Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok I was on here a few weeks ago and read something about being able to terminate my contract with sprint for like, a dollar or something. Something about after January the 4th. Could anyone help me with this? I have 3 sprint cards (don't ask) that I want to cancel but I still have a lot've time on their contracts. Could someone please enlighten me? Don't worry, I'm not leaving my Pre. For sure hanging on to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Ok I was on here a few weeks ago and read something about being able to terminate my contract with sprint for like, a dollar or something. Something about after January the 4th. Could anyone help me with this? I have 3 sprint cards (don't ask) that I want to cancel but I still have a lot've time on their contracts. Could someone please enlighten me? Don't worry, I'm not leaving my Pre. For sure hanging on to that.
    they are upping the 'regulatory fee' and another fee being added, making a change in the terms which allow a cancellation without ETF if you 'do not agree' now.
    The fee to those with a spending limit may not apply to you. In any case the change has to be significant. With the reg charge alone I don't see how one could argue that. Good luck finding a rep to void your contract
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The fee to those with a spending limit may not apply to you. In any case the change has to be significant. With the reg charge alone I don't see how one could argue that. Good luck finding a rep to void your contract
    I threatened to do so and got good service finally. I have having major issues with the local site going down daily. I left for a week at christmas and come back, they have t up and going properly now.

My only time I was irate with sprint.
    Lots of people have already done it successfully, actually. Also, no, the change does not have to be significant, only "materially adverse", which means there has to be a monetary change in your charges that is adverse to you as the customer. $0.20, small as it is, still counts.
  6.    #6  
    So... I just call sprint up, tell them I'm not happy with the changes, pay 20 cents, then I'm good to go?
    This whole thing burns my ****. It's simply appalling that one can void a contract because of such a trivial change in terms, when the contract itself allows for (or should be able to allow for) such changes. People just don't understand how destroying the free market this way will necessarily result in fewer business and technological advances.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    This whole thing burns my ****. It's simply appalling that one can void a contract because of such a trivial change in terms, when the contract itself allows for (or should be able to allow for) such changes. People just don't understand how destroying the free market this way will necessarily result in fewer business and technological advances.
    I agree to a certain point but Sprint should simply not make these changes for existing subscribers. I can't decide to reduce my bill by .20 cents because I feel like it so they shouldn't either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    So... I just call sprint up, tell them I'm not happy with the changes, pay 20 cents, then I'm good to go?
    Technically the changes don't go into effect until tomorrow, so I'd probably wait until Monday or sometime next week to call. Some people have been able to do it early, but you'll probably have better luck if you wait. I'll be calling next week as well.

And Wynand, Sprint is the one who is changing the contract. All they had to do was not change their terms and there wouldn't even be an issue. If this somehow hurts Sprint or the "free market", then there's only one party to blame.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Bunch of whinny brats....its what...... 50 cents. That's a sorry excuse. If you cant afford a very very small increase you shouldn't have a cell phone anyway, and Sprint will still be the cheapest for the service you get....unbelievable
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Bunch of whinny brats....its what...... 50 cents. That's a sorry excuse. If you cant afford a very very small increase you shouldn't have a cell phone anyway, and Sprint will still be the cheapest for the service you get....unbelievable
    umm...do you work for sprint?
    i don't think I know a single person that LOVES to be in a 2 year contract. i rather do month to month in case better phones or plans become available with other networks. that's the name of the business...i don't marry any provider, if they can't offer me the best I move on...that's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    So how much of an increase is acceptable to you? We've established that an extra 50 cents a month is fine with you, so let's see how far that goes. Would it be okay if they charged an extra $1 a month for "regulatory fees"? How about $5? $20?

The point is, everyone has some line they aren't willing to cross, but that isn't the point of this. I can afford the $0.50, but by simply accepting it, we're sending a message to Sprint and other carriers that it's fine to add on arbitrary fees that are not included in our original contract. That is what I'm not okay with. Even if it were only a penny a month, it doesn't matter, Sprint needs to stick to the contract agreed upon by them and the customer.

Plus, like Jeremy said, if we decided one day to start paying 20 cents less on our bill every month, you can bet Sprint would be all over it. Don't kid yourself. I'm loyal to Sprint too, and have been for nearly 10 years now, but loyalty only goes so far.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    umm...do you work for sprint?
    i don't think I know a single person that LOVES to be in a 2 year contract. i rather do month to month in case better phones or plans become available with other networks. that's the name of the business...i don't marry any provider, if they can't offer me the best I move on...that's that.
    Well you agreed to it to begin with and no i dont work for sprint. I'm an iron worker. So 50 cents makes it not the best now. nice try at a pour excuse

flame all you want im done with this
    This debate could go on forever. It is all about contractual obligations. I (as the consumer) readily accepted the contract that was presented to me when I signed it. It doesn't matter what the changes are in the contract (no matter how small) it is still a change in the contract and there for is a breach in said contract. I understand that it is a small amount, but it is still a change. That is what "free Markets" are all about. We sign up for one thing for a set period of time and if that thing (terms) change we are aloud an out.

On a side note I own a company that deals heavily in business to consumer contracts for every transaction that is made. You have to be very careful in dealing with contracts. Consumers have a lot of rights.

I have four lines on my account and have reviewed my option to terminate (a right which I have) and have decided to stay because of the customer service my company has received and the low plan prices.

My $ .02
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Well you agreed to it to begin with and no i dont work for sprint. I'm an iron worker. So 50 cents makes it not the best now. nice try at a pour excuse

flame all you want im done with this
    Who's flaming? You're the one who called everyone whiny brats.

Also, you pretty much just made our point. Yes, we agreed to a contract with specific costs and fees when we first signed up or renewed with Sprint. By adding new fees in the middle of the contract, Sprint has made the contract null and void unless we agree to them.
    I'm interested, let me know how and I'll bail that Nexus One phone looks pretty ****ing sweet. I've had a Pre for 6 months and I have to say that since iTunes is no longer being supported I might as well switch to Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    Lots of people have already done it successfully, actually. Also, no, the change does not have to be significant, only "materially adverse", which means there has to be a monetary change in your charges that is adverse to you as the customer. $0.20, small as it is, still counts.
    Explain how .20 is materially adverse? Material means significant in accounting.

I'm thinking we're not seeing eye to eye on what material means.

of substantial import; of much consequence; important: Your support will make a material difference in the success of our program.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Explain how .20 is materially adverse? Material means significant in accounting.

I'm thinking we're not seeing eye to eye on what material means.

of substantial import; of much consequence; important: Your support will make a material difference in the success of our program.
    Frankly, I don't care if you or anyone calls it materially adverse or not. They are changing the terms of the contract. If I'm not free to lower the rate I pay by $.20, then damn skippy they aren't free to up it by $.20.

If they break the agreed upon contract, folks are free to bail. It doesn't matter if it's $.01.

Personally I'm staying, but anyone who wants to leave when the other party changes the contract is quite free to, without being called whinny or whatever other ******** in the forum want to call them.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I think this also begs the question in regards to the OP: Will they be allowed to cancel 3 (three air cards) but still keep their primary phone service option?

I also want to point out that the ETF is living up to fulfilling the contract. I appreciate the fact that I cannot be "stuck" in any contract where I cannot spend $200 to effectively give the finger to any service I feel does not fulfill my needs. I paid the fee mid contract on Sprint in the past when my company went with T-mobile. I paid gladly to get out of T-mobile (just poor service at home and I am irritated by the mosquito noise generated via GSM networks) to return to Sprint.

Now finding a way to get that ETF to nothing is just using the system to your advantage. For each of us sucking up this $.20 per month, they will make it for the people who leave(who go on to pay the same somewhere else). In the case of the OP....if this works, it just works for them in their scenario.

Dave
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i'm not sure about air cards, but I successfully cancelled three (out of 10) phone lines. And I was honest with the rep I talked to. I said "Hey I heard that the change to the regulatory fee will let me cancel my phone without having to pay an ETF? Is that true, is there such a loophole?" (yes I even referred to it as a loophole) ... and the rep said "Yes, that is correct, you can cancel with no ETF" ... so I did.

I did not try to, nor did I want to, convert to month to month. Nor will I be trying to get a new phone from them in the near future out of those cancelled lines, I just didn't need them any more and took advantage of my golden opportunity.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast