Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 78
  1. #21  
    i forsee the pre getting to 1.6 while the hero is still at 1.6 and then the true speed comparisons can begin
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    i forsee the pre getting to 1.6 while the hero is still at 1.6 and then the true speed comparisons can begin
    The Hero is skipping 1.6 from what I read and going straight to 2.1. The Hero is current at 1.5.

    2.1 is reportedly faster but adds CPU hogging features. So we'll see soon.
    Live free or DIE!
  3. #23  
    looks like the pre is gaining grond on the hero faster than i thought since 2.1 is only slated to arrive in the first half of 2010
  4.    #24  
    Again, thanks for all the quick, insightful responses (I really need them as fast as possible).

    I still just don't know what to do. So the groundwork for GPU HAS been laid out in 1.3.5? How soon does everyone think it will be utilized. There is hope though. I guess (although I have just re-signed my contract with Sprint after leaving with the free "out-of-contract deal" because they were giving me crap about my 6th Pre replacement) I am STILL eligible for an upgrade, even though I just upgraded (don't understand). I just checked this on my Hero, and it says I'm eligible, with the end of my contract in Dec 2011. So whatever phone I choose, I'll be able to get the latest and next greatest thing as soon as it comes out.

    So, when do you all forsee GPU being used? Do you guys honestly believe it will be demoed at CES? Is that when I should wait to make my decision?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Again, thanks for all the quick, insightful responses (I really need them as fast as possible).

    I still just don't know what to do. So the groundwork for GPU HAS been laid out in 1.3.5? How soon does everyone think it will be utilized. There is hope though. I guess (although I have just re-signed my contract with Sprint after leaving with the free "out-of-contract deal" because they were giving me crap about my 6th Pre replacement) I am STILL eligible for an upgrade, even though I just upgraded (don't understand). I just checked this on my Hero, and it says I'm eligible, with the end of my contract in Dec 2011. So whatever phone I choose, I'll be able to get the latest and next greatest thing as soon as it comes out.

    So, when do you all forsee GPU being used? Do you guys honestly believe it will be demoed at CES? Is that when I should wait to make my decision?
    CES is this week.

    id wait.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    CES is this week.

    id wait.
    Thanks. That's what I plan on doing. After I see what is planned for BOTH phones, I will make my decision.
  7. astrobill's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #27  
    All:

    I owned the Palm Pre for 29 days on Sprint and have now been an HTC Hero user for about two weeks. Here are some quick thoughts comparing WebOS to Android so far....

    Overall Experience:

    Overall, I must admit that Palm's WebOS is a FAR smoother, intuitive, and easier-to-use operating system. The way the menus and selections work on the Pre was totally consistent across applications, with easy sliders, widgets, etc. that were made to work similarly across all apps.

    In Android, the way menus work is far more complicated. Sometimes you have to back up through multiple menu layers in Android to change a phone or app setting, sometimes you don't...it's weird and inconsistent.

    Multitasking:

    Also, Palm is correct when they say that WebOS has TRUE easy-to-use multitasking. No other smart phone currently compares in my experience. No matter WHAT I was doing on the Pre, I was ALWAYS able push the little button, go into "card view" and simply slide back and forth among all running applications without shutting any of them down. On the Pre, I could check movie times while on a phone call, copy and paste the info into a text to the person I was talking to, or simply TELL them without risking a dropped call or accidentally closing anything (for example). And it was a LOT easier than what the iPhone commercial shows one has to do for the iPhone in the same scenario or what I have to do on the Hero now. There's nothing remotely like the Pre's WebOS level of easy multitasking in Android that I can see.

    In Android, multitasking is a bit harder...one actually CAN switch among up to six currently-running apps in Android if you press and hold the Home button, which then bring up a little window that lets you switch apps. This is a very poorly-advertised feature of Android that everyone should be told when they buy their phone. Still not as easy as multitasking on the Pre, but definitely better than the iPhone.

    Another difference is that the phone and app settings are far more intuitive to get into on WebOS than in Android. In Android, bringing up settings from the home screen pummels you with the total list of every possible setting on the phone, and the order of the list isn't intuitive. On the Pre, one can enter setup screens in a more context-sensitive way than on Android.

    Calendars:

    Another thing: the native, layered calendar on the Pre that synchs with Google, Outlook, etc. is FAR more slick and intuitive and easy to use than the HTC Hero's native calendar widget. I really miss that on the Pre. Oh..and the Hero's calendar doesn't offer a weekly view! LOL The Pre did that, in addition to month and day views.

    Screen and Speed:

    Also, the Pre was MUCH faster and had a much brighter screen. Everything was fast, and the browser went from portrait to landscape view very quickly, with a nice rotation effect to let you know it was flipping. The Hero just sort of lags for a few seconds then suddenly changes views. Overall, the Sprint HTC Hero is much laggier, hiccup-y phone than the Palm Pre.

    So Why Hero/Android and not Pre for now?

    So why did I dump the Pre, despite the clear superiority of WebOS and the Pre computing power? In my case, the initial hardware build quality made for a really bad experience for me....crack started in the screen (radiating from the charger door) for no reason, constant reboots due to loose-fitting battery (now fixed, they say?), etc. Also, like the Hero, the Pre initially had no ability to transfer contacts to my car bluetooth kit (it does now...the Hero doesn't until Android 2.X, ironically). Finally, having to open the little plastic door everytime I wanted to charge the Pre in my car was ridiculous.

    If they come out with a Pre2 that fixes those build quality issues, I'd definitely go back to the FAR superior and well-integrated WebOS phone line. For now, I'll try the Hero because of the slightly better build quality...and the digital compass. Also, I wanted to try augmented reality apps, and the Pre simply doesn't have a digital compass like the Hero and iPhone.

    - Astro
  8. #28  
    I just bought my Pre 3 days ago, Radio Shack had no HTC Hero's in store for me to demo(the employee said they stopped distributing them to make way for the new Hero coming out?).. I read significant amounts of info before purchasing my Pre, about both phones, I really already know what Android has to offer as its Google and very open(love that, but so is the Pre!), and my friend has a G1 that he is obsessed with.

    Personally I think Palm is not going to slack, they obviously know what kind of work they have ahead of them(looking at what Android is offering, and the almighty iPhone).. As far as I can tell they are pushing to their fullest potential to make the most use out of their hardware. The 1.3.5 is a testament to that I think, not only did they increase speed(I dont know how it was slow since I got my phone after the patch) but they quietly slipped in OpenGL support, which is leading many to suspect a very big announcement from CES.

    Also think about how the phone is soon to be released on Verizon, that opens up ALOT more potential for MORE apps(more doesnt mean free, but with competition between them, we will see more free apps if thats a worry for you).. Not to mention it gives Palm more income to keep chugging along(if we assume the sales go great, which from all the news and forums Ive read people on Verizon are anticipating it)on their astounding patch release rate.

    My opinion is that the phone can ONLY improve, and its obvious that Palm sees the potential to improve, I cant see webOS being a terrible choice for anyone. I love my phone I have no regrets not getting a hands on with an HTC Hero, the phone hardware is a little meh(on the Palm Pre of course, the Pixi is amazing aside from not having WiFi) , but I LOVE the OS, and I'm always psyched about new patches(really gives you something to look forward, maybe the military has that effect on me as I live a boring life.)

    Take from my this wall of text what you will.

    edit: I meant to give a shout out to the amazing work that the webOS Internals team has been accomplishing. Always nice to have a great group of coders behind a product.
    Last edited by feyded1020; 01/03/2010 at 07:26 PM.
  9.    #29  
    Sprint Hero 2........hmmmm. If this is true, that may give me more reason to go back to the Pre. I want to love the Pre....but it's hardware and REALLY REALLY poor battery life make me still stick with the Hero. Yesterday, I literally made throughout the day of HEAVY USE before getting a 20% warning. And I got the 20% in a roaming area. Again, this not bashing the Pre, but a sort of an opinion poll as to why I should come back.

    Basically, the thing to look forward to in BOTH PHONES is:

    Flash
    Better Games
    Better UI and speed.

    The Pre, from what I understand, will handle Flash and games better than the Hero simply because of the processor. That's where all the issues come in these type of choices. UI's can always be fixed, but if the HARDWARE can't utilize it.......you know the rest. The real reason I like the Hero more AS OF NOW is because you can simply do more. When I have to look at a PDF document, I can DO THAT on the Hero; can't on the Pre, for example. When I need to do something (work or school related) I can count on the Hero to do it more than I can with the Pre. Again, this is NOT BASHING THE PRE



    CES can't come soon enough = (
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar; 01/03/2010 at 07:45 PM.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Is there anyone that could make me believe that Palm WILL take the Pre to it's full potential? I could make myself deal with all the hardware issues if I simply KNEW that it would pay off because I have a great device with great software and, dare I say it, iPhone-like speed. The Pre basically has that (and although it can lag, it's not as BAD as the Hero with it's processor).
    Err...I'm going to assume you have not been on P|C in the last couple of days? Why don't your backtrack through the last 3-4 days of front page articles and then we can talk again then.
  11. #31  
    We have 3 pres in our family, solid hardware, no problems, originally aquired in June. We are all very happy with the webOS. Thru the updates the battery life has gotten better, can go all day, no problem.
  12. #32  
    The answers in this thread to your questions will probably change a lot on thursday. Ask them again after thursday.
  13. #33  
    This thread pops up every couple of weeks, and as usual, the most important and fundamental part gets ignored in favor of talk of apps, GPU, and lag:

    What device actually physically works best.

    As the former owner of three Pre phones and the current owner of a Hero, I can say it's not even close. Not one of the Pre phones I owned kept a cell or data signal as strong as this Hero...or even my old Centro for that matter. Even the Instinct S30 I had for a few weeks prior to the Pre was a better PHONE.

    That trumps everything else in my opinion.

    Otherwise, Android with Sense UI and WebOS are roughly on par with each other. Anybody here can make a compelling argument for one or the other, and I can say that as much as I criticize Palm, WebOS on hardware with a much better cell/3g radio with the superior design ethic of the Hero would have me back to Palm in a skinny minute.
  14. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #34  
    Hero's hardware is much better than the Pre.
    Having said that , it is a pain for me to type on the HERO and the browser on HERO is slower than Pre.

    If you email, text and browsing is what you do most of the time Pre is for you without second thought.
    But if you need video recorder, Voice dialing and a bigger app selection then HERO is better.
    But the physical keyboard is better always than the touchscreen.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This thread pops up every couple of weeks, and as usual, the most important and fundamental part gets ignored in favor of talk of apps, GPU, and lag:

    What device actually physically works best.

    As the former owner of three Pre phones and the current owner of a Hero, I can say it's not even close. Not one of the Pre phones I owned kept a cell or data signal as strong as this Hero...or even my old Centro for that matter. Even the Instinct S30 I had for a few weeks prior to the Pre was a better PHONE.

    That trumps everything else in my opinion.

    Otherwise, Android with Sense UI and WebOS are roughly on par with each other. Anybody here can make a compelling argument for one or the other, and I can say that as much as I criticize Palm, WebOS on hardware with a much better cell/3g radio with the superior design ethic of the Hero would have me back to Palm in a skinny minute.
    I totally agree. The Hero just simply works as a phone. It has better signal and the speakerphone us louder. However, the phone is so slow that when I when I try to actually answer the phone call, it just freezes on me.

    Also, typing this message took me literally 10 mins to type because the lag was so bad and kept making mistakes (even with auto correct) becase the lag would cause the phone to think I'm holding a button when it freezes.

    I'm about to flash to another custom ROM to see if that improves things, but if not, I'm that much closer to going back to the Pre.
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar; 01/03/2010 at 09:12 PM.
  16. #36  
    My thoughts (as if you haven't probably heard them enough on the PalmCast).

    Both devices are at the whim of the dev/homebrew community. If you take a look over at AndroidCentral, Phil has written up a nice article on what the devs at XDA have done with a leaked release of the RUU Android 2.1; making it work for the Sprint Hero, it's tons faster and has better battery life (at the expense of non-functional camera and multitouch, but that's a matter of time). Flipzmode (XDA dev) has also released his freshROM which is based off the 2.1 UI and has a ton of speed improvement fixes making the Hero a slick little (and useful device). I find myself using the Hero for email and web usage (I prefer how the Hero browser renders wrap around text), custom ROMS (much like Pre-patching) has made the Hero a better experience. Rooting and flashing the device makes it a delight to use.

    That being said... the potential that has recently been unleashed by the latest firmware update 1.3.5 has turned the tide for my daily Pre usage. I reach for the Pre for everything else now... The GPU will be enabled sooner than later (IMO only, I have no inside info to speak from), like I said on the PalmCast, CES is going to show lots of greatness for webOS.

    Anecdotal experiences might help you decide... but in the long run, this is your party and you decide which chips people get to eat. (Worst.Analogy.EVER)
  17. #37  
    I beg to differ on the phone, I dont think the Hero could provide me any better signal than I already get(full bars with my Centro and my Pre).. as well as call clarity I have not a single problem hearing people, its crystal clear(SO much better than my centro, but to defend it, that thing had gone through hell over 2 years), love Pre as a phone, its simplistic and works.(obviously its going to be based on your location, but I have NO clue how this phone has a 'bad antenna' as some people are bringing up, when I bought it, I had full bars at the radio shack, and my centro had 3)

    The speakerphone though does seem noticeably quieter than my Centro, but the Centro had a BEAST of a speaker so thatd explain it.
  18. #38  
    I have a Droid Eris and Palm Pre, and well the Eris is a great device I much prefer the Pre.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by feyded1020 View Post
    I beg to differ on the phone, I dont think the Hero could provide me any better signal than I already get(full bars with my Centro and my Pre).. as well as call clarity I have not a single problem hearing people, its crystal clear(SO much better than my centro, but to defend it, that thing had gone through hell over 2 years), love Pre as a phone, its simplistic and works.(obviously its going to be based on your location, but I have NO clue how this phone has a 'bad antenna' as some people are bringing up, when I bought it, I had full bars at the radio shack, and my centro had 3)

    The speakerphone though does seem noticeably quieter than my Centro, but the Centro had a BEAST of a speaker so thatd explain it.
    I'm grateful for the latest update with the improvement of battery life when in poor reception areas (my school building gets fairly poor service in some locations, including my office)... but the Hero's 1500 mah battery can take a beating from me on most days and has only quit on me once.

    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralViscen View Post
    I have a Droid Eris and Palm Pre, and well the Eris is a great device I much prefer the Pre.
    It's a shame the Hero and Eris are similar but different, I would have preferred the soft touch keys over the crappy metal-paint click buttons on the Sprint Hero. Reports of flaking paint have surfaced as well as my own experience of the Menu button not clicking anymore (it still worked by on screen indication, but there was no "tactile" feel of a press anymore).
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I'm grateful for the latest update with the improvement of battery life when in poor reception areas (my school building gets fairly poor service in some locations, including my office)... but the Hero's 1500 mah battery can take a beating from me on most days and has only quit on me once.
    After having this phone for the time I have, I will agree that most ANY phone has to be better than the battery life Im getting. I have no clue if its something Im running, as people have started pointing the finger at anything webOS Internals related. I just wish I could pinpoint it and turn it off if its possible, I was curious to try my Centro battery out in it, I threw it in at 78%, a bit later(like 5 hours later) I received a phone call, I had FULL bars and wifi on as I walked out the door on the phone(answered it at 69% battery life). Well needless to say I walked to the store, then walked back, and low and behold I get a notification saying "Your Phone is VERY low, please charge the battery". The battery was at 0% exactly.. after 39 mins of talking.. thats VERY unacceptable to me as I really feel I SHOULD have gotten ALOT more out of the phone.

    Aside from this dilemma with the battery(it could just might have been the fact that a 2 year old battery thats been recharged COUNTLESS times, is at its end), I have nothing but praise for this phone, as I stated in another thread, I somehow managed to impress my extremely anti-gadget friends on our hunting trip(had to use sprint navigation, among other programs I was multitasking with, to get us out to the spot). Now my Apple obsessed Dad is curious as to if he should jump ship to the Pre(I think he'd miss apps too much, in due time we will get there though =D ), because I keep telling him all these little things I can do.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions