Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    If the Snapdragons are basically beefed up Qualcomms that only deliver SPEED instead of speed AND more functionality and potential (better games, animations, less work on the actual CPU, etc) then why should I stick with Android? Will they be using newer, state-of-the-art chipsets in ALL newer devices (something equivalent to ARM Cortex processors)? If the Pre's processor gonna be the best we have FOR A WHILE then I might as well go to the Pre again anyway.
    This is the problem with technology. As soon as you get the latest and greatest in less then a month something better will come out. I deal with this a lot when using computers. You buy the latest computer and with in a month or even less there is something better out.

In my opinion waiting and waiting to get the best device is rather silly as there will always be something better. You should get the device that feels right for you even if it doesn't have the latest hardware. Does it do what you want it to do? If the answer is yes then i'd keep/get that device till it doesn't satisfy your needs anymore. In which case you should move on.

The whole what device is better argument is rather silly imo. My mom uses a Samsung Exclaim, is it a suped up flash playing iphone killer? No. Does it do what my mom needs it to do. Yes. For her its a perfect phone. You'll always have iphone, android, and palm fan boys, and for them those are the best phones. Really when it comes down to it its all about personal tastes.

-Toaster
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    This is the problem with technology. As soon as you get the latest and greatest in less then a month something better will come out. I deal with this a lot when using computers. You buy the latest computer and with in a month or even less there is something better out.

In my opinion waiting and waiting to get the best device is rather silly as there will always be something better. You should get the device that feels right for you even if it doesn't have the latest hardware. Does it do what you want it to do? If the answer is yes then i'd keep/get that device till it doesn't satisfy your needs anymore. In which case you should move on.

The whole what device is better argument is rather silly imo. My mom uses a Samsung Exclaim, is it a suped up flash playing iphone killer? No. Does it do what my mom needs it to do. Yes. For her its a perfect phone. You'll always have iphone, android, and palm fan boys, and for them those are the best phones. Really when it comes down to it its all about personal tastes.

-Toaster
    Very good point, and this is my problem. When it comes to day-to-day activity, the Hero can do more for me....plain and simple (maybe I was just using the Pre wrong when it came to downloading PDF and Word documents). HOWEVER, when I try to do something on the Pre, it does it SO MUCH FASTER, speeding up productivity of what I am capable of doing on the Pre. So both satisfy my needs as far as productivity goes in different ways
    However, I've been debating about whether even a Snapdragon (the future 1ghz processors) are as powerful as the Pre's?

If the Snapdragons are basically beefed up Qualcomms that only deliver SPEED instead of speed AND more functionality and potential (better games, animations, less work on the actual CPU, etc) then why should I stick with Android? Will they be using newer, state-of-the-art chipsets in ALL newer devices (something equivalent to ARM Cortex processors)? If the Pre's processor gonna be the best we have FOR A WHILE then I might as well go to the Pre again anyway.
    Whoa, what? There's no debate to have. Snapdragons are FAR more powerful than the processor in the Pre, Droid, and iPhone 3GS.

Take a look at this review of the Google Nexus One by the Nexus One Blog:

Nexus One†Review - Home - NexusOneBlog

Just before the wrap-up at the bottom, there's a graphic showing the results of their benchmark tests of the Google Nexus One (snapdragon) versus the Droid (Same Cortex A8 in the Pre).

The Nexus One was almost SEVENTY percent faster in graphics and CPU benchmarks.
    I like the Hero, but the speed to me is a issue. I like the layout of the phone and I really like the Android OS. That being said, the improvements Palm has made will keep me for now. I love the Pre and appreciate all that Palm is doing, but I like may other people just donít want to Waite around for current technology. Sprint currently has nothing else to offer. If they had the Moto Droid, I would probably jump ship. Its ugly, but that phone is smoking fast. To me it blows the Pre and iPhone out of the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Whoa, what? There's no debate to have. Snapdragons are FAR more powerful than the processor in the Pre, Droid, and iPhone 3GS.

Take a look at this review of the Google Nexus One by the Nexus One Blog:

Nexus One*Review - Home - NexusOneBlog

Just before the wrap-up at the bottom, there's a graphic showing the results of their benchmark tests of the Google Nexus One (snapdragon) versus the Droid (Same Cortex A8 in the Pre).

