Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I'm just curious as to whether or not Sprint considers this a hardware malfunction or if they're going to say it's normal wear and tear (and I have to pay for a new phone)

I have insurance, but it's still 100 dollars. Of course I'm going to completely wipe my phone before I go in tomorrow. I'm sure there are threads on the best way to back up my contacts, but if anyone feels like adding their two cents hrre, I won't complain
    I had my power button replaced, had the insurance, took it to a sprint location w/ repair center. They fixed it in 30-40 minutes, no charge. FYI, mine was dropped right on the power button, cracked the screen, but it still works, they just fixed the button and said if the screen ends up going out,then I would have to pay the deductible and get a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Issu View Post
    I'm just curious as to whether or not Sprint considers this a hardware malfunction or if they're going to say it's normal wear and tear (and I have to pay for a new phone)

I have insurance, but it's still 100 dollars. Of course I'm going to completely wipe my phone before I go in tomorrow. I'm sure there are threads on the best way to back up my contacts, but if anyone feels like adding their two cents hrre, I won't complain
    google is the best backup i could imagine and when youve got the palm profile which can be finnicky (my last replacement only loaded emails from my profile lucky google was there) its common sense to use google
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDeySchenk View Post
    I had my power button replaced, had the insurance, took it to a sprint location w/ repair center. They fixed it in 30-40 minutes, no charge. FYI, mine was dropped right on the power button, cracked the screen, but it still works, they just fixed the button and said if the screen ends up going out,then I would have to pay the deductible and get a new phone.
    Well, that is pretty good to know. While my Pre has taken a beating, I can safely say I've never dropped it. I carry keys on my hips and when I put in my pocket, it scratches right near where the button is. I was hoping they didn't look at it and decide that was the cause of the button not working.

If they fix the button right then and there, I'm going to be pretty peeved that I restored my phone, hahah.
    my power button broke about a week ago. I took it to the sprint store (which is also a full repair center) and all the guy did was pop off the button and put a piece of paper in the whole then put the button back. I couldve done that. He said that palm doesn't want sprint people opening their phones, then he gave me his card and told me to call him if I'm unhappy with it still and he'll order me a new one free of charge. I'm still debating over getting a new one or not. The power button is alright I guess but I really like the slider of my current pre and also the screen doesn't have any dead pixels.
    My power button broke about a month ago and the Sprint tech guy tried but he couldn't fix it. He said it wasn't a "recognized" issue with Sprint so he couldn't replace it under warranty. I took it to the Sprint store and he called and got my deductible down to $50. I hope they recognize it as a problem now.
    hahahaha my power button has been broken for almost 4 months. . . Regardless of all the people saying hardware in the pre is cheap I think the complete opposite. . . I have dropped my phone hundreds of times. . . The screen hits the ground first and it still works like a charm. . . My old moto q started having problems after the 10th drop. . . Loving my pre :-D
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have an original release Pre and my power button broke yesterday.

Just took it to a Sprint Repair Store and got it fixed. =D
    My power button just went out as well, and I also have the insurance. When I took mine in, they didn't even ask to look at the phone, they just immediately ordered me a replacement.

No deductible charge either.
    mine broked on me on xmas day (thank you santa), I went to the sprint store and the tech told me he dint have the parts to fix it, I then asked when will he be receiving it, I was told "randomly" I'm trying to see if I can find a way to get sprint to order a piece of paper (seems to be the fix) instead of going back to the only sprint/repair center in my city. I'll try asuron since I have insurance on my phone.
    Wow this is a eerie subject....my power button just broke between Sat and Sunday morning. Which I have no clue of how, since I was asleep.

It does seem like sticking paper in it fixes it, just have been able to get it perfect yet. I'll try today, if not just take it to a Sprint repair shop.

Ive had my PRE since launch day, and this is the 1st issue I have had with it. I dont want a replacement just for that. I already have this phone set up all the ways I want it.

Update: Yes it seems like sticking a balled up piece of post it does seem to fix the problem slightly. Atleast the button does work now.
    Last edited by titansluvpre; 01/04/2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Update
    This happened to my phone about 2 months ago. I have NO insurance. Brought it into a sprint store, came back an hour later after they said it was "fixed". The button still didnt spring very well so I went back again and they just had a refurbished one overnighted to me. This was all done for free with no insurance
    Power button broke on my Pre awhile ago and Sprint happily replaced it.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I also had my button cave in while in my pocket. I went to my Sprint Store w/ Repair Center and they gave me a new phone on the spot. I was out in 10 minutes.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    I've spoken to a friend who worked for the Sprint repairs and he's saying that he is seeing quite a bit of the Palm Pre being turned in for repairs on the broken power button. According to him, the two most common issues is the power button and the "oreo" effect. I've dropped my Pre many times and the worst I've gotten was scratches on the glass and a crack in the case. I have slight "oreo" effect, but power button still clicking away. :-) In terms of physical durability, I'll give it an 8-9 out of 10.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Add one more to the broken power button...I am getting a replacement sent to me. I wonder if they will find some sorta of permanent fix for this. I agree with others...other than a slight oreo effect my pre has been pretty sturdy.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Dang it, mine just broke sometime tonight. Was fine during the day. Going to have to find the Sprint repair store today.
    just cut a piece of a rubber eraser and put it under the power button...worked for me...
    i dropped my pre the first week i got it and the button popped off. I kept cutting it on and off with a paper clip. Once i got tired, I took it to my local sprint store and they put another button on in 10 minutes.
    This just happened to me. It wasn't from dropping it either, it just decided to quit. I am rather attached to my phone so I don't really want to exchange it. Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

edit: I just saw Bradenspear's post so I will try that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast