1.    #1  
    Let me preface by saying that this is my first post here at precentral. I read around the forums and the home page daily and listen to all of the palmcasts. I've never really had too much to say until now. The pre is my first palm phone and I have quickly become a huge palm fan. I think I have a pretty good idea of what palm should do to try and become a more competitive company in the smartphone industry.

I think it would be an amazing idea if Palm took the homebrew community and made it legitimate. After I started using preware I became so much more in love with the palm pre, which I already liked a LOT in the first place. The patches especially are something that palm should take and turn into a sub category in the app catalogue. Think about it, being able to change the functionality of your phone and have specific setting costumed tailored to your specific tastes is amazing. Palm bringing in 3rd party developers to do things like this would be such a good idea. I dont see it as a weakness but as a way for palm to say that they know they have a solid product, but they arent letting their giant ego get in the way of letting developers help make their product better (Im looking at you apple). I would honestly be willing to pay 25-50 cents for any of the patches available right now. I think that if it became legitimate, advertised, and easier to get to, patches would be hugely popular. Thanks to patches my phone works pretty much exactly the way I want it to work. Being able to alter and enhance the functionality of your phone could be such a huge selling point for Palm if they were to pursue this. It would be a completely original idea that no other smartphone platform would have. I can see the commercials now talking about different patches and then a slogan saying "Palm Pre, theres a patch for that"
    i'm with you. i think carrier/maker sponsored patch repositories would be great. just give everyone a plain-jane phone, and then let them custom build it to exactly the user experience that they desire. kind of like w a jeep. i think there could be a lot of marketing opportunities available also if things worked that way. i mean, entire campaigns could be based on the concept of individuality and uniqueness.

i hope that the future of mobile devices looks something like that.
  3. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    WebOS "There's a patch for that"
    While I tend to agree (sort of), imagine Palm's position. They would then have to support millions of phones that have been modified at (near) the core level. They've no idea what impact any of the patches actually have without testing and more testing. I know that the community does test their patches before releasing them, however I also am certain they don't test them beyond their intended scope.

Chaos theory here... a patch is a butterfly.
    this would never happen. . . Would you want some third party to make a patch that will damage a phone and then palm is the one supposed to take responsability
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Nothing against the patch developers, but why would palm want to provide core OS functionality through a cobbled together system that patches their files? Wouldn't they just patch them themselves?

I honestly have no idea what the big deal with the patches are. If palm wanted to provide that functionality, they would have. 99% of the patches just do things that WebOS should probably do already anyway, and probably will do anyway at some point in the future. The other 1% do things that Palm probably intentionally didn't want to include in the OS for various reasons.
    It wouldnt be hard to implement many of the things that patches do as toggle switches
    1) LED BLink
    2) 4x4 icons vs 3x3
    4) Battery % rather than icon
    etc

These aren't that hard to implement and they really wouldnt affect OS upgrades.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    While I tend to agree (sort of), imagine Palm's position. They would then have to support millions of phones that have been modified at (near) the core level. They've no idea what impact any of the patches actually have without testing and more testing. I know that the community does test their patches before releasing them, however I also am certain they don't test them beyond their intended scope.
    Exactly, I think it's fine the way it is. I'd rather have Palm use the manpower for other stuff. Palm would have to check, test, approve and support every patch. That'll delay the patches for at least a week, if not (much) more.

The hardcore (and even mildcore) can have their patches. Palm doesn't disable them, but they don't support them either. I think the synergy between the homebrewers and Palm is pretty good..
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    It wouldnt be hard to implement many of the things that patches do as toggle switches
    1) LED BLink
    2) 4x4 icons vs 3x3
    4) Battery % rather than icon
    etc

These aren't that hard to implement and they really wouldnt affect OS upgrades.
    In fact, LED Blink is actually Palm code that the patch just uncomments. I don't know what drove the design decision to disable the code, but that's all that patch does.

I believe there are plenty of other examples in the patch repository of this sort of thing, including the add/remove launcher pages.