The Nexus One was almost SEVENTY percent faster in graphics and CPU benchmarks.
    As mikah stated, the new snapdragon processor seems to be the processor that most phones will be moving too.. Its a newer architecture and proves to be a VERY noticeable upgrade, without negative effects to the battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by feyded1020 View Post
    As mikah stated, the new snapdragon processor seems to be the processor that most phones will be moving too.. Its a newer architecture and proves to be a VERY noticeable upgrade, without negative effects to the battery life.
    While true in full, the other factor is that software apps will bloat and make sure to fill it up, just look at desktop/laptop computers, with a few exceptions the bloat of software has followed all the 'upgrades' along the way.

things like the live backgrounds on the Nexus one, really useless, but eye candy that is CPU consuming...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    While true in full, the other factor is that software apps will bloat and make sure to fill it up, just look at desktop/laptop computers, with a few exceptions the bloat of software has followed all the 'upgrades' along the way.

things like the live backgrounds on the Nexus one, really useless, but eye candy that is CPU consuming...
    They're selectable and can be changed at will. I can't speak for WinMo Snapdragon phones, but Android would let you run as little or asmuch asyou want to at one time.
  8.    #68  
    So with 1.3.5, is the issue of PDF documents been resolved then?
    So with 1.3.5, is the issue of PDF documents been resolved then?
    I have been able to open PDF docs since I got my pre, I even installed the preware extract viewer to view in landscape.

When you encounter a PDF in the browser, touch the link, it will make a new link for a launch after it is downloaded and cached, click that to view.
    I have never had it NOT view a PDF file, even some weird MS publisher printed PDF files.
  10.    #70  
    That's weird because I could never open PDF documents right out of the browser, and I've seen reports of others having similar problems. Like i said, I've had 7 Pre's and none of them could open PDF documents without them bein put on by the computers. When I would click on a PDF document it would show yellow exclamation point and it would just show a blank page. Some of the files I would try to open were also PDF documents and they wouldnt open either.
    Sounds like you were doing something wrong then, easiest thing I have ever done however.

just tested it exactly like I said in the previous post, it downloads, then click the arrow to the right and it opens up in all its multi touch pinch and zoom glory.

now I've only had one Pre, but it works on my friends pre as well.
    Hmmm.....Pre vs. Hero. I'm on my second Pre (both have the crack forming from the USB port despite being gentle with my phone and keeping it in a case). I love the WebOS software and feel it has a lot of room to grow. I considered getting a Hero when the first phone cracked but couldn't afford it. Now with the second one cracking, my girlfriend's developing a stuck power button, and my limited patience, I would have seriously been considering a Hero if it weren't for the new crop of HTCs about to hit. Between the Nexus One, the souped up Bravo later on, and whatever LG is announcing with Sprint this week I may just hold off and get one of this newer generation. I don't complain about new things coming out and knocking my device off the top of the heap but I also don't buy the last gen right as a new one is about to come out.

I think anyone considering a new phone should wait at least through this week. Palm should have their updated Pre announced for VZW. There will be at least a couple of high end Android phones on the way as well. Good times for smart phone users...but not so much for those with limited budgets

Anyway, in answer to the OP, I think that overall the Pre is better than the Hero due to much better hardware under the hood and a great OS but the Hero has a better build quality and the benefit of having a slightly more mature OS.
  13.    #73  
    Ok...if people can offer me solutions to the following problems, I'm going back to the Pre:

1. I CANNOT open PDF or Word documents simply by clicking on the browser link. As I stated before, I've had 7 Pre's, and ALL of them had this problem. If there is a homebrew app or something that can help with this, then problem solved.

2. Battery life. I know the battery can only go so far, and I plan on dealing with this myself by buying a bigger battery anyway (if the phone doesn't buldge too much).

3. Slider issues. I plan on remedying this by buying a case that is the least noticeable (something that doesn't add a lot of bulk and size to the phone because I loved it's form factor.

Even IF all these needs are not met, I'm pretty much leaning 60-70% going back to the Pre vs 30-40% keeping the Hero.

4. Video recorder WITH sound (last time I remember, Precorder doesn't have sound).

5. Exchange connectivity and certificate installing (can't install certificates on Hero right now for my Exchange account).

6. Poor signal reception.

Basically, I am looking for a phone that is fun, but offers solutions for business users as well. I don't want to the thing predict the future for me or show me a video of current activity on the moon or wipe my *** for me.....I just need a phone that is functional for my needs.
    precorder has always had sound, to my knowledge. It has as long as I've had it, and that's been over two months now. There are options also for what format you want the sound and vieo to be captured in, and also the container for it all.
  15.    #75  
    so basically, there are three problems that remain for me:

1. PDF and Word documents opening in the browser
    2. Exchange (I know there is a certificate manager)
    3. Poor signal (Which I'm kind of just giving up).
    Why isn't this thread moved to Cross platform chat? Mine was and and it was about the Pre.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
  17.    #77  
    Can you install ".cer" certificates on the Pre? This is what my work uses.
    I own a Pre, iphone and had a Hero for a month. I couldnt stand the lag of the Hero. Browsing the net was painful and it may have 20k apps but the majority of them suck and not worth the time.
    If you want a media/app device then just get an iphone or itouch. Nothing can come close to it in terms of Music/movies and Apps. No matter how fast an android phone gets its still lacking in those 3 things which is what most people want. I use my Pre for messaging and phone calls.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234