Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54
  1. #21  
    Thanks a lot. Sorry about that, I'll try my best to get the update installed properly.
  2. #22  
    Excellent work. I was beginning to lose faith and even switched to KPN NL (but takes a month). Donation on its way (nlspek04).

    I notice that when switching to 3G network the reception drops 2 bars. Forcing to 2G gets the quality back and probably has a hefty impact on battery use. Is this normal behaviour?
  3. #23  
    Would be nice to know if the patch works for KPN as well with the vodafone info. Strange question? By accident I left the patch active while using a tmobile sim. It worked!

    By with the vodafone info I mean just the patch for options-gsm, not the DB settings, they have to be provider specific. So in this testcase one ends up with different credential info in the manual settings (or DB) and the option file!

    If it would work, I could make a webOS patch of it. That is easier to install and has a broader audience.

    btw The strength of a UMTS and GPRS signals vary, depending on your location. That's normal. Which one is the strongest depends on your distance to the provider's transmitter. A drop of 2 bars from 5? You are lucky! Most times I have only 1 bar with 3G.
  4. #24  
    It will take a few weeks before my account is switched to KPN, but I will be glad to test it then...

    Btw, I changed the db as well as the prefs file. If I switch to auto settings, the data connection stays up. However, if I then switch data off, the 3G doesn't come back if I switch data on again. I have to use manual settings for that to work. Also it now no longer returns an error message if manual settings are applied.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    Would be nice to know if the patch works for KPN as well with the vodafone info. Strange question? By accident I left the patch active while using a tmobile sim. It worked!

    By with the vodafone info I mean just the patch for options-gsm, not the DB settings, they have to be provider specific. So in this testcase one ends up with different credential info in the manual settings (or DB) and the option file!

    If it would work, I could make a webOS patch of it. That is easier to install and has a broader audience.

    A bit sooner than expected; I tested the KPN SIM and 3G works - no settings changed.


    Btw, Manual Settings switch automatically switched to off using the KPN SIM (this preference seems linked to the network used).
  6. amjz's Avatar
    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #26  
    Still no working for me. im on Orange EDGE/GPRS !!!
    I edidted the file options-gsm and added username as net and password as net at the end of the file ...

    this is my German Unlocked Palm Pre options-gsm file after editing it:
    # /etc/ppp/options-gsm
    #

    # Run the executable or shell command specified after pppd has
    # terminated the link. This script could, for example, issue commands
    # to the modem to cause it to hang up if hardware modem control signals
    # were not available.
    connect /etc/chatscripts/connect.chat
    #disconnect "chat -- \d+++\d\c OK ath0 OK"

    # Specifies that pppd should use a UUCP-style lock on the serial device
    # to ensure exclusive access to the device.
    lock

    # Don't fork to become a background process (otherwise pppd will do so
    # if a serial device is specified).
    #-detach

    # Increase debugging level (same as -d). If this option is given, pppd
    # will log the contents of all control packets sent or received in a
    # readable form. The packets are logged through syslog with facility
    # daemon and level debug. This information can be directed to a file by
    # setting up /etc/syslog.conf appropriately (see syslog.conf(5)). (If
    # pppd is compiled with extra debugging enabled, it will log messages
    # using facility local2 instead of daemon).
    debug

    # ppp plugin
    plugin /usr/lib/libPmWanPppPlugin.so

    # route
    nodefaultroute

    # dns server(s)
    usepeerdns

    # delay between CHAT completion and the first LCP packet sending
    connect-delay 10

    # dispose connect logs to /etc/ppp/connect-errors
    logfile /dev/null

    # give more time for ipcp setup (UMTS only)
    ipcp-max-configure 20

    # #noccp user "net"
    password "net" ---<End of File>---
    Do i miss somthing?

    by the way my network APN and MMS settings are correct in CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 and no need to edit them.

    whats the problem in my case?!!!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    Still no working for me. im on Orange EDGE/GPRS !!!
    I edidted the file options-gsm and added username as net and password as net at the end of the file ...

    this is my German Unlocked Palm Pre options-gsm file after editing it:


    Do i miss somthing?

    by the way my network APN and MMS settings are correct in CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 and no need to edit them.

    whats the problem in my case?!!!
    I hope you have a new line character (not a windows enter) in the following lines:
    # #noccp user "net"
    password "net" ---<End of File>---

    so it should read
    # #noccp
    user "net"
    password "net"
    ---<End of File>---

    If you did have those, try the short version
    Please note the differences:
    1. just add the password and user lines, no other additions
    2. quotes around the user & passw values ( I did not have those in the long version)

    Could you report wichone works?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.vd.spek View Post
    A bit sooner than expected; I tested the KPN SIM and 3G works - no settings changed.


    Btw, Manual Settings switch automatically switched to off using the KPN SIM (this preference seems linked to the network used).
    Just to be absolutely clear: you did not delete the working patched version of PPP options, and KPN thus worked with the vodafone PPP settings?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    Just to be absolutely clear: you did not delete the working patched version of PPP options, and KPN thus worked with the vodafone PPP settings?
    Yes, I can now switch between my Vodafone SIM and my KPN SIM without touching settings to activate 3G, using the Vodafone PPP settings.
  10. phil71's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #30  
    As for me (Orange Switzerland), I updated the file /etc/ppp/options-gsm with two new lines (at the end):

    user ""
    password ""

    ... and now it's working again

    Thank you Dick99999 and xioq
  11. amjz's Avatar
    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    I hope you have a new line character (not a windows enter) in the following lines:
    # #noccp user "net"
    password "net" ---<End of File>---

    so it should read
    # #noccp
    user "net"
    password "net"
    ---<End of File>---

    If you did have those, try the short version
    Please note the differences:
    1. just add the password and user lines, no other additions
    2. quotes around the user & passw values ( I did not have those in the long version)

    Could you report wichone works?
    I did every single word you said, and tried every option possible, even that i flashed my German Pre with Bell 1.3.5.1 Firmware, and with no luck!!!

    Other SIM's for another networks working with no editing, my Orange SIM works well on other Phones like Centro and Nokia, but not working on Pre with or without editing ...

    I'll try to Visit Orange Shop to replace my SIM with new one and i hope this help, this is the last possible solution remains for me
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    I did every single word you said, and tried every option possible, even that i flashed my German Pre with Bell 1.3.5.1 Firmware, and with no luck!!!

    Other SIM's for another networks working with no editing, my Orange SIM works well on other Phones like Centro and Nokia, but not working on Pre with or without editing ...

    I'll try to Visit Orange Shop to replace my SIM with new one and i hope this help, this is the last possible solution remains for me
    That's sad and a challenge it seems. There is not much written about the Bell firmware on a German Pre. Most use the Sprint version. That's what I use. Don't know though, whether that makes a difference.
    see Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

    Is there anything interesting in the log file in /var/log/messages ? (or ppp log if you use the 'long patch'
  13. #33  
    Sorry for asking the question here, but I've got a weirder Problem.

    When I start the Pre, 3G/GPRS work without problems. I entered event.vodafone.de as APN as I just want to use Web Session from time to time.
    Now I disable "Data Usage" in the Phone settings, enable Wifi, make something over WiFi, disable WiFi again, reenable "Data Usage" and Boom, nothing works. pppd is started, the logs look fine, but that thing does not receive anything via ppp0, the counter stays at 62bytes, whereas the send counter continually grows ( from the send requests, everything measured with ifconfig ).

    Please, ideas anyone? I really don't get it.
  14. #34  
    So after the latest GSM update I can confirm that the Dutch Vodafone APN bug is still there!


    Thank god that the "options-gsm" hack still works
  15. #35  
    hi all ,

    after upgrading to 1.3.5.2, both my 3g and mms are not working.

    will this fix help in making my mms work again , is it related to the same issue?

    i'm in UAE Dubai using Etisalat GSM card.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by p25o1 View Post
    hi all ,

    after upgrading to 1.3.5.2, both my 3g and mms are not working.

    will this fix help in making my mms work again , is it related to the same issue?

    i'm in UAE Dubai using Etisalat GSM card.
    Honestly, just try it. We are still uncertain what's causing these problems in this thread, we just found a fix. The same fix might help you, but we can't tell you with any certainty. So, just try it.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
  17. #37  
    hi Xioq,

    i just tried it and it didn't work.

    there is a strange behavior.
    when i have the setting on manual apn, it works but just to receive 1 or 2 messages, then it stops working again.!?

    strange but i'm trying to try different settings, but the same setting worked when i had 1.3.1 so i'm guessing its an issue with the update.

    anyone else with the same issue?
  18. #38  
    I apologize for mine ignorance, but I can't connect my Pre to a computer... Is there manual way to change APN settings? I'm from Serbia, using mts(telekom) postpaid number I think both 3G and Edge. Thanks in advance.
  19. #39  
    What does one do if the Carrier (in this case FIDO in Canada) does not exist in these CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 file?

    Also is anyone here using RebelSIM ever experienced the phone showing "R" roaming mode which was then corrected once the carrier settings were adjusted (because you could not manually adjust the APN settings)?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by cikasrba View Post
    I apologize for mine ignorance, but I can't connect my Pre to a computer... Is there manual way to change APN settings? I'm from Serbia, using mts(telekom) postpaid number I think both 3G and Edge. Thanks in advance.
    From webOS 1.3.1 onwards, there is a manual setting for the APN and MMS under the phone preferences.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions