Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'll preface this by saying I'm just a customer. No phone design experience but I know Palm employees monitor the forums. Personally how to make a hot selling phone right now is easy if you just observe the market. make it in a similar fashion to the iphone/google nexus one.

- make it a large touchscreen only. obviously this requires that palm implement their own high quality virtual keyboard. which should not be hard considering Homebrewers have already patched their own in.

- make its ultra thin. basically the same style as the iphone/google nexus one. Duh. The problem of how to make it different enough has already been solved by Palm. Just use the bottom of the phone as the gesture area. BAM.

- Hardware wise. This is a year of the 1 ghz processor. So pop one in there and give it all the usual bells and whistles of high end cellphones.

-make sure there is programing to utilize the gpu by then. Hardware accelerated graphics will shut people up and allow for better games. Appealing to the younger market.

- other useful additions other than video recording are using voice activated features. Like voice dialing, voice gps....again just looking at the competition.

not much changes would need to be made to webos itself. it could almost just be thrown on there. Making a pure touchscreen like this would add a lot of diversity to the palm webos phone line up. It also follows the almost obvious formula of how to make a touchscreen phone that has geeks drooling for months before its release. I really wish palm would pay me $1000 for helping out but thats just my dream world. I guarantee this phone would make headlines, sell better than the Pre, and it doesn't even require that much thought process to design. Anyone disagree or have something to add.
    Virtual Keyboards suck, having a real keyboard and not having a big slab for a phone is one of the main reasons I got the pre.
  3.    #3  
    Oh, the back should be made similar to the touchstone cover or some kind of rubberized metal. The front should black and glossy like the pre but the back shouldnt. Being shiny is nice and all but it shows of dirt and scratches quick. The touchstone back feels a million times better than the pre's original back and is very scratch resistant. I dont even use a case. I just put a screen protector on the front and throw it in my pocket. still looks brand new.
    yup not going to happen, they are not going keyboardless anytime soon
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Virtual Keyboards suck, having a real keyboard and not having a big slab for a phone is one of the main reasons I got the pre.
    I'm just brainstorming a phone thats very different from the Pre but still a webos phone. They cant just sell the two same phones and upgrade minor specs. Of course there has to be a direct successor to the Pre with a hardware keyboard. I'm sure you might see one this summer.

This phone I brainstormed in 10 minutes is almost completely designed off and would sell great. And its just based off common sense.
    . . . and each phone should come with it's own phone holder. And by "phone holder," I mean a pony.

;-)
    yeah, right, you mean an iclone
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post

This phone I brainstormed in 10 minutes is almost completely designed off and would sell great. And its just based off common sense.
    hahahahaha are you really claiming this as an original idea?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I love having a keyboard. The keypad short cut for restarting and getting into USB mode saved my **** when I cracked the screen.

That said Id rather they did a landscape keyboard but I love the pre the way it is.
  10.    #10  
    yeah, right, you mean an iclone
    Hey. Business is business. It would sell and we all know it. Depending on the network placing it could steal customers away from the iPhone. AT&T has ****ty plans and poor service in a lot of areas. A multicarrier release in the US would help.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    hahahahaha are you really claiming this as an original idea?
    nope. just publicly stating the obvious of what palm could easily do to churn out a phone that would sell...Google just did it.
    Hey. Business is business. It would sell and we all know it. Depending on the network placing it could steal customers away from the iPhone. AT&T has ****ty plans and poor service in a lot of areas. A multicarrier release in the US would help.
    the Droid is "selling" and it's on a superior network to AT&T and it's not putting a dent in any iPhone sales.

face it. the iPhone is more than just a device. it's an icon. a trendy symbol. the only thing that will put a dent in iPhone's sales is a new iPhone.
    nope. just publicly stating the obvious of what palm could easily do to churn out a phone that would sell...Google just did it.
    ............sales numbers on that Nexus One are through the roof...............
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Yea...Ita. I wouldn't mind having a phone that has a virtual keyboard and a real keyboard..sorta like the htc touch pro
  15.    #15  
    the Droid is "selling" and it's on a superior network to AT&T and it's not putting a dent in any iPhone sales.

face it. the iPhone is more than just a device. it's an icon. a trendy symbol. the only thing that will put a dent in iPhone's sales is a new iPhone.
    of course nothing will stop the iPhone in the near future. It is an icon but you always have the "iphone" customer thats in the market for a new phone or their first smartphone. The smartphone market is still expanding fast. This is the time to get them before the become the typical iphone customer that just keeps upgrading with every new iphone release.

Also placing it on other carriers will grab those under contract and avoid them paying extra to terminate their contract and move carriers. Its the best you can do right now.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    You're basically saying make the Pre look like the iPhone just with a different OS.
    is there a way to turn avatars off?
  18.    #18  
    ............sales numbers on that Nexus One are through the roof...............
    well duh its not out. But does it not have tech geeks drooling all over the internet? Thank you. Dont believe me...google it lol.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    You're basically saying make the Pre look like the iPhone just with a different OS.
    and different hardware/features. Its a shame that making a simply associated with the iphone. its a basic design. a phone thats just screen lol but it works and is visually attractive.

Hardware/features is the big area Palm could leap out in front of the iPhone if they so choose.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I thought I'd never say this but I kind of miss the virtual keyboard. The one on my Pre only works when the physical keyboard is open! Go figure. When I had that "other" phone, the keyboard would always pop up wherever you needed to insert text. It was just handy.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast