Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Thinking out loud -

When Verizon gets the Pre Plus (no matter what that means as far as upgraded or updated internals) wouldn’t Sprint get the same thing relatively soon?

I don't know anything about the cell phone manufacturing process, but if the factory that makes the Pre sends them to both Verizon and Sprint, wouldn’t they be the same?

Or do different carriers use different factories? Or does Palm make them and send to carriers?

Just trying to think of possible scenarios for Pre Plus on Sprint. I could be way off base.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
    Thinking out loud -

When Verizon gets the Pre Plus (no matter what that means as far as upgraded or updated internals) wouldn’t Sprint get the same thing relatively soon?
    I seriously doubt it. Sprint will probably be the launch partner for the Pre 2. They aren't going to create confusion and waste resources on some interim product, if the Pre Plus is really an upgrade at all.

I say let Verizon have the Pre Plus. They are already 7 months behind Sprint on having the Pre. When June rolls around again, we'll be on the Pre 2 and Verizon will announce their intention to carry it "very early in 2011"
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Fair point.

But Palm could also announce a new device for Sprint altogether. Boy, wouldnt that be awesome.

They have said that they want a 'family' of phones. Whether next week or by summer, I'm sure there will be a 3rd device for webOS.
    Fair point.

But Palm could also announce a new device for Sprint altogether. Boy, wouldnt that be awesome.

They have said that they want a 'family' of phones. Whether next week or by summer, I'm sure there will be a 3rd device for webOS.
    Actually, Ruby said just the opposite a week or so ago. He said that their focus is not to put out a slew of different phones. Instead, he says that they will focus on refining the WebOS experience while continuing to hit more carriers.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Actually, Ruby said just the opposite a week or so ago. He said that their focus is not to put out a slew of different phones. Instead, he says that they will focus on refining the WebOS experience while continuing to hit more carriers.
    Interesting, I missed that then.

Following that logic (which is fine by my re: working on OS more than new devices) would they improve builds of current phones as they go?

Did Apple improve their phone each year? My bro has one and says it's solid, except that it barely makes calls here in NYC...lol...with AT&T.
    Did Apple improve their phone each year? My bro has one and says it's solid, except that it barely makes calls here in NYC...lol...with AT&T.
    Yep. All three iPhones are basically the same on the outside, with only software and internal improvements. They have so far released an upgraded iPhone every June/July.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Interesting, I missed that then.

Following that logic (which is fine by my re: working on OS more than new devices) would they improve builds of current phones as they go?

Well, improving an existing model is entirely different from releasing new, different models. I'm sure Palm is aware of this. Even an overclocked Pre is starting to pale in comparison to current and announced models. They'll have to refresh their internals if they want to stay competitive/attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Well, improving an existing model is entirely different from releasing new, different models. I'm sure Palm is aware of this. Even an overclocked Pre is starting to pale in comparison to current and announced models. They'll have to refresh their internals if they want to stay competitive/attractive.
    You're right, and I do expect Palm to continue to refresh the existing models of both the Pre and Pixi. I also wouldn't doubt that they release one more new model in the future, though I don't believe it will be the near future . . . maybe after the Pre 2/Pixi 2 or something like that.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    It would actually be pretty easy for Sprint to carry the Pre Plus, it's still CDMA; but I doubt that they would bother, because I would think they would have a new device (Pre2) by end of year.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Room for a sim card for GSM....but no room for a micro sd card?.I know its an old issue but still a very valid one..

IGO