Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    I think they have something similar out at best buy although not as elegant.
    I don't think it is compatible with the Pre/Pixi without an adapter VIA mini usb interface. But i could be wrong link please.[/QUOTE]

yea its not made for pre and not as elegant but a similar concept to what you were saying. touchstone does it better though
    Powermat - Home and Office Charging Mat - Black - PMM-HO100
    Let me preface this post by saying that I LOVE the Pre! But some changes that I'd like to see:

1. Virtual and Physical keyboard: Yes to both
    Pre should definitely not do away with the physical keyboard! Typing mails, messages etc, without having to correct yourself often is eaaazy with the keyboard.

However, it is annoying having to open the slider everytime you wanna type just a word or two (logins, passwords etc). So an additional virtual keyboard would make life comfortable.

2. Larger screen size: This is a must.
    Browsing on the Pre is not a very comfortable experience, unless the website has its own app.
    The large screen size on the Droid makes for great browsing. Not asking for as big a screen, but Pre's is too small.

3. Some software related stuff: The OS generally needs to be a teeny bit faster. And we need a sped-up phone-app, a native QuickContacts-like app, native facebook app (with complete features), native google-search app

4. Increasing sales: Hmmm, I think the WebOS is simply beautiful. However, I feel the marketing strategy of the Pre needs to change. The Pre doesnt come off as a 'FUN' phone. Regular users like us know how awesome this phone is. But the ads of the pre dont transalate it as such. The iPhone ads, the Droid ads are fun, and kick-***. Pre needs a make-over if you will. Appeal to younger audiences as well. That may help.

These simple changes would make the Pre a dream for basic (but fanatic) users like me! Go Pre!
    Last edited by skabeer; 01/02/2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Palm might go landscape slider but i don't see em doing just a slab either. They do need a bigger screen phone factor though.

Those that don't want that, welp, you got the Pre and Pixi already..:P Noone is saying trash the Pre and Pixi and do just this new one. Obviously, they'll update those two as well.

Not sure how a slab is an iclone considering every platform will have one? One asks what would compel people to buy one besides the fact its one of the most popular form factors? WebOS.
    Palm has been making portrait qwerty phones for a hell of a long time. I don't see that changing at all.

Take the screen and internals of the Pre, and stick them onto the Pixi. Tuck a mini-SD slot someplace under the cover and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by skabeer View Post
    Let me preface this post by saying that I LOVE the Pre! But some changes that I'd like to see:

1. Virtual and Physical keyboard: Yes to both
    Pre should definitely not do away with the physical keyboard! Typing mails, messages etc, without having to correct yourself often is eaaazy with the keyboard.

However, it is annoying having to open the slider everytime you wanna type just a word or two (logins, passwords etc). So an additional virtual keyboard would make life comfortable.

2. Larger screen size: This is a must.
    Browsing on the Pre is not a very comfortable experience, unless the website has its own app.
    The large screen size on the Droid makes for great browsing. Not asking for as big a screen, but Pre's is too small.

3. Some software related stuff: The OS generally needs to be a teeny bit faster. And we need a sped-up phone-app, a native QuickContacts-like app, native facebook app (with complete features), native google-search app

4. Increasing sales: Hmmm, I think the WebOS is simply beautiful. However, I feel the marketing strategy of the Pre needs to change. The Pre doesnt come off as a 'FUN' phone. Regular users like us know how awesome this phone is. But the ads of the pre dont transalate it as such. The iPhone ads, the Droid ads are fun, and kick-***. Pre needs a make-over if you will. Appeal to younger audiences as well. That may help.

These simple changes would make the Pre a dream for basic (but fanatic) users like me! Go Pre!
    very good points. I think palm should make a landscape slider or a blakcberry style phone also but keep the look of the pre. Black, rounded and glossy.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm might go landscape slider but i don't see em doing just a slab either. They do need a bigger screen phone factor though.

Those that don't want that, welp, you got the Pre and Pixi already..:P Noone is saying trash the Pre and Pixi and do just this new one. Obviously, they'll update those two as well.

Not sure how a slab is an iclone considering every platform will have one? One asks what would compel people to buy one besides the fact its one of the most popular form factors? WebOS.
    yea it's just a slab but it's almost assumed apple owns the very idea of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Palm has been making portrait qwerty phones for a hell of a long time. I don't see that changing at all.

Take the screen and internals of the Pre, and stick them onto the Pixi. Tuck a mini-SD slot someplace under the cover and call it a day.
    palm is learning to change with the times... I hope. They don't want to nearly go bankrupt again.
  6.    #46  
    also if you go to engagdet. There is a brand new hands on with the google nexus one and one thing tey mentioned is that android still doesn't feel as polished as the webos. Palm has a great OS building up here. I think they just need to expand beyond making the same type of phone. The goal is growth and sales after all right.
    i like the pre how it is. a hardware keyboard is a necessity for me. i will never own a phone with out one.

if i did not like the pre as it is i would of purchased something else. period.

its funny how people like to get something and then complain about it, sit and think of things to change about it. women do that all the time with men, they get one hooked then want to change him. screw that.

i say if you want an iphone get one. but leave my pre alone

also they just got this phone out and you already are *****ing you want more? give them a break, they dont have this one perfected yet. palm has always kept a simple line of phones, i am sure this will not change.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    ........ women do that all the time with men, they get one hooked then want to change him. screw that.
    Sounds like you're still upset with your wife for throwing your Pre across the house, lol. Don't worry. You're not the only one in that boat.
    My wife threw my previous phone across the bedroom, and she's also been trying to change me. It started about a year after we got together, and I thought she would never ever do that.
    I always tell her; "If you loved me so much when we met, then why're you trying to make me a completely different person now?
    Like they say:
    It's cheaper to keep her, lol.

@OP:
    Sorry for going off-topic.
    i like the pre how it is. a hardware keyboard is a necessity for me. i will never own a phone with out one.

its funny how people like to get something and then complain about it, sit and think of things to change about it. women do that all the time with men, they get one hooked then want to change him. screw that.

also they just got this phone out and you already are *****ing you want more? give them a break, they dont have this one perfected yet. palm has always kept a simple line of phones, i am sure this will not change.
    If you like the Pre then what's the problem? This thread is about Palm's next phone or what some hope it is.

I say if you want a Pre, then go buy one But leave my fantasy device alone.

What Palm has always done almost led to bankruptcy. It's a new Palm.
  10.    #50  

you are very angry and completely going on about something that is not revelant lol. The Pre is already out. Do you think they are going to stick with the same design forever. I'm really lost at the logic behind your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post

@OP:
    Sorry for going off-topic.
    lol its all good.
    The next phone they should make? They should just make a better Pre. The phone is designed really well except for the few problems it has. Fix those and theres no reason to change the design of the phone. Its exactly what Apple did and it seems to work out pretty well for them.

-1GHz processor
    -Better battery
    -MUCH MUCH MUCH better designed hardware and sliding mechanism (I traded my Pre for a Pixi because of this)
    -Video Recording

If they're smart they'll take the solid base they've made with WebOS and stick with the design of the Pre. If they were to change the screen size or something like that they'd make the apps already designed useless. WebOS is progressing really well so they should just come out with the Pre 2 or the Pre 4G or whatever and keep everyone happy
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I'm just a customer. No phone design experience but I know Palm employees monitor the forums. Personally how to make a hot selling phone right now is easy if you just observe the market. make it in a similar fashion to the iphone/google nexus one.

- make it a large touchscreen only. obviously this requires that palm implement their own high quality virtual keyboard. which should not be hard considering Homebrewers have already patched their own in.

- make its ultra thin. basically the same style as the iphone/google nexus one. Duh. The problem of how to make it different enough has already been solved by Palm. Just use the bottom of the phone as the gesture area. BAM.

- Hardware wise. This is a year of the 1 ghz processor. So pop one in there and give it all the usual bells and whistles of high end cellphones.

-make sure there is programing to utilize the gpu by then. Hardware accelerated graphics will shut people up and allow for better games. Appealing to the younger market.

- other useful additions other than video recording are using voice activated features. Like voice dialing, voice gps....again just looking at the competition.

not much changes would need to be made to webos itself. it could almost just be thrown on there. Making a pure touchscreen like this would add a lot of diversity to the palm webos phone line up. It also follows the almost obvious formula of how to make a touchscreen phone that has geeks drooling for months before its release. I really wish palm would pay me $1000 for helping out but thats just my dream world. I guarantee this phone would make headlines, sell better than the Pre, and it doesn't even require that much thought process to design. Anyone disagree or have something to add.
    Palm doesn't need to do any of this. People buy what their tv tells them to buy. Palm needs an ad campaign that works and they need to saturate the airwaves with it.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra585 View Post
    The next phone they should make? They should just make a better Pre. The phone is designed really well except for the few problems it has. Fix those and theres no reason to change the design of the phone. Its exactly what Apple did and it seems to work out pretty well for them.

-1GHz processor
    -Better battery
    -MUCH MUCH MUCH better designed hardware and sliding mechanism (I traded my Pre for a Pixi because of this)
    -Video Recording

If they're smart they'll take the solid base they've made with WebOS and stick with the design of the Pre. If they were to change the screen size or something like that they'd make the apps already designed useless. WebOS is progressing really well so they should just come out with the Pre 2 or the Pre 4G or whatever and keep everyone happy
    the pixi already has a different screen size then the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    the Droid is "selling" and it's on a superior network to AT&T and it's not putting a dent in any iPhone sales.

face it. the iPhone is more than just a device. it's an icon. a trendy symbol. the only thing that will put a dent in iPhone's sales is a new iPhone.
    A virus will put a dent in iPhone sales. I have been dreaming of a virus that would just spam **** to everyone in your address book via e-mail. Nothing malicious, just embarrassing as hell.

However, I would like to see a Nexus One form factor WebOS device. Why? Because I like choices. There are a lot of people who like physical keyboards, and there are a lot of people who like virtual keyboards. Why not offer both of them an option? Plus, I will say there are times when popping open the keyboard is very annoying on the pre, like when I need to type one handed or am trying to be quiet.

**Edit: 500th Post**
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    this is how i personally want a pre 2 to be or a third device from palm to be.

Physical
    similar design to current pre just better materials and some metal involved
    3.5-3.7in oled display anything bigger is just too big
    vertical pixi keyboard with tab key and extra programable option key
    6-8 megapixel autofocus camera with supurb camera software
    front facing camera 3 megapixel
    separate yourself from the pack add an analog joystick like the psp. Some where in the head phone area or where our current button is. This will make playing games far better and can add to great functionality in web browsing. i think its better than a scroll ball or just having a button that is almost useless
    camera button
    better power button
    screen that does not get so greasy

Internals
    tegra 2 or Omap 4 1.2-1.5ghz with cpu scaling
    over 500 mb of ram
    16-32gb internal storage and sd slot
    1500 mah battery
    fm receiver
    better gpu
    international phone like the tour
    wifi n/b/g
    4g,3g,2g capable

webos
    add a optional home screen
    try to get skype on it
    web desktop software
    webgl,opengl
    virtual keyboard, virtual keypad for texting also
    overall performance boost
    more 3d games
    would be nice if there was a partnership with nintendo, other consoles and top of the line game developers to make gaming a real good experience. hence the analog joystick. separate game app catalogue so that games are even easier to find.
    better mp3 player
    support all the formats you can
    incorporate available patches or design the desktop software to back up pre add apps add music customize pre with official themes, patches
    flash
    hd video recording

ill add more once i think about it some more
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If you like the Pre then what's the problem? This thread is about Palm's next phone or what some hope it is.

I say if you want a Pre, then go buy one But leave my fantasy device alone.

What Palm has always done almost led to bankruptcy. It's a new Palm.
    i dont think you could have said it any better my friend.

Palm also knew this thats why they scrapped the old os and created a totally new one. I also believe strongly that palm needs to incorporate new ideas or they will be in the same situation. And this time it may just be too late to pull themselves out. Face it ppl want trendy gadgets and currently large touchscreen phones are trendy. Also like someone else said they cant keep the same design forever.

if you want to make sales and grow you need to make an item that people want to buy. making something that only you like (palm sticking with thier certain ways) is not everyones cup of tea. I say make a slab with or without a landscape kb and maybe get a revision of the pre if people like that design better. but i am certain if palm introduces a phone, ( ohh yes im gunna say) like the iphone it will turn a lot of heads since webos is such a great operating system
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    oh my gosh that comment was so hilarious...

'i have been dreaming of a virus... nothing malicious'... (rolling on the floor here)

do you even know the definition of malicious... malice... how about spite?

i'll give you definition of spite... "petty ill will or hatred with the disposition to irritate, annoy, or thwart."

nice way to make your 500th post with a little show of spite/hate. dude, it's only a phone, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    A virus will put a dent in iPhone sales. I have been dreaming of a virus that would just spam **** to everyone in your address book via e-mail. Nothing malicious, just embarrassing as hell.

well I would like to see a droid form factor or the windows mobile HD2 and some amazing insides
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post

However, I would like to see a Nexus One form factor WebOS device. Why? Because I like choices. There are a lot of people who like physical keyboards, and there are a lot of people who like virtual keyboards. Why not offer both of them an option? Plus, I will say there are times when popping open the keyboard is very annoying on the pre, like when I need to type one handed or am trying to be quiet.

Congrats on 500, Master!
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    after scrolling through the first page... whatever. Prefanatic was just saying... respect that.

i thing having a slightly bigger Pre with the same shape/style would be cool. that way the "Preishness" is still there.

have an option for virtual keyboard, yes. then have a slide out keyboard similar to the Droid. why? it feels sturdy.

keep gestures. love them. need them.

keep the shiny, clean look.

bump up the processor. not just a 1ghz, but whatever the top of line processor is gonna be.

have a factory extended life battery available. i hate third party.

better quality speakers.

i'll think of more.
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast