Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had some patches but used EPR to remove them. Went to update and it froze up at some point so I pulled the battery. After that the update just took me to the explanation point screen to go to palm.com/rom.

I than ran webos doctor and it kept telling me it could not restart my phone. I finally got it to work and after it reset I got the dreaded blue cloud, phone offline, unable to resolve error. At that time my battery was pretty low so I plugged it in to charge.

Now my third issue. The phone just will not charge so I can't try to run the doctor again. The only thing that the screen shows is the low red battery screen.

So I take it back to a sprint store yesterday and the rep confirms it will not charge and tells me he will order a replacement but the system is down because it is New Years Eve. He takes my info and tells me I will not have a new Pre until at least Monday. I asked him if he could just give me a Pre from the store and he said no. They are only for sale and he needs to get a replacement from Sprint. Now I am without a phone until at least Monday if not later. I am pretty ****ed, especially being a Sprint customer for over 10 years and I can't even get a phone to use while I wait. Guy basically told me I was SOL. Any thoughts on this situation?
    What happened to the phone you had before the Pre? Do an ESN swap and reactivate it until you get your Pre back.
    It's frustrating yes but it's like that with Verizon and AT&T as well, or at least it was when I had my service through them. They can't give you a new phone from the store because they're probably setting it up through your insurance (Though in your case they'll probably wave the fee... Don't quote me on this of course.) which means most likely a refurbished one. Alternatively you could've contacted palm because you have a 1 year warranty but I promise you they would take as long or longer to get you a replacement
    lol blame sprint cause your broke your phone...
  5.    #5  
    I did not break my phone the update did. Not my fault it locked up and my only recourse was to try a battery pull.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    lol blame sprint cause your broke your phone...
    They have their policies.....it's the way it is....sorry to say

Sorry about your luck.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    How long did you leave the phone charging with the low battery screen? it could take up to 10 minutes to charge before the phone boots from the battery screen. Also, u try running the doctor without the battery installed? Correct me if i'm wrong, but i heard u can run doctor without battery (Hold up and press power button while phone is plugged into computer)
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by masc23 View Post
    I did not break my phone the update did. Not my fault it locked up and my only recourse was to try a battery pull.
    As far as Sprint and Palm are concerned...you did....by putting on non Palm/Sprint approved software.
  9.    #9  
    He said he was setting it up as a warranty claim and I would be getting a new phone at least.

Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    It's frustrating yes but it's like that with Verizon and AT&T as well, or at least it was when I had my service through them. They can't give you a new phone from the store because they're probably setting it up through your insurance (Though in your case they'll probably wave the fee... Don't quote me on this of course.) which means most likely a refurbished one. Alternatively you could've contacted palm because you have a 1 year warranty but I promise you they would take as long or longer to get you a replacement
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    What part of the update were you on when it locked up?

11.    #11  
    I was updating with a white circle. The circle was complete the phone then went to the same screen with the circle but no progress was being shown. That lasted 30 minutes then I pulled the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    What part of the update were you on when it locked up?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I was updating with a white circle. The circle was complete the phone then went to the same screen with the circle but no progress was being shown. That lasted 30 minutes then I pulled the battery.
    oh ok. The reason i asked was that mine took forever (Maybe an hour.). It didn't look like the circle was moving either, but i left it and it eventually updated.

Despite the text across the bottom below the circle that says "do not remove battery?" C'mon...I think you have to own up to at least a LITTLE culpability here.

This update was indeed differerent to the prior ones. The download was much smaller, but seemed to take as long if not longer, and went thru a number of "unpacking" cycles after downloading (for me, maybe I got a bad initial download). Once it gave me the "install now" option, it went through a number of circle-filling-in and reboot cycles - two at least, possibly three, and was pretty slow, your 30 minutes with no progress isn't out of line with what I saw. Part of the app limit resolution was moving all your existing apps, so apparently that was part of the added time. But it clearly said "do not remove battery" so I waited it out, and in the end everything was fine.

You got impatient and assumed it was frozen, sounds like. You're getting a NEW warranty replacement out of it, in a couple of days, which is reasonable as well. (Warranty replacements come from PALM not Sprint's stock; my wife had a similar wait when she turned back in a Pre that wasn't charging on the Touchstone -- yes we verified it wasn't the stone or the back, did the reset trick, and there's a visibly charred part of the voltage regulator chip that the battery makes contact with, so it was clearly a HW failure).

In short, I think you're getting better service than you think you are. Not entirely defending Sprint in general - with the same phone replacement of my wife's they managed to wipe her contact backup from the cloud by not updating its OS with a false profile name before resetting and entering the correct one, despite my very clear arguments that doing so would kill her backup. But in your case, I don't think you're being entirely fair to them.
    mine took a really long time too! I almost pulled the battery, but since every other time I'd thought it was frozen it restarted itself. This update took forever. It seems like most people fall into one of two groups w this update: those who are saying "holy smokes that took forever!", and those who thought their phone froze and pulled the battery md-update.

I hope that if that really did break your Pre that a replacement comes quickly. Until then, I'd search around on here for all the ways to force your phone back to life just enough to doctor and restart.

good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    What happened to the phone you had before the Pre? Do an ESN swap and reactivate it until you get your Pre back.
    +1

i do that all the time. its free.

and they are just following procedure. dont blame them, it happened

we can not change the way the wind blows, however we can adjust our sails.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    He said he was setting it up as a warranty claim and I would be getting a new phone at least.
    As far as I know (Been a few years since I worked for Sprint/Nextel so forgive me if this info is out dated.) phone warranties go through the manufacturer and not the provider. I'd almost be willing to bet you have a refurb coming, not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, under most circumstances I actually prefer them (Usually more quality control checks for refurbs). If you get a box with the works it's new, if it comes in a grey bag it's a refurb. You can also tell by checking the device info but the packaging is usually a dead give away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    +1
    we can not change the way the wind blows, however we can adjust our sails.
    Hands down, most philosophical reply on a cell phone forum EVER and an awesome quote... well almost quote
    Yea my update took forever. lol. That circle barely moved and my phone turned on and off twice i think. Also unpacking part took forever. It was prob an hour before the phone restarted. Then my app catalog didnt work because of some hombrew glitch so i had to webos doctor my phone. Anyway you should be glad your getting a new phone cause they dont have to be nice to us preware users.

On a side note i find it strange that you cant get your phone to run the webos doctor. I have used the doctor many times and it always saves me. You should leave your phone charging for a while then try it. You have to hold power and slide the ringer switch back and fourth a few times when you connect to the webos doctor. I think theres another way someone said just connect and keep pushing the up volume button. Also another option is putting a charged battery in if yours wont charge lol. im sure sprint had them.
    and why is your battery dead if your phone was bricked when you pulled the battery on update? So you updated the phone with a dead battery???

Hold power button toggle rocker switch run webosdoctor.

dont blame sprint or palm for broken phone on newyears. Im not going to work till monday either. lol.
    So yeah...once you get your new phone, don't forget to type in a temporary new account so that your contacts and stuff won't get corrupted! Otherwise you'll be back here *****ing how much Palm sucks and that all your contacts are gone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast