Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    when a new OS update comes out, you gotta remove all your patches and manually install all of them all over again. this can get pretty tedious, especially when you are doing 2 phones (my wife and mine) and 19 patches each (+ apps), with every OS update. there needs to be a better system for removing/installin multiple patches at the same time! i can't be the only one thinking this......

ok, rant over, back to enjoying my pre......
    Last edited by though; 01/02/2010 at 02:18 AM.
    webos and the preware team is working on this issue and have been for some weeks now..soon we will not have to remove patches at all..we can jus update webos n da patches will update as well...if I find da link to the post I'll post it here...but I'm sure somebody will beat me to it
    You're right, it is a little annoying, but its worth it.
    My family has 4 Pre's. Using WebOS QI, I was able to do each phone in less than 6 min each. My two sons (14 and 11) are now able to do their own patching. My wife will never learn, so one of us will have to work on hers for her.

All of us installed update over existing patches, opened WebOS QI, ran EPR, then found and installed all the patches we like. Each phone has different patches. It is quite fast, and much much faster than OTA installs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post
    It is quite fast, and much much faster than OTA installs.
    agreed.

i think people are either running out of things to complain about or just like to complain.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    believe me, i love the pre. it's just an annoyance that could probably be fixed at some point.....
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    does anyone have a link on this? this would be huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    webos and the preware team is working on this issue and have been for some weeks now..soon we will not have to remove patches at all..we can jus update webos n da patches will update as well...if I find da link to the post I'll post it here...but I'm sure somebody will beat me to it
    Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    does anyone have a link on this? this would be huge!
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...e-roadmap.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    This would indeed be one of the most awesome things to have happen.
    I have to agree here. It seems counter productive to have to A)always be aware of when an update will just want to install, and B)remembering to go thru the whole EPR, then reinstall all your "toys"

This go around particularly annoyed me, with having even my App Catalog stuff messed up after the update, and the ONLY answer the Palm team had, related to the location change of the apps causing the issue was to do a partial erase..

I really do not understand why Palm did not have some remedy for this issue and our Homebrew crew did.

THANKFULLY the wonderfully smart webos internal team, had the Emergency Migration tool, and I had read somewhere, in the many posts here about its use.

I really cant wait for the day, when an update is a one step process.

In the meantime this is still my favorite phone/device of all times and I continue to be in awe of the "Smart People" around here..
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    This would indeed be one of the most awesome things to have happen.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/219021-preware-feature-roadmap.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I have to agree here. It seems counter productive to have to A)always be aware of when an update will just want to install, and B)remembering to go thru the whole EPR, then reinstall all your "toys"

This go around particularly annoyed me, with having even my App Catalog stuff messed up after the update, and the ONLY answer the Palm team had, related to the location change of the apps causing the issue was to do a partial erase..

I really do not understand why Palm did not have some remedy for this issue and our Homebrew crew did.

THANKFULLY the wonderfully smart webos internal team, had the Emergency Migration tool, and I had read somewhere, in the many posts here about its use.

I really cant wait for the day, when an update is a one step process.

In the meantime this is still my favorite phone/device of all times and I continue to be in awe of the "Smart People" around here..
    this is because the problem was caused by the homebrew apps not having an info file. You can't ask them to be aware errors from users sideloading and then have a fix for it. Can't blame Palm for this one
    Got my wife & I a Pre last Nov. Played with paches & homebrews that 1st weekend then been too busy to play anymore. Along comes this update pushed to our phones & I didn't have time to remove whatever I patched & couldn't remember anyhow, so we just accepted the upgrade. Now, I miss some of the cool features I had bc the update apparently wiped them. Now i'm looking for answers & get people using acronyms undefined like WEBOS QI & EPR. It may be what I need but what is it? & why isn't there a search box or something so I could find out?
    lost in Precentral.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear50 View Post
    this is because the problem was caused by the homebrew apps not having an info file. You can't ask them to be aware errors from users sideloading and then have a fix for it. Can't blame Palm for this one
    I have a Pre & Doctor'ed to 1.3.5 (I like the "clean" feeling). Just last week got my wife a Pixi. It was fresh out of the box & OTA'ed to 1.3.5. After the update the App Catalog had the problem installing apps.

So it would seem, at least on the Pixi, that OTA'ing it can cause the problem even with no patches or homebrew apps.

Of course I can't confirm the App Catalog worked out of the box as I immediately updated it.

Reading on Palm forums, others with Pixi's had same problem & their solution was to Doctor it.

After Doctor'ing her Pixi all was good!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmup View Post
    Got my wife & I a Pre last Nov. Played with paches & homebrews that 1st weekend then been too busy to play anymore. Along comes this update pushed to our phones & I didn't have time to remove whatever I patched & couldn't remember anyhow, so we just accepted the upgrade. Now, I miss some of the cool features I had bc the update apparently wiped them. Now i'm looking for answers & get people using acronyms undefined like WEBOS QI & EPR. It may be what I need but what is it? & why isn't there a search box or something so I could find out?
    lost in Precentral.
    WEBOS QI (Web OS Quick Install) is a program for your computer that will allow you to install homebrew and such. You can find it in the developer forum under canuck software. I suggest downloading preware and package manager service to ur phone. Preware is the best way to get patches in my opinion. EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery) wipes off all your patches (Which is recommended before updating ur phone.
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear50 View Post
    I guess Im confused... The problems I was having ,was not with my homebrews it was with the actual apps dowloaded from the app catalog. The migration tool fixed that..

I did not side load the official apps, what am I missing?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post
    My family has 4 Pre's. Using WebOS QI, I was able to do each phone in less than 6 min each. My two sons (14 and 11) are now able to do their own patching. My wife will never learn, so one of us will have to work on hers for her.

All of us installed update over existing patches, opened WebOS QI, ran EPR, then found and installed all the patches we like. Each phone has different patches. It is quite fast, and much much faster than OTA installs.
    Oh, that's so 2000!
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    If you don't want to be bothered with uninstalling patches, then don't install them. Use the Pre as Palm intended. If you're gonna be 'bleeding edge', your gonna have to remove your patches/themes on every update.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    apparently you don't understand the point of this post. it's about finding a way around this, which they are close to figuring out...

Quote Originally Posted by flyin2low View Post
    If you don't want to be bothered with uninstalling patches, then don't install them. Use the Pre as Palm intended. If you're gonna be 'bleeding edge', your gonna have to remove your patches/themes on every update.
    Same issue here. My phone and my wife's phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast