1.    #1  
    What is the difference between these 3 options?
    Partial erase: Wipes all installed applications and their settings/data.

Full erase: Same as partial erase + wipes all data on the USB partition.

Doctor: Completely wipes the phone Wipes everything but the USB partition, including the operating system, and restores it to the same state as a brand new Pre right out of the box and other than the files on the USB partition, it will be like a brand new Pre.
    Last edited by dallashigh; 01/01/2010 at 01:19 AM.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    does it wipe out text messages and memos etc?
    doctoring doesn't wipe the usb partitian anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    does it wipe out text messages and memos etc?
    Well here's a list of what's stored in your Palm Profile, to the best of my knowledge:
    Downloaded applications (but NOT their settings or data)
    Contacts
    Calendar events
    Memos
    Browser bookmarks
    Email accounts (but not the actual emails themselves)
    IM accounts
    Launcher settings (page arrangement and quick launch)

These are stored on the USB partition, which is only wiped by a full erase:
    MMS attachments (Picture/Video mail)
    Ringtones
    Music and videos synced from a computer
    Installed applications
    Camera photos
    Wallpapers

I believe text messages survive Partial Erase and Full Erase, but they definitely do not survive Doctor.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Where are email messages stored?
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Text messages don't survive any of these options.
    m100 -> m125 -> zire 71 -> Treo 650 (VZW) -> Pre Plus (VZW) + TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by kseaston View Post
    In the cloud. The Pre mirrors email messages you have in your accounts - synergy in action.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kseaston View Post
    If all you've got is a Palm profile and doing POP3, your email messages are stored on the Pre, and erased.

If you're syncing with another system, or doing IMAP, they're on your mail system.
    I would always WebOS doctor.. just sayin
    Is there something I can do to back up my text messages before I doctor my phone, and then restore them after?
    You can use save/restore to save your messages to the usb partition of the phone and then copy it to your computer but at the moment there is no way to restore them, hopfully in the near future we will be able to.
    palm really needs to change their cloud backup app so it saves text messages to.
    Does Palm Profile Backup store browser bookmarks that are created as launcher items?
    Just FYI, Save/Restore (available via Preware) can backup messages. Although they can't be restored to the device (yet), they're available as a nice HTML document formatted as a table. I've started using it to save and then clear out the messaging app, on the chance that this will help keep things nice and clean.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic