Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I bought a release day pre and had miserable battery life, posting several times on these forums about my concerns. I tried everything suggested, and could never do better than going from 9am -5pm before being greeted by the red battery or triangle symbol.

I eventually went to the sprint store and got a 2nd battery, I believe one that was altered to correct the glitch where people's phones were shutting down when sliding the phone shut, a problem I didn't have. They didn't have one in stock so I was able to keep my old one and the corrected battery was shipped out. The battery itself made no difference, both lasted about the same amount of time.

In any case, having 2 batteries allowed me to use my Centro as a charger. I have found that this triples (probably more than that) the life I get out of my batteries, both new and original battery that came with my phone. I've noticed that the battery status stays green 3-4 hours longer than in the past, and when putting a freshly charged battery in, it always says 100% wheras the micro-usb charger would usually only get me to 97% or so. I would say on average, each charge lasts me 36 hours.

I haven't been following this forum closely since my battery life improved, so perhaps this has been suggested elsewhere, but hopefully this may work for somebody else because it really increased my appreciation of the pre.

The one thing I've noticed though, since 1.3.5, is that turning my phone on after replacing the battery usually stalls out, and the pulsating glow behind the palm logo never starts. I have to yank the battery, and so far it works every time on the 2nd try.

Happy new years!
    Are you sure your actual battery life is better and it's not the battery meter reading incorrectly because you're swapping batteries that were charged in another device into the Pre?

Have your usage patterns or coverage changed recently?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Pretty sure. Phone would consistently die in 10-14 hours previously, now it typically lasts well past 24 hrs. Use and coverage have not changed dramatically to my knowledge. The improvement I saw was dramatic enough that I really don't put restrictions on my use any longer, it just usually works out, of coarse I'm sure I could kill the battery if I tried hard enough.

I really think that my pre does not get a satisfactory charge using both mine and my girlfriend's oem cylinder/micro-usb charger. My gf's pre does not have this problem. Her battery life out of the box was generally > 24 hours. I tried swapping batteries, chargers, and we work in the same location, so that is all controlled for. I also tried out of pocket (less heat) etc, and the only thing that made any impact was charging batteries in an old palm centro.

i'd say try it if you have a centro laying around, especially if you think there's something wrong with your battery life. not sure if pre owners who already get good life out of a charge will have any benefit, I was never in that enviable group until I started doing this.
    What is a centro ?
    Its prob a difference in the battery monitor. You need to run your battery till your phone turns off in your pre and then recharge it so it calibrates. Everyone should do this once in a while.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Not sure if you're joking, but the palm centro is/was a popular smartphone based on the palm treo that had wide appeal based on it cost, size, etc. it uses the same, or a very similar battery to the palm pre, and in my case, is now re-purposed as a good battery charger.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    Its prob a difference in the battery monitor. You need to run your battery till your phone turns off in your pre and then recharge it so it calibrates. Everyone should do this once in a while.
    That is along the lines of what I thought, and I would daily run my phone until it died ... believe me, it was not a rare occurence or purposeful. My suspicion was that a possible cause of rapid drain was that there was still juice in the battery, but the phone was shutting off prematurely.

Whether or not that is the case, charging externally has fixed it for me.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpre View Post
    The one thing I've noticed though, since 1.3.5, is that turning my phone on after replacing the battery usually stalls out, and the pulsating glow behind the palm logo never starts. I have to yank the battery, and so far it works every time on the 2nd try.
    I have that problem as well, but found a simple, if annoying, workaround. When you power up after the battery swap and the Palm logo "just sits there" simply do a reboot (ORANGE - SYM - R) and it will cycle through and power up normally.

No idea what's causing the problem, but this is a better solution than yanking the battery over and over.