Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
  1. #21  
    You can do everything on your phone simultaneously if you're on WiFi.

    Any other questions?
  2. #22  
    Personally, I find it hilarious that this fatal flaw of the Pre/CDMA networks is something that usually has to be pointed out by someone who dislikes the Pre/CDMA networks.

    I found out back in 2008, completely on accident, that GSM enabled phones could perform this function when I was speaking to a friend who was surfing the Web as we spoke. At first, I was a bit jealous. And then her signal would die roughly every 10 minutes, which made this "advanced feature" pretty useless.

    With the massive availability of wifi networks, the Pre is capable of doing the same thing as well. And guess what? It may be nifty to do in a pinch, but it's not a life saver, and I could continue to live a happy life even without it.

    And remember kids, always take the words of a ****** (myself included) with at least a grain of salt for taste and tolerance.
  3. #23  
    an iclone homie.
  4. #24  
    I think this truly is a part of multitasking, to be on a call and do what ever you wanted. I've had my Pre for 3 months now. Never read the article until today. I didn't realize it until I tried it. It is kinda a downer for me but I would've never known this unless I absolutely needed it. Would I have purchased the Pre had I done better research?... I think the iphone set the standard and is a great smartphone but to be stuck for 2yrs w/ att nonsense. I love my Pre and every thing that comes w/ it(Precentral,developers,community).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Written by an Apple ******.
    +1
  6.    #26  
    First, let me say I always find it rewarding when I can bring about such discourse.

    Second, if I remember correctly, is did mention that it's the limitation of the CDMA network that simuktaneous voice and data are not possible. . But, by proxy, the Pre on Sprint is incapable.

    Third, for those who focused on the age of the article, and that I'm just figuring this out now... Actually, I've known for some time that I could never seem to get voice and data to work together. When I need to talk on the phone while using my GPS, I I figured out that I couldn't. Same with looking something up for someone while on the phone with them. But, I always attributed this to glitchiness of a first run device.

    Fourth, In speaking to the author of this response... Right or wrong, what I have always found facinating about user groups, is peoples willingness to address total strangers so bluntly and rudely, with name calling and deliberately prevocative language, while hiding behind the anonymity of a user group. This is not the way civilized people would address perfect strangers in a face-to-face discussion, and as we have seen from the relatively recent "town hall" meetings that have been in the news, it can lead to less than civilized responses. If you wish to correct me sir (or madame), I will thank you to do so in a more polite fashion, as if we were face-to-face. To call someone ignorant is deliberately inciteful and insulting, no matter how you preface it.

    I thank the group for it's indulgence and will continue, I hope, to enjoy reading your responses.

    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    False, false, and false.

    The original iPhone lacked 3G which means that it could not do data and voice simultaneously.

    "Android can do it" is frankly an ignorant statement because Android is an operating system... yes, technically "Android" can do it, but only if the underlying network technology (UMTS/HSPA) supports it. CDMA Android handsets cannot do it.

    As for the Pre being rushed and cobbled together... what does this have to do with that? There is no production CDMA phone on the planet that can do this. So why single out the Pre? GSM Pre's are more than capable of doing this.

    Please take five minutes to understand what's going on before you start spouting garbage in public.
  7.    #27  
    Please excuse my spelling, wrote this from my Pre.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    First, let me say I always find it rewarding when I can bring about such discourse.

    So in other words you were trolling for responses by starting a controversial thread to see if users would be rude to each other while hiding behind their keyboards for your own personal enjoyment & fascination. That is the defintion of a Troll.

    Congratulations its worked
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    The linked article seems to focus primarily on the simultaneous voice/data feature possible on GSM and nothing else. A weak argument to say the least, and the only argument AT&T seems to have in it's Luke Wilson commercials. How about voice quality, true multitasking running more than just two apps at once, etc etc... Garbage.
    exactly, RoughlyDraft is famous for unfair, unashamed apple fanboyism. Dan pretty much bash anything thats not made by apple.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    There is a new CDMA spec called SVDO that will allow simultaneous voice and data over existing networks. It also quadruples the voice capacity of existing hardware.

    See: CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

    We need to pressure sprint to adopt this protocol.
    EVDV was supposed to allow this as well, and it'd have been an easier migration. Sprint just decided to skip that and move on to WiMax, which we'll see how that turns out.
  11.    #31  
    Please put your red face away. You are looking for a problem where there isn't one. Any subject that brings about interesting and healthy discourse is a good one. Those that have responded volitily have done so because they want to be angry about something. I have posted many threads where I was seeking information or making peole aware of something I thought might be important, and received 0 responses. To hear from people with insight or opinions on this one, is a good thing. Those that have chosen to nitpick on semantics or be insulting need lessons in anger management and civility. QUOTE=rc46;2123987]So in other words you were trolling for responses by starting a controversial thread to see if users would be rude to each other while hiding behind their keyboards for your own personal enjoyment & fascination. That is the defintion of a Troll.

    Congratulations its worked [/QUOTE]
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Please put your red face away. You are looking for a problem where there isn't one.
    I'm not saying there is any problem nor is my face red.

    I was just pointing out to you that your behavior is considered trolling. If thats how you get your kicks, then by all means, have at it. You are far from alone.

    I get almost as much amusement out of watching trolls do their thing as you do by trolling.
    Last edited by rc46; 01/02/2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Right or wrong, what I have always found facinating about user groups, is peoples willingness to address total strangers so bluntly and rudely, with name calling and deliberately prevocative language, while hiding behind the anonymity of a user group. This is not the way civilized people would address perfect strangers in a face-to-face discussion, and as we have seen from the relatively recent "town hall" meetings that have been in the news, it can lead to less than civilized responses. If you wish to correct me sir (or madame), I will thank you to do so in a more polite fashion, as if we were face-to-face. To call someone ignorant is deliberately inciteful and insulting, no matter how you preface it.
    WELCOME TO THE INTERNET! Please enjoy your stay. Oh, and avoid 4chan. The average internet forum is Disneyland compared to there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    The linked article seems to focus primarily on the simultaneous voice/data feature possible on GSM and nothing else. A weak argument to say the least, and the only argument AT&T seems to have in it's Luke Wilson commercials. How about voice quality, true multitasking running more than just two apps at once, etc etc... Garbage.
    my biggest problem with the post is that it makes the iphones lack of multitasking seem like a plus in typical apple fashion
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    ...
    It also points out an inherent flaw in the Pre that I can't believe I missed. You can't actually make a call and use data functions unless you fire up the WiFi. You can't be on a call and look something up on the web. You can't be on a call and have your GPS continue to run (it requires a data connection to function). Sorry if I'm really late in the game, but that's a pretty big deal. iPhone could do it from the beginning. Android can do it. It really does make the Pre seem rather rushed and cobbled together.
    ...
    That has nothing to do with the Pre being "rather rushed and cobbled together". CDMA uses the same signal for both data and voice, GSM does not. It's not a design flaw in the Pre, it's a limitation (and a strength, depending on viewpoint) for the type of radio.
  16. #36  
    As a former iPhone user, I can tell you confidently that the one (and imho, only) area where the iPhone truly beats the Pre is in the app store. Yes, a huge portion of iPhone apps are utter trash "fart apps" and what not, but there are also quite a few tremendously useful ones as well. Disappointed with the iPhone's performance I later switched to a Nokia E71 and then the Pre. Looking back on it, the iPhone is more of a toy than truly a tool for getting things done. As far as the argument for the Pre being "rushed out" and "cobbled together," I would point out that the first iPhone didn't even support 3G, literally only weeks ago did the iPhone start supporting MMS, nor did the initial models support video recording. The iPhone also launched with the same silly "web app only" development kit, only later to be replaced with a full SDK. So really, looking at it, the iPhone was just as incomplete as the Pre when it launched, perhaps moreso as it didn't support 3G or MMS out of the gate as the Pre does). Not to mention it's silly to compare a device like the iPhone, which is currently on it's third or fourth hardware revision and OS updates and has been out for a couple years, to the newcomer Pre.
  17.    #37  
    I was actually talking about your emoticon, which was flashing red. I really wasn't trolling. I found the article, considered it interesting, and didn't know about that flaw with CDMA (but it explains some critical moments when I thought my phone was crapping out on me).

    I put it out there because I had never seen the article, thought it made some interesting but biased statements and wondered what the reaction/perspective lf the forum would be.

    For instance, I have an infrequent need for voice and data, but when I DO need it, it's important, like getting info for someone or needing to talk while using my GPS (at the holidays, this has been frequent).

    Is it a deal breaker? No. Is it fuel for the Palm haters, maybe. Is it a true flaw in CDMA? I think so. At least disassociate the GPS radio from the data requirement so you can do both.

    That's pretty much it.

    Thanks for clarifying by the way.

    QUOTE=rc46;2124027]I'm not saying there is any problem nor is my face red.

    I was just pointing out to you that your behavior is considered trolling. If thats how you get your kicks, then by all means, have at it. You are far from alone.

    I get almost as much amusement out of watching trolls do their thing as you do by trolling.[/QUOTE]
  18. #38  
    just had to post (from my pre), to the OP, yes you can use gps while on the phone. The sprint nav does use data, but only to capture the route, once enroute the software depends on the stored data and the gps sat. If your route were to change or some other features were needed, then yes you would need data and have to end your call. This has been a discussed issue with the sprint nav app and once again is actually specific to the sprint app because the app does not store maps, it has to get maps and poi from the network (fine for me since it is a free and very functional app). So a paid app would be able to fix the gps "issue" when on a call or out of service area. With the access we have s

    BTW for comparison, my iphone buddy is jealous of our built in sprint nav amd said that would be a reason for him to consider the pre (he is admitadly an apple guy, but has found a few things he likes on the pre).
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Second, if I remember correctly, is did mention that it's the limitation of the CDMA network that simuktaneous voice and data are not possible. . But, by proxy, the Pre on Sprint is incapable.
    "an inherent flaw in the Pre" does not convey the fact that the network is at fault. Saying that it is an inherent flaw in a device, and not naming any other devices, certainly make it sound like you are talking about the phone itself. The Pre is available in both CDMA and GSM forms, and the GSM model is more than capable simultaneous voice and data. So calling it "an inherent flaw in the Pre" is incorrect any way you slice it.

    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Fourth, In speaking to the author of this response... Right or wrong, what I have always found facinating about user groups, is peoples willingness to address total strangers so bluntly and rudely, with name calling and deliberately prevocative language, while hiding behind the anonymity of a user group. This is not the way civilized people would address perfect strangers in a face-to-face discussion, and as we have seen from the relatively recent "town hall" meetings that have been in the news, it can lead to less than civilized responses. If you wish to correct me sir (or madame), I will thank you to do so in a more polite fashion, as if we were face-to-face. To call someone ignorant is deliberately inciteful and insulting, no matter how you preface it.
    I'm not going to apologize for calling your statement ignorant. "Ignorant" is not an insult. Dictionary.com:

    Quote Originally Posted by ignorant (n)
    lacking in knowledge or training
    Saying that "Android can do it." is an ignorant statement. At best it shows ignorance of the fact that webOS supports simulatenous voice and data. At worst it shows ignorance of the role of network technology in this situation.

    If you go back and read my post, I think you'll find that I never called you a name, and I still haven't.

    Since you can't differentiate a critique of your argument from an insult, you obviously value emotion over facts, and as such I have no further interest in debating with you.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    "an inherent flaw in the Pre" does not convey the fact that the network is at fault. Saying that it is an inherent flaw in a device, and not naming any other devices, certainly make it sound like you are talking about the phone itself. The Pre is available in both CDMA and GSM forms, and the GSM model is more than capable simultaneous voice and data. So calling it "an inherent flaw in the Pre" is incorrect any way you slice it.



    I'm not going to apologize for calling your statement ignorant. "Ignorant" is not an insult. Dictionary.com:



    Saying that "Android can do it." is an ignorant statement. At best it shows ignorance of the fact that webOS supports simulatenous voice and data. At worst it shows ignorance of the role of network technology in this situation.

    If you go back and read my post, I think you'll find that I never called you a name, and I still haven't.

    Since you can't differentiate a critique of your argument from an insult, you obviously value emotion over facts, and as such I have no further interest in debating with you.
    i think he just got owned
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions