Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I've had my Pre since day 1 and love almost everything about it except the speed. The scrolling speed has improved with the patches but it has yet to achieve what I feel is an acceptable level. Programs still launch slowly and pretty much everything in the GUI takes a few seconds to respond.

    I recently had a chance to play around with a 3rd generation iPod Touch and as far as speed and responsiveness all I can say is WOW. First what I'm wondering is does the iPhone 3GS have the same sort of speed as the Touch? The iPhone GS, iPod Touch 3G and the Palm Pre all appear to use the same processor but the iPhone and iPod are underclocked to 600MHz and the Pre is underclocked to 500MHz. I can't imagine the 100Mhz difference is slowing it down that much. Can we expect any more noticeable improvement from Palm or have the hardware limitations basically been reached with this version of the Pre?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    I recently had a chance to play around with a 3rd generation iPod Touch and as far as speed and responsiveness all I can say is WOW...Can we expect any more noticeable improvement from Palm or have the hardware limitations basically been reached with this version of the Pre?
    Emphasis mine.

    Remember the Pre is the 1st generation device running on an OS that was released as version 1.0 on June 6 2009 and quickly updated to 1.1 within a day or so. Seven months later we're up to 1.3.5.

    Version 1.0 of iPhone OS was release on June 29 2007. Apple has nearly two years worth of development time invested in their OS in which they've had time to optimize their code, decrease response time, etc. The current iPhone OS is 3.1.2, a full two versions higher than release.

    I don't think we've reached hardware limitations with our Pre. The GPU is not used as of now. The groundwork to put it to work as just put in place with the most recent update. I'm excited to see how the device will perform once the graphics load is taken off the CPU and placed on the GPU.

    Palm will also continue to further refine their code. That alone will make webOS better all around. Patience, my friend!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick response. I didn't realize the GPU in the Pre wasn't being used at all. This is actually quite surprising and could explain the GUI performance difference. Has Palm made any statements to this effect? It would sure be disappointing to find out that they never intended the GPU to aid in GUI rendering for WebOS and that it would be too difficult to implement at this stage.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I didn't realize the GPU in the Pre wasn't being used at all. This is actually quite surprising and could explain the GUI performance difference. Has Palm made any statements to this effect? It would sure be disappointing to find out that they never intended the GPU to aid in GUI rendering for WebOS and that it would be too difficult to implement at this stage.
    I'm not sure if Palm has officially stated anything. I'm sure our dev friends would know better than I. However, it was mentioned by webOS Internals on their Twitter feed (and repeated by Derek on the blog) that two files were included with this update that lay the groundwork as I talked about above. here are the links.

    http://www.precentral.net/webos-135-...lable-download
    Twitter / WebOS Internals: Two of the 1.3.5 update pa ...

    I feel pretty safe saying Palm won't leave the GPU unused unless a very serious problem comes up with the hardware that is already in place.
  5. #5  
    the speed is bearable.
    am i happy with the speed not really but i can wait a few months till they utilize the gpu to its full capability
  6. #6  
    To be completely honest - No, not at all. not when a major competitor like the iPhone is super fast. The Pre's lag can get frustrating at times, but you learn to be a little patient. Not too many worries after all this news about GPU support for apps coming in the near future. Everything will be refined in time, major speed boosts, and waaaaaay better apps, including games like Need For Speed!! Yessss!!
  7. #7  
    Are Palm employees on this board having conversations with each other convincing us of what is to come in order to preserve their jobs? Cause this conversation up above excluding Warblad 13 seemed very contrived.

    Yes, the Palm Pre is slow, unacceptably slow, and it fluctuates which makes it even more bizarre. Some times the device works quickly, but then when you use the phone app and click on the call log and wait 3 seconds for it to pop up is just crap. When I switch to my iPod Touch the smoothness of the instant clicks, the home buttons responsiveness, the quickness of how each app opens makes me forget how slow my Pre is. I'm using my Touch more when I thought it would be replaced by my Pre.

    Again, I've been a big fan of Palm products but the Pre is just a big mess... All the homebrew patches and themes that wont uninstall correctly, can't clean erase phone because I can't loose my call log or text message log... Waiting for solution to that more than anything... I am held hostage to a hobbled phone because it has my logs... My Pre is a data kidnapper...
  8. #8  
    well my phone is alot better since this last update . But remember the iphony can get bogged down and run slow too. Its a computer just like the pre and sometimes you have to reboot and clean up stuff on them to keep the speed up. Like cleaning out email foldering especialy trash folders and run a chekup on it once in a while like with webos repair utility and also running the quick and interactive tests that the phone has . These will keep the phone in good shape .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Are Palm employees on this board having conversations with each other convincing us of what is to come in order to preserve their jobs? Cause this conversation up above excluding Warblad 13 seemed very contrived.

    Yes, the Palm Pre is slow, unacceptably slow, and it fluctuates which makes it even more bizarre. Some times the device works quickly, but then when you use the phone app and click on the call log and wait 3 seconds for it to pop up is just crap. When I switch to my iPod Touch the smoothness of the instant clicks, the home buttons responsiveness, the quickness of how each app opens makes me forget how slow my Pre is. I'm using my Touch more when I thought it would be replaced by my Pre.

    Again, I've been a big fan of Palm products but the Pre is just a big mess... All the homebrew patches and themes that wont uninstall correctly, can't clean erase phone because I can't loose my call log or text message log... Waiting for solution to that more than anything... I am held hostage to a hobbled phone because it has my logs... My Pre is a data kidnapper...
    if you talk alot or receive or make alot of phone calls or both you will have a list that's a mile long and that's why its slow. If you clean it up once in a while it won't do that . I clean mine up and phone is instant back and forth so... Have fun!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  10. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #10  
    The only cleaning up I do is delete my Web history, cookies, and cache. Can someone please explain what else you can do?
  11. #11  
    Although I just bought my Palm Pre, I think its plenty fast, I actually have one of the newer iPod Touches that I used for web browsing and email quite a bit over wifi.. I find the Palm Pre to not only load pages faster but also give me MUCH less checkerboard design's(Yes I know people are not just complaining about web browser, but the general overall speed). Even popping from app to app on my iPod, I can outperform it with my Pre, simply because I can multitask, but yes I will agree, the speed of my iPod closing and opening most apps is VERY smooth and nice.

    Overall though having using the Pre for 3 days now, I love the speed of it, and I really do not see peoples complaints, my father has an iPhone 3g(yes I know its not the S), but that thing is so tremendously SLOWER than my centro was popping from app to app(I know its not a valid comparison).. I dont understand these complaints of slowness, personally I think people have grown use to the fact that their mind perceives certain things loaded faster(which they just might have), and then when the phone hiccups and loads slower(no clue why you cant wait an extra second or two, no one I can think of is in that much of a hurry, unless you're saving a life..)they get upset that the phone is overall slower because of that one problem(or for all I know it could be multiple times it happens that make people notice it).
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if you talk alot or receive or make alot of phone calls or both you will have a list that's a mile long and that's why its slow. If you clean it up once in a while it won't do that . I clean mine up and phone is instant back and forth so... Have fun!
    Hey Shane. So how do I clean that stuff up. You know I clean up email and browser history, cookies, cache; but how do I clean up the logs (or do you just mean missed calls and call history? Just thought of that)?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Are Palm employees on this board having conversations with each other convincing us of what is to come in order to preserve their jobs? Cause this conversation up above excluding Warblad 13 seemed very contrived.
    Dear lord, you can't be serious. Did you even look at my member information? Take a look to the right. See my location? I'm not lying. Palm doesn't have any employees in Beaufort, SC. In fact there are a lot of United States Marines in Beaufort, SC. Wanna hear a shocker? I'm a Sergeant in the Marine Corps, not a Palm employee!

    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Yes, the Palm Pre is slow, unacceptably slow, and it fluctuates which makes it even more bizarre. Some times the device works quickly, but then when you use the phone app and click on the call log and wait 3 seconds for it to pop up is just crap. When I switch to my iPod Touch the smoothness of the instant clicks, the home buttons responsiveness, the quickness of how each app opens makes me forget how slow my Pre is. I'm using my Touch more when I thought it would be replaced by my Pre.
    Really, you're Pre is slow? I don't feel my Pre is slow at all. In your example you say it takes 3 seconds for your call log to display. How many weeks/months of logs do you keep in there. The more data you have to call from the device, the longer it is going to take to load. The reason your older phones didn't take long to call that info is it stopped storing the info at a set limit. The Pre doesn't.

    And you're seriously comparing the Pre to an iPod Touch in the same paragraph? Apples to oranges! One is an mp3 player with the ability to install some apps and the other is a cell phone! Now, if you said iPhone, I might be able to see a comparison. However, there isn't in this case.

    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Again, I've been a big fan of Palm products but the Pre is just a big mess... All the homebrew patches and themes that wont uninstall correctly, can't clean erase phone because I can't loose my call log or text message log... Waiting for solution to that more than anything... I am held hostage to a hobbled phone because it has my logs... My Pre is a data kidnapper...
    Which homebrew patches and/or themes are you personally have trouble getting uninstalled? If you've already posted a thread about them please post links and I'll be very happy to go take a look and see if I can help.

    Just because I'm a curious person, why can't you loose your call log or text message log?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Hey Shane. So how do I clean that stuff up. You know I clean up email and browser history, cookies, cache; but how do I clean up the logs (or do you just mean missed calls and call history? Just thought of that)?
    Shane does mean missed calls and call history. You can clear those just like text messages by swiping the history item and hitting delete or swiping another and the first swiped will insta-delete.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    The only cleaning up I do is delete my Web history, cookies, and cache. Can someone please explain what else you can do?
    You can clean up your text messages, call history/missed calls, and email as well. all of those are swipe delete items.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    Shane does mean missed calls and call history. You can clear those just like text messages by swiping the history item and hitting delete or swiping another and the first swiped will insta-delete.
    Actually, if you go into the phone menu when you are on the call history screen, there is an option to clear call log history and it wipes both history and missed calls in one fell swoop! Just found it, when I was thinking about what Shane had said.

    Thanks for confirming the info!!
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Actually, if you go into the phone menu when you are on the call history screen, there is an option to clear call log history and it wipes both history and missed calls in one fell swoop! Just found it, when I was thinking about what Shane had said.

    Thanks for confirming the info!!
    No, thank you! I never even bothered to try hitting the left menu to up there.
  18. #18  
    The speed when finding a contact, app, or googling something on the web is fast. Waiting for it to upload is slower than I like. Calendar transition from day to week or month is still slow. Its as though the calendar app is a 2 process app. First is the calendar then there are the buttons. Same thing with the music app. It would be great if it loaded at once. Sometimes animation isn't necessary or sexy. Tasks, calendar, and memos shouldn't be sexy. Only quick, no frills, and functional.
  19. #19  
    The slowest part of the Pre is the app launching in my opinion. The latest update has improved performance quite a bit within apps themselves. But some apps in my experience take a bit to launch, something like 5 seconds or more, which I hope gets address.

    I have high hopes for Palm, if they keep progressing at the speed they currently are, I can image the Pre being possibly on par or better than the iPhone 3GS performance-wise. With almost every update Palm has show that WebOS can and will be more efficient. And while they're a bit behind in performance, they are currently very ahead in competition in regard to design.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Are Palm employees on this board having conversations with each other convincing us of what is to come in order to preserve their jobs? Cause this conversation up above excluding Warblad 13 seemed very contrived.
    ...
    Maybe you've nailed it. You have an "unacceptable" phone (that you've accepted), and now you're convinced that Palm employees are trolling this website and posting information that's contrary to what you believe, therefore it must be them trying to keep their jobs.

    I don't think there's anything anyone can add...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions