1.    #1  
    I am anxiously waiting for my Verizon contract to be up in the summer so I can switch to a Pre. I am now using a Centro with no data plan. Couple questions... I am a teacher and live by my Easy Gradebook on my Centro. I doubt this will work on the Pre and dont want to get Classic. Will I still be able to use my Centro as a Gradebook tool even though it is a 'dead' phone after I switch to the Pre? Another ?... If I buy my Pre from a third-party, will I still be able to get my teacher discount or do I have to sign my contract through a Sprint store? Thanks for the help and LOVE Precentral!!! Totally psyched to get my Pre!!!
    What? With "V" and don't want the Droid? Well I be, a real person. I have an offline Treo 700 and I can still use the programs on it. I can't speak for Easy Gradebook but I would say that if it does not need to connect online and you keep it charge it may work just fine. As far as the teacher discount. That is in with the plan when you sign up. But I am confused. Why would you just not purchase it with the contract? If you purchase it from a third party and can take the phone to a sprint store, have it hooked up with your number and make sure it works without a problem then and only then I would pay them. There are times when the phone maybe locked out (sort of speak) where it is listed as lost, stolen or still tied to someone elses contract. This might not be the situation in your case but if any chance, be careful.
    Welcome to PreCentral
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Have the Centro, too, and waiting to upgrade myself.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Centro$ $will$ $just$ $work$ $as$ $a$ $PDA$ $when$ $not$ $activated$. $So$ $that$ $means$ $all$ $the$ $functions$, $from$ $calendar$ $to$ $calculator$ $to$ $your$ $easy$ $gradebook$ $should$ $work$ $just$ $fine$ - $there$ $will$ $just$ $not$ $be$ $a$ $wireless$ $signal$.

Perfect example - when in airplane mode (wireless turned off) I've used my Centro to play games, fill my calendar and write memos.

HTH.
  4.    #4  
    by third party I meant a Best Buy or a Radio Shack, not like a person on Ebay, or something like that. Sorry, I should have clarified!! Can I still get the discount if I get a contract through, lets say,, Best Buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by teach1love View Post
    by third party I meant a Best Buy or a Radio Shack, not like a person on Ebay, or something like that. Sorry, I should have clarified!! Can I still get the discount if I get a contract through, lets say,, Best Buy?
    I would not see way not.
    But - Maybe one of our Sprint employee/Precentral members could PLEASE chime in on this.
    why not just stay with Verizon?

for the sake of discussion, if your contract end date is June 1, you will be able to get discount pricing in March.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Don't they have a palmOS emulator for WebOS? That would allow you to run your app on the pre. I don't really know much about it perhaps someone who knows can comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by teach1love View Post
    Can I still get the discount if I get a contract through, lets say,, Best Buy?
    yes