Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I have to agree here. It seems counter productive to have to A)always be aware of when an update will just want to install, and B)remembering to go thru the whole EPR, then reinstall all your "toys"

This go around particularly annoyed me, with having even my App Catalog stuff messed up after the update, and the ONLY answer the Palm team had, related to the location change of the apps causing the issue was to do a partial erase..

I really do not understand why Palm did not have some remedy for this issue and our Homebrew crew did.
    The answer to that is pretty simple, the HomeBrew "crew" was the root of the problem.

That's not really a bad thing, or some great wrong they did, it's just the way things are.

Palm created a system that would move their apps, and their apps were the only officially approved apps.

The HomeBrew group were responsible for fixing their problem, and they did an admirable job, a fix as available in roughly 24 hours.
    I guess Im confused... The problems I was having ,was not with my homebrews it was with the actual apps dowloaded from the app catalog. The migration tool fixed that..

I did not side load the official apps, what am I missing?
    It was caused by the HomeBrew.

All apps were stored in a location on the "drive". With 1.3.5, that location was redefined, so it would be in the "roomier" media drive. That meant all of the old apps had to be moved. The routine looked for a file that was supposed to be part of the application (it was on all of the official apps). When it couldn't find that file, it wouldn't move the app. Because it wouldn't move the app, none of the new App Catalog files would download.

The EMH that's part of PreWare (I think that was Emergency Move Helper) added the missing files, so the apps could be moved. That fixed the problem.
    am I the only one that keeps all my patches, apps, and tweaks in a separate folder on my laptop? Makes it really easy to reinstall after an OS update if they're all in one place.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    am I the only one that keeps all my patches, apps, and tweaks in a separate folder on my laptop? Makes it really easy to reinstall after an OS update if they're all in one place.
    i do that too
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but its just my nature to want to understand stuff

So the file location changed, ok get that... but why was the file needed for the update to move them for the homebrews, changed on the app catalog apps?

How were the homebrew apps able to change that file for the official apps?

again, sorry if I seem pedantic over this, just my geekwannabe nature
    Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but its just my nature to want to understand stuff

So the file location changed, ok get that... but why was the file needed for the update to move them for the homebrews, changed on the app catalog apps?

How were the homebrew apps able to change that file for the official apps?

again, sorry if I seem pedantic over this, just my geekwannabe nature
    1.3.5 looked for an app-info file in the app in order to move them to the right spot. The homebrew apps lacked that file, so when 1.3.5 ran into them, it stopped moving the apps. So in a way. 1.3.5 wasn't completely done installing. That's what caused the app download issues.

It didn't change anything for the official apps, just the homebrew. The EMH added a blank app-info file to every homebrew you had installed. After a restart, it allowed the unfinished 1.3.5 to do its thing. Thus, the install finished and all was well in the land.
    Ahhhhhhhhh PERFECT explaination that I can understand.

so it was not a matter of having a problem moving the app cat, apps, but it never GOT to them, as the file it was looking for in the first Homebrew it encountered, gave a missing file error, thereby halting the routine!

GOT IT!

Thank you..Laelipoo!
    Ahhhhhhhhh PERFECT explaination that I can understand.

so it was not a matter of having a problem moving the app cat, apps, but it never GOT to them, as the file it was looking for in the first Homebrew it encountered, gave a missing file error, thereby halting the routine!

GOT IT!

Thank you..Laelipoo!
    No prob.
    How do you get all of the patches into a folder? Some I have found links to the packages, others I can't?

This would be great to do if I knew how!
    Just a quick bump to see if anyone is wiling to share how to get all of the patches downloaded locally and placed into a folder (how convenient)!

I have found links to a few packages for download, but most I cannot find!

This would be a great help for the dreaded update process, and I would be very grateful if anyone could explain the process.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12