Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Transfer done.

It seems the phone has already been activated by Mobile-partner.ch which sells the GSM Pre, as I did not encounter any setup prompt and upgrade to 1.3.1 went on smoothly.

I am unable to access my Palm Profile on Pre as I do not have its password. How to get access to it in this case? Help me please.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Palm have a chat room, one of their representatives may be willing to help you...
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    shameless plug: after you install preware, be sure to install the zvv fahrplan app i wrote: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/fahrplan
    i'm looking for feedback!

Markus

oh: and i welcome you as another swiss pre user
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    Palm have a chat room, one of their representatives may be willing to help you...
    Thanks, laze, for the info. I will try it tomorrow during their working hours (9-5:30) and report the findings.

Will Mobile-partner.ch be ableto see contacts on my Pre thru its Palm Profile?

It seems that, unlike Centro which can hide private contacts, Pre does not provide usch security, or am I wrong?

Thanks to Markus for sharing zvv fahrplan. Does it have an English version?
    >Thanks to Markus for sharing zvv fahrplan. Does it have an English version?

Not yet but that something i plan to do

Markus
  6.    #26  
    Hi, laze, I talked to Palm Chat you had recommended. The technician is very helpful and polite. Happy to report that I re-created a Palm Profile after partial erase of Pre data.

By the way, the technician is located in a call center in India. Impressive.
    Last edited by appia; 01/08/2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: to correct a typo *laye"...
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by appia View Post
    Hi, laze, I talked to Palm Chat you had recommended. The technician is very helpful and polite. Happy to report that I re-created a Palm Profile after partial erase of Pre data.

By the way, the technician is located in a call center in India. Impressive.
    You're very welcome dude, glad you got it sorted. Feel free to hit-up that thanks button .
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
  8.    #28  
    You're very welcome dude, glad you got it sorted. Feel free to hit-up that thanks button .
    Just did that. Many thanks.

Another query.

How to protect a contact so that it will be visible only with a password? On my Centro it is done using a group called "Private".
  9.    #29  
    I noticed all my contacts have returned to my Pre despite a partial erase that allowed me to create a new Palm Profile on the Pre. Does all my data stay with my previous Palm Profile created by the vendor before delivering it to me? A bit worrying.

Another issue: I tried without success to call my Pre while watching a Youtube video using Evdo connection.

What a nuisance if phone does not function during data connection. Can someone confirm this problem with Pre?
    Last edited by appia; 01/08/2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: To add info
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    First, Welcome!

Most of your other questions are well addressed.

The Palm App Catalog is simple. If you are not intimidated by re-flashing a phone, Homebrew will seem boringly easy to you. I am the author of this article:

Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install

Once you are set up for Homebrew, you will have a choice to either continue using your computer for downloads or directly from your phone using Preware.

In particular, check out the list of patches. They let you make the Pre your own. I love the Pre keyboard but still use the Virtual Keyboard patch for quick replies. The 3000 Autoreplace Words patch catches 99% of my typos as I type.

Don't forget Touchstone chargers. Once you get a Touchstone, you will want one for your home, car, and office. I buy almost all of my accessories at the PreCentral Accessory Store. Great prices. Fast shipping.

Bottom line: You can make your Pre look how you want it to and work how you want it to. See all of the other getting started links in my signature below.

- Craig
    Just installed Preware kit on my Pre. Impressed by the number of apps and patches available.
    Installed Battery %, Mark all read and Virtual Keyboard. Weather Now.

However, unable to activate Virtual Keyboard thru double tapping the gesture area.

Virtual keyboard appears finally but was deleted as I found it not so useful as harward keyword.
    Last edited by appia; 01/08/2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Updating
  11.    #31  
    I tried again the phone function during data use this morning.
    I called my Pre from my home telephone while doing a manual checking of POP mail account on the Pre. The Pre did not respond at all. After the checking of POP mail was completed, a notification popped up: XXXX called .

I feel a bit disappointed.
  12.    #32  
    Another issue I found was that sometimes I am not able to hang up (end a call) during a call because the Pre screen is dark or flickering. Just noticed that this is a bug already recorded by Buglist Item #22 (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...glist-pre.html).

I bought Classic in order to run some Centro apps。Happy to have the old apps, despite occasional freeze Classic.
    What a nuisance if phone does not function during data connection. Can someone confirm this problem with Pre?
    A Spint CDMA limitation. You can do simultaneous data if you use WiFi.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    A Spint CDMA limitation. You can do simultaneous data if you use WiFi.
    I am using GSM Pre on Swisscom network.
    I hope to be able to continue to use on Pre a few apps (dictionaries, CallRec etc ) and many memos that I have on Centro.

While at it, is there a WebOs mail client similar to Snapper Mail that allows receiving and sending emaisl through pop3 and smtp? Will Snapper Mail or the default mail client of PalmOS work under Classic on a Pre?
    Hi appia,

Callrec does not work with Pre - infact there is no call recording option available for the Pre currently.

As far as mail is concerned, I had a hard time setting up my company email (pop3) - I was receiving incoming mail but outgoing mail via smtp was just not working - I had to finally resort to use my gmail account for outgoing, and my pop3 account for incoming. This was on the built in email app in the Pre and I don't know how apps in classic will respond.

Also, if you want to transfer contacts and calendar, one of the best methods I have found is by using gsyncit. Its a plugin for outlook (for $15) and I sync all my outlook contacts and calendar with a (newly created) gmail account, which in turn I then sync with my Pre - works beautifully and keeps both my computer and phone up to date! I've combined this with my facebook and linkedin accounts and the result is awesome!

After Palm's announcement of video recording coming in Feb, my only issue now is the availability of a call recording app for my Pre.

Hope this helps.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    Hi appia,

Callrec does not work with Pre - infact there is no call recording option available for the Pre currently.

As far as mail is concerned, I had a hard time setting up my company email (pop3) - I was receiving incoming mail but outgoing mail via smtp was just not working - I had to finally resort to use my gmail account for outgoing, and my pop3 account for incoming. This was on the built in email app in the Pre and I don't know how apps in classic will respond.

Also, if you want to transfer contacts and calendar, one of the best methods I have found is by using gsyncit. Its a plugin for outlook (for $15) and I sync all my outlook contacts and calendar with a (newly created) gmail account, which in turn I then sync with my Pre - works beautifully and keeps both my computer and phone up to date! I've combined this with my facebook and linkedin accounts and the result is awesome!

After Palm's announcement of video recording coming in Feb, my only issue now is the availability of a call recording app for my Pre.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

The built-in mail client on Pre handles my POP3 and SMTP very well. I did not try any mail client on Classic --- no need to do that.

It would be nice if there is direct sync between Pre and Palmd Desktop. Somehow I do not like to trust all my contacts info to the cloud. It is a shame that Pre does not offer security pretection for individual private contacts (similar to Centro where a password will be required to view a contact or a memo in a Private group.)

My main issues with Pre:
    No simultanous phone and data over network,
    Incompatible memos,
    No speeddial (other than the defaul voice mailbox),
    Battery drain,
    Lack of security for contacts,

Web surfing and multimedia work like a dream on Pre.
    Hope the next ROM update will produce better results.
    Last edited by appia; 01/09/2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Corrrecting typos
  17.    #37  
    As I am not able to make sync work in Classic, I decided to manually copy memos, contacts, tasks and calendars from my Centro Palm Desktop to Classic install folder on Pre.

I have found the following files on my Centro:

CalendarDB-PDat.pdb
    MemosDB-PMem.pdb
    ContactsDB-PAdd.pdb
    ContactsDBIndex-PAdd
    TasksDB-PTod.pdb

Would be grateful if someone can tell me if the above files are the files that need to be copied to Classic? Do I miss any file there?
  18.    #38  
    I went ahead installing these files on Classic. Memos, contacts and tasks have shown up in Classic. I am esp pleased to see my memos there because they are missing on WebOS memos.

Classic is REAL sluggish when viewing contacts and calendar, though.
    I am using GSM Pre on Swisscom network.
    Then you should have simultaneous phone and data.
    GSM Pre on Swisscom right? I hope you're running 3G. Simultaneous data+voice does not work on the older GSM/Edge and also on some new 3G networks (data will stop when a voice call comes and you have to manually open the website/email etc again during the voice call and on some networks that works)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast