Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    For text messaging I wanted something unique, natural, noticeable yet unobtrusive at the same time so decided on a cricket chirp. I spent hours online searching for what I heard in my head without finding anything good, finally found a 30 second night sounds sample from a BBC effects library that contained the perfect chirp. I snipped it, looped it, added the right amount of delay to get the double chirp I had in my head and have been using it ever since. I like that it's something nobody else has.

For personal e-mail I use the Road Runner's "meep meep" and for work e-mail it's the "pluddle-duddle-dunk" that follows it. Or at least so it was on my Treo with ChatterEmail, on my Pre it's just meep-meep for the notification sound; but I've applied patches to turn most notifications off so it's overwhelming just for e-mail that I hear it...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    ...the "pluddle-duddle-dunk" that follows it...
    that is the perfect way to write what that sounds like! lol, good job.
    well my sms ringtone stiil cuts off after three seconds, so yea, that sucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    What patch are you using to get this done? I just checked the phone and see no way to change notification sounds.
    milominderbinder gave you the answer if you want to have unique notification sounds for each contact.

In order to just change the default notification sound, no patch is necessary. Just go into the Messaging app, open the Messaging menu and select Preferences & Accounts and you can select your ringtone there.
    been looking everywhere for the nextel chirps! Can you send me them/post or something? I'd appreciat it .
    http://the-big-house.com/nextelchirpout.wav
    http://the-big-house.com/nextelchirpin.wav
    I got my pre-plus a month ago and can't see a way to assign one ring tone for all my contacts (1100+) and one ring tone for non-contacts. I did it this way with my Treo 650 and it makes it easy to tell if I know or have had contact with the caller in the past. Of course 98% of known callers are family/friends, etc. so in effect it's a default to family/friends. I sync to Google contacts. Hopefully I just haven't seen a way to do this - thanks.
    Last edited by iyamsteve; 07/22/2010 at 07:42 AM.
    R2D2 for text messages. My ring tone is the yip-yips discovering the telephone from sesame street. Standard system sound for everything else.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Call of Duty level up riff for texts
    Transformers transforming sound (the cartoon one) for emails

Got lots of gears of war soundbites as well for if I fancy a change
    Default SMS is the first 2 measures of "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon. Similarly, for specific contacts I use brief instrumental clips from the intros of various songs.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I use either the arrow sound and "Message for you, Sir" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or some of the video game sound effects via the mouth of Michael Winslow of Police Academy.
    My text message alert sounder is the ESPN sounder they play during the NFL Draft when a team has just made their selection. If you'd want it go here and just download it to your pc and than copy it on your pre. For all you sports nuts!!!

ESPN 28/58 Alert ringtone by ESPN
    Last edited by TigerNamedfTony07; 07/22/2010 at 09:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    For a ringtone, I use the "old" 24 CTU ringtone. In the past I've also used a clip of the yip-yips and the telephone as someone else mentioned (I think I made that one myself) and the Robot Chicken closing credits "bawk" song (freely available from the Robot Chicken website).

For text messages, I use the old Treo "bee-doo" alert sound. I don't remember where I found that sound for reuse, but I think it was on a thread here somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by iyamsteve View Post
    I got my pre-plus a month ago and can't see a way to assign one ring tone for all my contacts (1100+) and one ring tone for non-contacts. I did it this way with my Treo 650 and it makes it easy to tell if I know or have had contact with the caller in the past. Of course 98% of known callers are family/friends, etc. so in effect it's a default to family/friends. I sync to Google contacts. Hopefully I just haven't seen a way to do this - thanks.
    There's a homebrew patch that allows for a custom tone for calls from people not in your contacts. You would set a default ring - that's what you'd hear for folks in your contact, and use the patch for the others.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I use the "boyeep" sound that Legend of Zelda makes when you pick up a heart. It always makes me happy to hear it!
    (zzzzzzzzz)

That's the sound of vibrating for every kind of notification
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    the beginning of a Rise Against song, and the beginning of a System of A Down song.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiijedi View Post
    I was just curious what kind of sounds do you use for texts/notifications...I am getting bored with mine and maybe some suggestions would be cool...thanks
    I use sonar pings (think submarines) for most of my sounds now including ringer. They are subtle... people dont notice them unless they know to listen for them and they go very well with vibrate in my pocket. One ping for email, two for text or im, and 5 for a phone call. I even have specialized pings for certain people so that the sound scheme stays the same, but i can tell from the type of ping if it is someone I need to pay more attention to (eg my boss or my young lady) For instance, I have three different ringers, on a normal "unknown caller" it will ping slowly, for a regular contact it pings at a medum speed, and for those few important callers it pings a little faster and has an almost "dirty" sound to it a grainy audio texture in the background that makes it stand out from ambient noise just a little more than the normal ringer. I can leave my phone sitting on my desk with the screen face down and the only people who can hear it go off at all are standing in my cubicle with me, and always ask "Did I hear something?" Of course... when I turn the volume up the pings can also wake me from sleep or get my attention as I walk around outside from my pocket.
    id post the link to download the Nextel chirp but alas I have to post 9 more times to be able to post links
    I use

Shipping up to boston
    nextel chip
    IM/TXT messages: The original ICQ "Uh-oh!" sound.
    Alerts: The Mac OS Classic "Quack"
    Notifications: The Mac OS Classic "Wild Eep"

I have a few custom songs set for people as ringtones. The guy in the office right next to mine also has a Pre, so ONE of us had to differentiate!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast