Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, everyone,

Happy New Year. This is my first post here and wish to thank all the good folks for sharing valuable knowhow with Pre users.

I have a Centro which has served me well. I am waiting impatiently for a GSM Pre (German O2, unlocked) I ordered on HandyNet.ch - Ihr OnlineShop für mobile Geräte - Online Shop,Handy ohne Vertrag, Angebot, Preis, - powered by Contrexx Web Content Management System, to be delivered towards the end of next week. I decided to place the order because GSM Pre can now work with Swisscom SIM card according to that website.

I did some homework in preparation for the arrival of my Pre. According to various info provided here, I know I need to use a third-party sim card to activate the Pre and upgrade the ROM to the latest version 1.3.5 (?) before being able to modify the APN setting. I am going to rely on a German website (Palm Pre - jetzt läuft er mit Swisscom - PCtipp.ch - Praxis & Hilfe) for modifying the APN setting for Swisscom SIM card.

One thing that puzzles me is how to download and install apps. There are, for that purpose, Appstore, Preware, file coaster, Preload etc, each with its own eccentricities. The problems and their solutions discussed here on PreCentral look a bit intimidating to me.

I have following expectations of my Pre:

1. My Swisscom SIM card should work on Pre after some manual tweaking,
    2. Able to download and install WebOS apps without hassle
    3. Able to run Classic and old Palm apps.
    4. Able to sync with Palm Desktop already installed for Centro.

What is the probability of my Pre meeting those expectations without much hassle?

Anyone who can share his/her experience of using a GSM Pre with a Swisscom SIM card in Switzerland?

Thanks.
    Last edited by appia; 01/08/2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: To update my status
    Hi,

Welcome to PreCentral, hope you enjoy your stay. You are correct for the most part, but to answer your queries;

- Latest WebOS Version for GSM Pre's is 1.3.1. WebOS 1.3.5 is not available *yet* for GSM Pre's, should be very soon. Only U.S. Pre's (CDMA) have the 1.3.5 update as of yet, however you can update your GSM Pre to 1.3.5 Unofficially without any problems. But officially its 1.3.1 for now.

- You are correct, you need a sim (O2 recommended) with working data on the Pre which will allow you to perform activation. There is the Meta-Doctor to bypass activation for *advanced* users however.

- APN Setting is very easy to change as of 1.3.1/5, and yes following the website you provided with the instructions are correct and one you should use.

- You can download Apps officially using Palms own App Catalog, however apps are limited as of yet (Growing very quickly however) and no paid apps yet, should open up to paid soon hopefully though.

- To install Homebrew applications i will only ever recommend Preware, do not use filecoaster, Preload or any other, these will not allow advanced homebrew. Preware allows advanced homebrew, as well s patches (Which truly make the phone awesome!), themes etc.

You have very good chances all of the following expectations of the Pre will be met, and we are always here to help, not too familar with syncing with palm desktop but AFAIkK there are numerous applications available which will help you do just that. I am a UK GSM Pre user so cant help you with experiences in Switzerland.

Anything else feel free to ask
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Hi,

- Latest WebOS Version for GSM Pre's is 1.3.1. WebOS 1.3.5 is not available *yet* for GSM Pre's, should be very soon. Only U.S. Pre's (CDMA) have the 1.3.5 update as of yet, however you can update your GSM Pre to 1.3.5 Unofficially without any problems. But officially its 1.3.1 for now.
    Anything else feel free to ask
    Many thanks for your reply.

Can you tell me how to update a GSM Pre to 1.3.5 unofficially? Does the APN have to be modified for running Swisscom SIM card then with each ROM update?
    1) Unofficial update to 1.3.5 is done by extracting the "webOS.tar" file from the Sprint webOS Doctor 1.3.5, and inserting this into the official European one. Which is basically: Extracting like a zip file, copy a file, replace a file, "Update" an existing zip file (replace the file). Then run the Doctor and it should work, the webOS Doctor on your computer might give an error at the end - but it should have flashed the Pre correctly, I've done this 4 times now, succesfully.

2) APN settings will probably have to be modified every ROM update, unless Palm uses the correct settings in their CarrierNetworkSettings database file. Or if Palm makes the Manual APN settings a little better. In any case: it should not form a huge problem.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by appia View Post

Can you tell me how to update a GSM Pre to 1.3.5 unofficially? Does the APN have to be modified for running Swisscom SIM card then with each ROM update?
    Welcome to the forums appia. I'd encourage you to wait until 1.3.5 becomes officially available, it can only be a matter of days now.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter

Sure .

