all over again, syncing through google from now on.
    palm back up actually did work for me, I did a full erase then restored all my info back to the pre easily. I did do a manual backup, to make sure my info was backed up 1.3.5. All contacts back with their appropriate info. So palm back up did work for me.