Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone seen Dan Dilger's article, " The Palm Pre/iPhone Multitasking Myth
    July 28th, 2009" The Palm Pre/iPhone Multitasking Myth — RoughlyDrafted Magazine ?

It is decidedly Apple and iPhone slanted, but it (and the links to other articles he's written) does raise some interesting questions about the Pre, the future of the iPhone, and, if true, it does call into question, the future of CDMA and our previously understood perspective that CDMA is the superior, more data-centric platform.

It also points out an inherent flaw in the Pre that I can't believe I missed. You can't actually make a call and use data functions unless you fire up the WiFi. You can't be on a call and look something up on the web. You can't be on a call and have your GPS continue to run (it requires a data connection to function). Sorry if I'm really late in the game, but that's a pretty big deal. iPhone could do it from the beginning. Android can do it. It really does make the Pre seem rather rushed and cobbled together.

Anyway, for the length of the article and all the related links within, I could go on writing. But, I'll keep my comments limited and put this before the rest of you.

Thoughts? Anything tangible to seriously refute what has been said?
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    It also points out an inherent flaw in the Pre that I can't believe I missed. You can't actually make a call and use data functions unless you fire up the WiFi. You can't be on a call and look something up on the web. You can't be on a call and have your GPS continue to run (it requires a data connection to function). Sorry if I'm really late in the game, but that's a pretty big deal. iPhone could do it from the beginning. Android can do it. It really does make the Pre seem rather rushed and cobbled together.

It's the difference in the 2 services provided and not a fault of the phone. So that comparison is like apples to oranges. The phone is fully able to do that but the system it runs on is not.
    It must be a really important feature if you never even missed it until you read you did not have it. LOL

And BTW, its not a flaw of the Pre because UK & Germany Pre owners can make phone call and use data at the same time.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Using the web while being on a call has to do with the type of network not the phone. GSM networks can do that while CDMA networks cannot. (unless on wi-fi). AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. You will have that problem (if you in fact consider it a problem) on all phones on Verizon or Sprint. It's not anything to do with the Pre. The Droid and any other CDMA phone will be the same way. It's normal to me because all I ever had was sprint or verizon. When someone first showed me you can use data while on a call without wifi on AT&T I couldn't believe it.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    voice and data is not a pre flaw, it's a cdma flaw. there's a gsm pre now. cdma androids can't do it either.

author lives in san fran anyway, so it's not like he can even make a call with the iphone, let alone call and data.

also, article is from back in july and full of fan boys who take this way too seriously.
    The multitasking has to do with running multiple apps and other programs, not the phone and data, no CDMA phone can do that, if the iPhone was on a CDMA network, it wouldn't be able to do phone and data at the same time either. Fail-tastic!
    I remember reading this a while ago.. Those were the good old days when modding a Pre or installing patches involved using Putty to access the root directory and typing in command lines or using Quilt. Lol. It was some fun stuff lol
    Written by an Apple ******.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    There is a new CDMA spec called SVDO that will allow simultaneous voice and data over existing networks. It also quadruples the voice capacity of existing hardware.

See: CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

We need to pressure sprint to adopt this protocol.
    Funny thing they usually forget to mention when they use this argument - it only works when you're in 3G (UMTS/HSDPA) coverage... if you're in 2G (GSM/EDGE), fugedaboutit. And I think we all know by now what that AT&T 3G coverage map looks like.

Thoughts? Anything tangible to seriously refute what has been said?
    The fact that the pre has been out for over 6 months now, and this article is about 5 months old but you're just now noticing all of this is a pretty good indication of how "serious" this flaw really is.

Would it sometimes be useful to have internet access while on a call? Sure. How many people are going to actually need that feature often enough that the lack of it is a problem (or even noticeable)? Very few.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    i think those who try and surf while calling are foolish. what would you hope to accomplish? the fact that i can browse my email / calendar / or other apps while on a call is much more valuable to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by d1sq0 View Post
    i think those who try and surf while calling are foolish. what would you hope to accomplish? the fact that i can browse my email / calendar / or other apps while on a call is much more valuable to me.
    There are times I need it especially when disputing a charge on my credit card or banking statement. That way the C/S rep and myself look at the same info. However if I am doing that then I need a desk with a piece of paper so I can get the C/S rep name and ID Number. Note the date and time. Write down items they relay to me.
    Interesting article but engages in some pretty selective observations. I'm old enough to remember that Jobs didn't "leave" apple over creative differences. He was forced out because he refused to take the company in directions the rest of the industry was going.

I do agree with other posts that the inability to talk and surf over CDMA is a limitation of the carrier not the phone but I suspect this is the reason that CDMA seems so much faster for data than GSM. I've had phones from Verizon, AT&T and Sprint and I have to say the data on sprint is much more responsive.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    iPhone could do it from the beginning. Android can do it. It really does make the Pre seem rather rushed and cobbled together.
    False, false, and false.

The original iPhone lacked 3G which means that it could not do data and voice simultaneously.

"Android can do it" is frankly an ignorant statement because Android is an operating system... yes, technically "Android" can do it, but only if the underlying network technology (UMTS/HSPA) supports it. CDMA Android handsets cannot do it.

As for the Pre being rushed and cobbled together... what does this have to do with that? There is no production CDMA phone on the planet that can do this. So why single out the Pre? GSM Pre's are more than capable of doing this.

Please take five minutes to understand what's going on before you start spouting garbage in public.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnmi View Post
    I do agree with other posts that the inability to talk and surf over CDMA is a limitation of the carrier not the phone but I suspect this is the reason that CDMA seems so much faster for data than GSM. I've had phones from Verizon, AT&T and Sprint and I have to say the data on sprint is much more responsive.
    Exactly! The fact is, GSM does not actually support true voice and data at the same time. They just use a trick that routes voice over the data connection. So anytime a 3G phone is in a 3G service area, it is using data for phone calls. We can already see how much strain that is putting on the networks as AT&T, and now O2 in England, are having severe problems with network strain particularly due to the iPhone.

So to all you haters, go ahead and keep touting this "feature" that cripples the network just so a small percentage of users can check their work email while talking to 1-900-DIRTY-HO
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    I've had my pre a little over a month now and see nothing but positives. All my friends have iPhones and they've all wanted me to switch and I'm glad I didn't. I tell my iPhriends about all the cool stuff my phone can do and they get jealous. The patches alone are worth it. All the things to us that seem so small are either things they can't do or haven't figured out how to do. The SMS Tone Per Contact alone is making them jealous! As far as being able to talk and surf, the wifi feature is enough for me. I, actually, enjoy much more the ability to talk and text as I can multitask pretty well. And as for all those ringing the death bell for pre I, for one, will go down with the ship. The pre is smaller, lighter, and way more fun than the iPhone so I know where I'm staying...
    There are two ways to pass a hurdle: leaping over or plowing through...
    There needs to be a monster truck option.
    did you guys look at any of his other articles? it's amazing that anyone could consider this author's writing to be anything other than an apple commercial. i hope he gets paid by them, or that apple hires him on for PRPRPR $soon$, $because$ $he$ $is$ $really$ $working$ $hard$ $for$ $them$! $i$ $think$ $i$ $now$ $have$ $a$ $clear$ $understanding$ $of$ $what$ $a$ &$quot$;$nut$-$hugger$&$quot$; $truly$ $is$.
    roughlydrafted is a pathetic apple ****** site, nobody other than apple fans should even read those crap by Dan. He will never has one single good word for any non-apple products.
  19. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I can only speak from my experiences, but:

I've never attempted to use voice and data at the same time. And I've only became aware that I couldn't do this right now.

Within days of getting my iPod touch, I became very frustrated that I'd have to exit out of my MSN app to do anything else on my touch. It's nice that you can keep your music on while playing some games, however, that soon became annoying as there was no way to change what song was playing.

It all depends on what you want as a user, and the Pre's multi-tasking is what I want.
    The linked article seems to focus primarily on the simultaneous voice/data feature possible on GSM and nothing else. A weak argument to say the least, and the only argument AT&T seems to have in it's Luke Wilson commercials. How about voice quality, true multitasking running more than just two apps at once, etc etc... Garbage.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast