Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

i wanna ask if it might be possible to patch the camera app for a selectable autofocus like the iPhone (damn phone) it has.

i hope so, or is this function assigned to the hardware?

greez
    TheRealLink
    The Pre's camera does not have an autofocus function. So the answer to your question is no.
    Actually i believe it does
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Actually, no. It's a fixed-focus camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    well that comes as a surprise to me looks like a lot of the reviews and even a few sprint reps are wrong honestly im not surprised
  6.    #6  
    so its hardware assigned, right?
    but maybe its possible to solve this problem via software?

this site saids the camera has autofocus:
    inside-handy.de/handys/palm_pre/1831_komplett.html
  7.    #7  
    i already read that the camera has autofocus
    I am pretty sure there isn't autofocus. I good explanation:

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    There is already some enhanced focusing going on through software in the form of enhanced depth of field. I suppose additional image processing could do some other form of "autofocus" magic. But there isn't any lens to move or anything like that.

Zoom could be done digitally--with 3MP, I'd happily give up some to get a tighter shot. Image processing designed to operate well with a digital zoom would help. Right now you can zoom in on a picture you've taken and take a screenshot, which is sort of a poor man's zoom, but when you get in tight you start to see the effects of the sharpening employed in the image processing, so it's not too good.

The camera has more potential than what is there now, but it's still not going to compete with anything that has better optics.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Source where you read that the camera has autofocus?

Practical application, open the app and point the camera at something far from you and then something very close to you. Now quickly point it back to something far from you. If you don't see a noticable change in focus (going from blury to in focus), then the camera does not have autofocus. Don't confuse the lighting adjust for autofocus.
    even a few sprint reps are wrong
    What a shock there...
    There are two ways to pass a hurdle: leaping over or plowing through...
    There needs to be a monster truck option.
    Quote Originally Posted by jen4muzik View Post
    What a shock there...
    like i said im not surprised
    From Palm's Pre page:

Digital camera 3-megapixel camera with LED flash and extended depth of field

Note it doesn't say autofocus.

Edit: You have to click the "Details" link to see it.
    Last edited by artitumis; 01/02/2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    The camera does not have autofocus. It is a fixed-focus camera. The lens does not have the physical capability to focus.
    I suppose it might be possible to do some sort of faux-effect in software, but the physical hardware simply does not support any non-fixed-focus modes.

I have no idea what "extended depth of field" is supposed to mean, but that would imply to me that there would be even less of a need to have autofocus, since you're trying to keep more of the scene in focus rather than less of it.
    It would be pretty damn cool if we could get the auto-focus to work
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealLink View Post
    autofocus
    No autofocus. The reviews and reps are wrong.
    No autofocus. The reviews and reps are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by zweinstein View Post
    It would be pretty damn cool if we could get the auto-focus to work
    Did you read the thread? lol It is not an autofocus camera and it never will be. The hardware isn't there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    I have no idea what "extended depth of field" is supposed to mean, but that would imply to me that there would be even less of a need to have autofocus, since you're trying to keep more of the scene in focus rather than less of it.
    You're pretty much spot on, I think. I wasn't quite sure either so I ran "extended depth of field" through Google and came up with Wikipedia's focus stacking article (from the name of a software package).

If you look at the spider on the right, the top picture has some of the outer limits of the picture out of focus while the bottom of the picture has those limits in focus. The software portion of the camera app likely brings the outer limits of the photos into focus without having to take a ton of pictures as discussed in the article.

I could be way off here as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    You're pretty much spot on, I think. I wasn't quite sure either so I ran "extended depth of field" through Google and came up with Wikipedia's focus stacking article (from the name of a software package).

If you look at the spider on the right, the top picture has some of the outer limits of the picture out of focus while the bottom of the picture has those limits in focus. The software portion of the camera app likely brings the outer limits of the photos into focus without having to take a ton of pictures as discussed in the article.

I could be way off here as well.
    what spider?
    what spider?
    From the focus stacking Wikipedia article. Focus stacking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMSD View Post
    That spider works, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast