Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Good points by all. Yes I do own a little culpability because I ignored the warning but I really thought something was wrong with the update based on previous updates. Lesson learned.

I tried everything to get the phone hooked up to webos doctor again including the force USB trick. Nothing will take it off the red battery screen. It seems the failure has caused the phone to not charge the battery. I don't think there is a problem with the actual battery.

As far as a swap back to my old Blackberry Pearl, I gave it to our toddler to play with and her drool must have short circuited it. It won't charge or boot up.

I am just frustrated by not having my Pre or any phone over the long weekend which I know you all can sympathize with. I do not have a land line so I have had to resort to putting a message on my voicemail directing people to call my wife's phone.

Thanks for the responses and putting some things in perspective!
    Last edited by masc23; 01/01/2010 at 12:39 PM.
  2.    #22  
    Can you enlighten me as to what I actually have to do or is ther a thread that discusses this?

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    So yeah...once you get your new phone, don't forget to type in a temporary new account so that your contacts and stuff won't get corrupted! Otherwise you'll be back here *****ing how much Palm sucks and that all your contacts are gone.
  3.    #23  
    I was trying to doctor it at work with my home laptop. Once I got the blue cloud failure I decided I was going to download doctor 1.3.5 and try it when I got home (employer will not allow downloading/installing) by time I got home the battery was dead.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    and why is your battery dead if your phone was bricked when you pulled the battery on update? So you updated the phone with a dead battery???

Hold power button toggle rocker switch run webosdoctor.

dont blame sprint or palm for broken phone on newyears. Im not going to work till monday either. lol.
  4. grn
    Im on my second phone cause of that same issue you had..... did and update and had problems with phone....

My total now is 6 pre since june
    This **** is gettin old
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Regarding getting a replacement that really depends on the retailer. My Pre's screen cracked and I took it back to the store I bought it at which happens to be an independent retailer (despite having the giant Sprint logo above the store and no signs of it not being a corporate store). They determined it was defective, asked me to bring back everything in it's original box and handed me another new one in a box. Had a similar experience with my old Treo 650 at the same store only they wanted $10 for a new one in a box instead of the free refurb replacement. So results will vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by masc23 View Post
    Can you enlighten me as to what I actually have to do or is ther a thread that discusses this?
    There probably is, but the short version is that there have been issues for some people that got a replacement phone that did not have the most current version of webos installed. The person would enter their palm profile information into the new phone, but after everything is downloaded from the palm profile, the contacts would be missing. Seems like either Palm or Sprint or both traced it back to the culprit being the two different versions of webos trying to work together. Your last palm backup was probably done on version 1.3.1., so if the new phone has 1.3.1 installed, you should be fine. If the new phone has any version lower than that, you should make a "dummy account" by just using some other email address and password just to get the phone going. After that, you update the phone to the most current version, then do a full erase (maybe a partial is enough, not totally sure on that one), then put in your proper palm profile information and all your contacts and other info should be ok.

That's at least how I understood it, don't hold me to it. Hopefully the others will chime in with any other additional information.

You can also browse through the forum and look for some threads were people lost their contact info.

Hope it works out well for you and that you get a good new Pre without any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by grn View Post
    Im on my second phone cause of that same issue you had..... did and update and had problems with phone....

My total now is 6 pre since june
    This **** is gettin old
    lol 6... you have some problems man. I got a replacement but it was cause i broke the thing. You either have horrible luck or your not very good with technology.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    you'll be getting a new used phone :]
    just got a replacement a few days ago because my touchscreen cracked on the inside
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    you'll be getting a new used phone :]
    just got a replacement a few days ago because my touchscreen cracked on the inside
    Did you have any trouble with your Palm Profile? Did you lose any contacts or did you do the fake new palm profile first?
  10. grn
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    lol 6... you have some problems man. I got a replacement but it was cause i broke the thing. You either have horrible luck or your not very good with technology.
    Im think its a combo of all that mostly bad luck.....

these bs refurbished phone al least the last 4 was... if it happens again im done
    Same thing happened to me, except I have never installed any third party or unapproved software. Error during 1.3.5 update (no I didn't remove the battery, it actually gave me the exclamation sign error during the update installation), webosdoctor failed, Sprint store wouldn't give me one in stock and I am waiting for a damned refurb, even though my current bricked phone is completely mint physically. Did nothing wrong and I'm getting screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrski View Post
    In short, I think you're getting better service than you think you are.
    I agree completely. Sprint's customer service is providing a new phone and doing it as quickly as possible in (technically) 1 business day. They are not making the customer jump through hoops or making the exchange difficult. Their customer service, in this example, should be considered excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by masc23 View Post
    Manny's post (#26) pretty much nails it. Fake profile until you can verify that the new phone is on the latest OS (or at least the same OS as your old, since it 'croaked' during the 1.3.5 update), then do a full erase (Device Info -> Reset options button at bottom), then enter your correct profile once the OS is up to date.

I don't think it was ever considered a 100% thing that trying to retreive your profile cloud info on an old OS would hose your data, but from what I'd read it was a pretty sizeable chance...and my wife did indeed experience it.

At the store they will want to "help" you by getting the new phone working for you, and will likely try and tell you "It's up to date already" because that's what their policies say (or so I was told after my wife's situation). You just can't check the installed version number until the phone goes thru startup and asks you for a profile, which is a little disconcerting; I'd think they should have the phone try to sign into the network, then ask for a profile, but at least allow you to view the Device Info screen and hit the update button right then and there, but it doesn't allow anything aside from emergency call or customer support call prior to the profile entry. That might also change once Pre's are available on other networks, then again it might not....

Be firm in asking to do the profile input yourself so you can enter some bogus one (I used a made-up name of "Temp O'Rary" but did use a real email address that's one of my backup emails for spam-catching use only, in case I did ever need to verify I got the Palm profile activation email) and look @ Device Info to check the OS version. At which point, if it's not at least on 1.3.1, you can show them and say "I may have just saved you a huge amount of screaming on my part, thankmeverymuch".

Having to upgrade OS's there in the store may be tediously slow and painful (so budget some time when you go to pick up the new phone) but then again, better to have something potentially go wrong with all the upgrades RIGHT THEN, before you've walked out, so you can just toss it back at them and say "try again" if needbe. Let's hope not!!

Mind you, I've also read (here and elsewhere) that having the new phone on the same OS version as the old is no GUARANTEE your profile will come in with no errors as we're assuming you had a recent profile backup anyway (for example, 1.2.9 to 1.3.1 had an error where it actually stopped doing profile backups even if backup was set on, needed to toggle it off and back on again in some cases to get it to reset) but at least it eliminates one major chance of oopsies.
    I never had a problem with updates. The only time I ever had an issue with the phone was after a WebOS Doctor install of 1.3.1...it worked and would boot but would never activate on the network again. I even took it into one of the Sprint service centers and they couldn't fix it (they doctored the phone themselves too), and I had to have the phone replaced. They thought it was a hardware problem with the radio, that something just happened to break at the time I did my update and it was a coincidence.
    I did the 1.3.5 update. I did EPR before doing the update removing all of the hacks. Update went fine. I added a couple tweaks. Now all audio playback for Pandora, Music Player, Video, etc has no sound with either the speaker or headphones. The players play but no sound will come out. I have removed the tweaks, but no avail. Any ideas? Maybe time to do WebOS Doctor but I hate to do that and loose all of the apps that I have paid for and installed.
    bw: bit of a threadjack, but try the Device Info, go to prefs menu top left, pick Interactive Tests > Audio test. Might 'unstick' a digital bit somewhere that thinks the audio is in use or something. Worked for my wife when her ringtones stopped but all other sounds worked. <Shrug>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12