I'm guessing when you receive the phone you will still be on 1.1.2 anyhow. It's going to be a little tedious seen as its a new phone. But your best bets would be ;

- When you first receive the phone, don't bother to activate yet, instead download the GSM WebOS Doctor 1.3.1, this will allow you to update to 1.3.1 and thus not have to modify APN settings the *harder* way. Anyway, run the Doctor, power on your phone (it will take you to setup, leave it as is now), and when the Doctor asks you to connect your phone, do this using the provided usb cable (Make sure phone is charged first). Doctor will erase the phone and update to 1.3.1.

- Once you have doctored your phone, it will turn on and provide you with setup, now you can use the third party sim to activate the phone, and create your palm profile etc. You can then insert your switz sim and edit the APN settings as shown on the website and make sure data is working.

At this point everything will be done, however if you want 1.3.5 read below;

- Now your Pre is activated, with palm profile created. You can proceed to download WebOS Doctor 1.2.1. (Cannot directly use 1.3.5 Doctor as it will through up an error, as its not designed to be used with GSM). Once done, log into your palm profile and perform the usual setup process as usual. You will no have U.S 1.2.1 fw on your Pre, now connect via wifi, go to the Update app on the Pre and search for updates, WebOS 1.3.5 will be available, download and install, once done you will have 1.3.5 on your Pre!

If you are fairly technically competent this will not pose a problem for you, however for maximum ease i recommend waiting for the official 1.3.5 for GSM, however that's a couple of weeks away yet.
    Last edited by Adam Carr; 01/03/2010 at 06:02 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Great. Shadow-360, I will certainly follow your advice on updating ROM to 1.2.1 upon receipt of my Pre. May try 1.3.5 or wait for its official release depending on how confident I feel about myself after upgrading to 1.3.1.
    Greetings to Xioq (impressive signature) and Laze (unable to see yr signature because I have only 2 posts so far).
    I will keep you posted. Can't wait to receive my Pre.
  8.    #8  
    Do you have any recommendation on the protective case/skins and screen protectors for Pre?
    Do you have any recommendation on the protective case/skins and screen protectors for Pre?
    Edited the Post for obtaining 1.3.5, sorry about that, forgot Palm doesnt allow directly using WebOS doctor 1.3.5 on GSM, must use an older than perform an official update .

With regards to screen protectors, Use phantom skinz, recommend, this is the one i use, its Buy one Get One Free, has a lifetime guarantee, and is undoubtedly one of the best on the market. _http://phantomskinz.com/palmpre.aspx

For the case, i use the official Leather case, really looks slick and easier to access than the stock sleeping bag which you also get (which is also v.good in itself however).

Any other queries feel free to ask
  10.    #10  
    With regards to screen protectors, Use phantom skinz, recommend, this is the one i use, its Buy one Get One Free, has a lifetime guarantee, and is undoubtedly one of the best on the market. _http://phantomskinz.com/palmpre.aspx

For the case, i use the official Leather case, really looks slick and easier to access than the stock sleeping bag which you also get (which is also v.good in itself however).
    Any other queries feel free to ask
    Very useful tip. Will need to get invisibleshields for the Pre.

I hope to be able to continue to use on Pre a few apps (dictionaries, CallRec etc ) and many memos that I have on Centro.

While at it, is there a WebOs mail client similar to Snapper Mail that allows receiving and sending emaisl through pop3 and smtp? Will Snapper Mail or the default mail client of PalmOS work under Classic on a Pre?
    Very useful tip. Will need to get invisibleshields for the Pre.

I hope to be able to continue to use on Pre a few apps (dictionaries, CallRec etc ) and many memos that I have on Centro.

While at it, is there a WebOs mail client similar to Snapper Mail that allows receiving and sending emaisl through pop3 and smtp? Will Snapper Mail or the default mail client of PalmOS work under Classic on a Pre?
    Palms own inbuilt WebOS Mail client is excellent as is, and also allows Pop3/SMTP & IMAP, though there is no need to setup, simple enter your email address and password and it works.

Dont get invisibleshields, they have a slight orange peel look, get phantom skinz, as it doesnt, but its upto you.
  12.    #12  
    Palms own inbuilt WebOS Mail client is excellent as is, and also allows Pop3/SMTP & IMAP, though there is no need to setup, simple enter your email address and password and it works.

Dont get invisibleshields, they have a slight orange peel look, get phantom skinz, as it doesnt, but its upto you.
    Good to know that POP3/smtp is supported by the WebOS Mail.

At the moment only invisibleshields are available from Swiss online shops. Will then wait for Phantom Skinz to arrive in Switzerland.
    Thanks for the info.
    Good to know that POP3/smtp is supported by the WebOS Mail.

At the moment only invisibleshields are available from Swiss online shops. Will then wait for Phantom Skinz to arrive in Switzerland.
    Thanks for the info.
    Ahhh ok

Yes i recommend phantom skinz, had to wait for them to ship into the UK from the U.S but well worth it, easier installation, excellent quality, and piece of mind with a lifetime guarantee
  14.    #14  
    Ahhh ok

Yes i recommend phantom skinz, had to wait for them to ship into the UK from the U.S but well worth it, easier installation, excellent quality, and piece of mind with a lifetime guarantee
    I have just placed an order for Skinz from Phantom website at US16.72 plus USD 4.12 for shipping. I suppose I will receive two kits -) Much better value than Swiss online shops here. Thanks for your recommendation.

The shipping method as indicated in my order summary is USPS First Class Mail International Package. How many days will it take to reach Switzerland?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I too use PhantomSkinz and I am happy with the protection it offers.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    One thing that puzzles me is how to download and install apps...
    First, Welcome!

Most of your other questions are well addressed.

The Palm App Catalog is simple. If you are not intimidated by re-flashing a phone, Homebrew will seem boringly easy to you. I am the author of this article:

Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install

Once you are set up for Homebrew, you will have a choice to either continue using your computer for downloads or directly from your phone using Preware.

In particular, check out the list of patches. They let you make the Pre your own. I love the Pre keyboard but still use the Virtual Keyboard patch for quick replies. The 3000 Autoreplace Words patch catches 99% of my typos as I type.

Don't forget Touchstone chargers. Once you get a Touchstone, you will want one for your home, car, and office. I buy almost all of my accessories at the PreCentral Accessory Store. Great prices. Fast shipping.

Bottom line: You can make your Pre look how you want it to and work how you want it to. See all of the other getting started links in my signature below.

- Craig
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    First, Welcome!

Most of your other questions are well addressed.

The Palm App Catalog is simple. If you are not intimidated by re-flashing a phone, Homebrew will seem boringly easy to you. I am the author of this article:

Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install

Once you are set up for Homebrew, you will have a choice to either continue using your computer for downloads or directly from your phone using Preware.

In particular, check out the list of patches. They let you make the Pre your own. I love the Pre keyboard but still use the Virtual Keyboard patch for quick replies. The 3000 Autoreplace Words patch catches 99% of my typos as I type.

Don't forget Touchstone chargers. Once you get a Touchstone, you will want one for your home, car, and office. I buy almost all of my accessories at the PreCentral Accessory Store. Great prices. Fast shipping.

Bottom line: You can make your Pre look how you want it to and work how you want it to. See all of the other getting started links in my signature below.

- Craig
    My hat off to you, Craig. I am tempted to use Homebrew to savor the fruit of tireless and unselfish work of so many Palm fans.
  18.    #18  
    I have received my Pre about an hour ago. Got confused when seeing German interface. Do not know how to set the language to English. Will try to change it during ROM update.

It is now charging on the mains, in preparation for its ROM upgrade to 1.3 and activation later....
  19.    #19  
    I did not succeed in using WebOS doctor 1.3.1.

The German GSM Pre has a German interface which I do not like, so I wanted to change it to English through WebOS Doctor during upgrade to 1.3.1.

When I connected Pre to my PC when prompted by WebOS Doctor 1.3.1, three choices appeared: mediasync, USB-drive, charge only, which was a surprise to me. I thought WebOS Doctor would automatcially go ahead as mentioned by Shadow-360.

So I chose "USB-drive", waited in vain for the dimmed "Next" button to shine on the WebOS Doctor. No activity seemed taking place on Pre. So I closed WebOS Doctor, unplugged Pre and tried again, this time with "charge only". No luck either. Quite frustrated.

So I decided to try the hard way, I used a third-party SIM card (Sunrise) on Pre. It was recognized and ready to work immediately. There was no prompt for setup, a surprise to me, too. So is my Pre already activated? Where to create the profile everyone is talking about?

Anyway I configured WFI. Used Update app to try to upgrade. I am waiting for the process to complete...
  20.    #20  
    Finally, the updating is completed. I managed to modify the setting so that the phone is working with my Swissom SIM card. Mission 1 accomplished.

Then, I managed to change the language to English. Mission 2 accomplished.

Next I will need to transfer my contacts to Pre.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast