Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I get really great phone reception, as well, but also agree that the speaker is a little quiet, depending on what's coming through it. I do have to say that when I'm in speaker phone mode no one can tell at the other end...they hear me crystal clear (I know this 'cause my mom hates speaker phones and could hear all kinds of echoes and static on my previous phones -- she never comments or seems to notice when I switch back and forth during a conversation).

I think signal strength/radio reception for the Pre must have a lot to do with geographical location (just a guess) and the Denver Metro area has great Sprint coverage, so maybe that's why I don't have any issues with mine.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I need to replace my 2nd phone (instinct) with a world phone, I just wish a palm or android cdma+gsm quad band would come out!

I've tried the Hero, I am actually much more fond of the WebOS gui, much faster and more polished, but both are solid platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I get really great phone reception, as well, but also agree that the speaker is a little quiet, depending on what's coming through it. I do have to say that when I'm in speaker phone mode no one can tell at the other end...they hear me crystal clear (I know this 'cause my mom hates speaker phones and could hear all kinds of echoes and static on my previous phones -- she never comments or seems to notice when I switch back and forth during a conversation).

I think signal strength/radio reception for the Pre must have a lot to do with geographical location (just a guess) and the Denver Metro area has great Sprint coverage, so maybe that's why I don't have any issues with mine.
    Agreed, I have had many phones, and the pre has the best speakerphone hands down!

I have had several Treo's, WiMos, candybars, instinct, almost everything except an iphone or android os phone, and for the speakerphone Pre tops them all.
  4.    #44  
    So when GPU is finally opened up, what does that mean? From what I inderstand, it will have smoother transitioning from screen to screen, better games, and faster overall speed? Pretty much make it like the iphone?

The biggest reason I'm thinking about going back to the Pre is because Flash is dropping, and I know the hero will not be able to handle flash intense sites like the Pre would be able to.
    I almost bought a Hero here in India but I just could not handle the software keyboard - even the Samsung Star has a better on-screen keyboard IMO. Got lucky after that when I bought a used UK Pre on ebay at a good price and I must say WebOS beats Android easily as an OS. Of course apps and expandability is more in Android but WebOS is quickly catching up and the news of native apps, flash, GPU acceleration & video recording will convert this phone into a monster!

I recommend the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post

and I know the hero will not be able to handle flash intense sites like the Pre would be able to.
    ooooooooooh really? why not?
    @chud311 -

for one, the pre has a better and faster processor (the cortex A8, and not the older A11), and a better dedicated GPU, which will be used by flash..so I agree with jrdatrackstar that the pre will handle flash better than the hero..
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    @chud311 -

for one, the pre has a better and faster processor (the cortex A8, and not the older A11), and a better dedicated GPU, which will be used by flash..so I agree with jrdatrackstar that the pre will handle flash better than the hero..
    negligible, at best.

and Flash will be optomized for mobile applications.
    I don't have a hero but a tattoo on Android 1.6. Why I chose pre was due to the following:

- despite the thousands of apps out there, there is no solution for a full sync with Outlook, on pre, we have chapura and companionsync to say the least

- the UI for pre beats android for me hand down. I often get confused whether I should tap on screen on the buttons in android, with pre, even this gestures and taps, no confusing.

- the super tiny field for entire sms and address and notes on android is ridiculous and my contact address gets cut off too!

- the homebrew and patches on webos is definitely more vibrate (IMHO) for me.

- having been usind treo most of my smartphone life, keyboard is the only thing for me.

- pre is the only one with silent switch, which I totally loved.
    I used a Pre for around three months and have had my Hero for around a month now. I don't see myself going back to the Pre anytime soon. The hardware quality is much higher, the Pre just feels like a toy. While the muli-tasking isn't as good as the Pre it is certainly good enough. One of the big things for me is wifi tethering, I have given up on the Pre and myteather. It works like a dream on the Hero. The browser on the Pre is better but Dolphin is livable. Not having a hardware keyboard still blows. I have not given up on the Pre and still have it. I am going to wait and see what Palm has to say at CES before I decide to sell it or not. I also really miss the Touchstone, so so convenient.
    My battery life isn't too good on any phone i've had. I've adjusted having chargers everywhere.

The Hero's hardware wouldn't be my choice if trying android. Pre would be an easy choice between those two.

Here's a good review of android in case anyone missed it. http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2010/01...rtphone-robin/
    I have to look at a PDF document, I can DO THAT on the Hero; can't on the Pre, for example. When I need to do something (work or school related) I can count on the Hero to do it more than I can with the Pre. Again, this is NOT BASHING THE PRE
    Just for the record, you can open PDF and Word documents on the Pre.
    i dont like the Pre's battery life, i'm too used to doing what i want when i want, and not having to bother with the phone's battery! if i fail to charge it overnight, i wont be able to use the phone during the day!

Whilst homebrew etc are all good, the strength of a phone is how good it is WITHOUT it!
    right now the hero is the better choice!
    im still waiting for apps like msn messenger, ebuddy, skype etc! my old n82 had all of these!

the built quality is subpar, at least on mine, and honestly in this day and age, in the UK its not right! we're paying for an exclusive product! Even sony ericsson has better build, and they're generally looked down on! (just buy a k750, k800, k850 etc!)

still, hopefully at CES that will all change, or get better
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    negligible, at best.

Flash will be night and day between the Hero and Pre, the browser already shows similar support to this claim as the Pre is MUCH more smoother, and renders ALOT better. The Pre's processor architecture gives it this advantage, you cant argue that, the OMAP3430(The Pre's) is far more efficient than Hero's, read the specs yourself(although the Hero runs at 528mhz and the Pre at 500mhz, they are both different architectures, aside from being ARM at the heart, average consumers will look at both and say "The Hero is faster, the number is higher").

Not trying to say the Hero is any bit slower, as this also comes to whether or not the software(which would be the OS in this case)goes about using it efficiently. Which seems to me the Android OS does a great job with ANY processor, which speaks volumes for the OS.

Personally though, aside from the Pre being a little toyish, its internals are alot more future proofed than that of the Hero, I just wish the Pre had a digital compass.. =(
    Just to chime in here, and add to the discussion that abounds in my house every day with my know it all 23 year old son, who loved his Instinct, but ran rings, just so he could get a Hero. For the first day he raved and raved about how superior it was to my Pre, that I have just been infatuated since day one. Yes it has some issues, but overall its FAR above any phone device I have ever had or seen.

After the first week or so, he now admits the lag time is rather annoying. I still find my Pre pretty snappy as for lag time and speed of opening and using apps.

Yes, the Hero does have it, currently as far as apps, and especially some really useful/clever apps. But as for the sheer number of apps, big deal, as most of them are silly things. Id love to have the bar code reader, Shazamm, and a few others. Yes, Hero has video recording, hopefully Pre will soon. The Hero voice to search feature that directly talks to a Google search is pretty nice.

Pre has the most amazing home brew apps I have ever seen with a device for those that want to achieve the higher level, with just a little bit of hair pulling and learning.

But to ME, the MOST important advantage that the Pre wins for me, is the sheer gorgeous look and feel of WebOs. Its elegant, and effortless, and free flowing. The card interface is nothing short of unique genious.

I played with his Hero for about an hour, and it did not even come close to how comfortable the Pre felt, even 10 minutes after I got it.

I still love my Pre, even with the issues it has, I have always been able to overcome a problem with just a bit of browsing around this forum. The slick, easy, fluid, beautiful WebOs is just something I would not trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by feyded1020 View Post
    Personally though, aside from the Pre being a little toyish, its internals are alot more future proofed than that of the Hero, I just wish the Pre had a digital compass.. =(
    This is another point I see mentioned a lot, and I'm not sure the people doing it realize the age we live in. Although smartphone contracts still run a 24-month term, this is almost meaningless. Sprint lets you upgrade fully every TWELVE months, and beyond that, there are remedies such as opening a new line or reselling your device to cover part of the cost of a new phone with no subsidies.

So if it looks like it's going to take 12 months or more for the Pre to reach its full potential (We're at seven, and it's not even close to being there yet even with 1.3.5), what reason, exactly, does a phone geek have to wait for it to catch up when other devices are available that have the options and apps NOW that you might still waiting for on WebOS?

By the time WebOS "gets there", it'll be a totally new landscape on Sprint and in the rest of the industry, and Premier customers who bought the thing in the first place will have many more advanced options available for a relatively painless purchase.

Of course, this only applies to people who aren't totally smitten with WebOS and the Pre in their beta forms. If you're happy...you should stick with it. But there's little reason to spend several of the 24 months of your contract dissatisfied with your device and waiting for major fixes anymore. You won't miss anything since you'll be able to jump back to the Pre or Pre 2 quite easily when WebOS is where you want it to be.
    I got the seidio extended battery and i go thru a full day of very heavy use, with everything on (wifi,bluetooth, screen timeout set at 5 minutes and at 100% brightness) without a problem. I have more signal strength with the pre. With the hero my battery lasts from like 8am till 4pm before dying, but I would get the extended battery if i kept it. If it wasn't for all the homebrew apps (specially video recording) and all the patches I would have kept the hero, but thanks to those things, the pre will probably win. I can not get over how much the hero lags.
    Check out my Light Blue theme and if you like please hit the thanks button or even better, donate.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    negligible, at best.

hehe you vastly underestimate the power of a GPU. Now in days most modern GPU's are much faster then the best CPU's out there. Thats why nvidia uses the GPU for physics using their physX system which can simulate realtime fluids(something other physics engines cant achieve).

As for the pre and its hardware it has the top if not the best GPU on the market for mobile phones. Its the same GPU that the iphone has, and it can help speed things up in a lot of areas. Lately adobe has been working really hard to get the next flash to work good on a wide range of GPU's including mobile GPU's. As it stands right now the flash you see in your browser uses the CPU only. With flash thats GPU enhanced it could easily run on the pre's hardware, as you would have both the CPU an the GPU working together to speed it up.

It seems to me that adobe is working closely with palm on this to get it working right, this video clearly demonstrates their cooperation together:

youtube.com/watch?v=SpI6gA9cuME

I personally think we are going to see some amazing stuff at CES 2010! I only wish I could actually be there!

-Toaster
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGerbilKing View Post
    Just for the record, you can open PDF and Word documents on the Pre.

Yea, like 10% percent of the PDF's I tried to open...if that. Whenever I tried to open basically any PDF or Word Document, I would get the exclamation point ALL THE TIME. If ALL PDF's and Word documents worked, I would be that closer to going back to the Pre. But I went through 7 Pre's, and none of them could DOWNLOAD and open Word or PDF documents ON THE FLY. Yea, I could download them to the USB, but if I'm downloading them, why don't I just use my computer in the first place?

Thanks again to everyone for the responses (without being harsh, especially with me having an Android device). I've really been leaning on the Pre again, but I just can't get over the fact that, like what some else said above, by the time the Pre gets to where it SHOULD be (and should HAVE BEEN from the start, minus Flash) that there will be another device out that's 10 times better than both. However, I've been debating about whether even a Snapdragon (the future 1ghz processors) are as powerful as the Pre's?

If the Snapdragons are basically beefed up Qualcomms that only deliver SPEED instead of speed AND more functionality and potential (better games, animations, less work on the actual CPU, etc) then why should I stick with Android? Will they be using newer, state-of-the-art chipsets in ALL newer devices (something equivalent to ARM Cortex processors)? If the Pre's processor gonna be the best we have FOR A WHILE then I might as well go to the Pre again anyway.

Also, another thing I've thought of; the extra money I spent on the Hero (like $80 dollars) could be spent a newer battery and a nice case. Buying those two things would take of my biggest hardware complaints on the Pre (besides the plastic screen on the Pre, which is far less accurate than the Hero's glass touch screen).
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar; 01/04/2010 at 08:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    i had apalm pre and loved it but i wanted something else so i sold it and went with an HTC Touch Pro 2 and i had it for a week before i traded it for the hero. The hero was ok but not multi-tasking like the pre so much that I sold it and bought a pre on craigslist.. LOVE my pre and will not let go unless i palm comes out with a pre 2
    ditto.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast