Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I figured it was time to make a central thread explaining all of our backup options for WebOS phones. I'm not an expert on this, so I figured if everyone pitches in and helps out, we can build a nice thread to sticky.

Solution: Built-in WebOS backup.
    Backs up:Contacts, list of installed programs, WebOS settings, memos, calendar
    Backs up to: Palm's server
    Pros: If all is functioning well, happens automatically on every Pre ever day.
    Cons: Doesn't always back up daily, and even when it does, it's backups are often flawed. Not the most reliable solution.
    How-To: Should work by default. If not go to Launcer>Backup>and either turn it ON or force a manual backup.

Solution: My dream solution (does not yet exist)
    Backs up:Everything. Does either a complete image of the entire phone or at minimum an image of everything except for the OS itself.
    Backs up to: Some server in the sky as well as my local PC.
    Pros: Backs automatically daily, and does local backups to my PC when I tell it to.
    Cons: Not built-in to the OS.
    How-To: Download this make-believe app from the app store, set preferences, and forget.

Solution: PocketMirror
    Backs up:?
    Backs up to: ?
    Pros: ?
    Cons: High cost.
    How-To:?

Solution: Synching with Google
    Backs up:Complete contact listing including addresses, etc. May even does the photo you have associated to a contact.
    Backs up to: Your gmail account.
    Pros: Backs up all contacts all the time. If you need to restore, you will get them back.
    Cons: Apparently, only new contacts are linked to the google account.
    How-To:
    1) Setup Google Mail Account
    2) Create Google E-Mail Account on phone, therefore creating the account for other applications on the phone such as calendar and contacts.
    3) Open Contacts app.
    4) Tap the pull-down menu on the top left area of the screen.
    5) Tap Preferences & Accounts.
    6) Tap Palm Profile under Default Account
    7) Select your gmail account
    8) Press "Sync Now"
    9) HOW OFTEN DOES THIS SYNC AUTOMATICALLY???
    Last edited by Kooldino; 01/02/2010 at 12:48 AM.
  2.    #2  
    *reserved*
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooldino View Post
    Solution: Built-in WebOS backup.
    Backs up:Contacts, list of installed programs, WebOS settings, memos, calendar
    Backs up to: Palm's server
    Pros: If all is functioning well, happens automatically on every Pre ever day.
    Cons: Doesn't always back up daily, and even when it does, it's backups are often flawed. Not the most reliable solution.
    How-To: Should work by default. If not go to Launcer>Backup>and either turn it ON or force a manual backup.

Backs up:?
    Pros: ?
    Cons: ?
    How-To:?
    Backup Method 1: HORRIBLE. DO NOT USE. The only things that seem to backup are the programs you had installed. Contacts, etc. do not backup. Also, this is no longer working automatically. You have to manually backup.

Backup Method 2: WORKS AWESOME for contacts.

----------------------

Backs up:Complete contact listing including addresses, etc. I believe it even does the photo's you have associated to a contact. I have icons for Napa and Autozone and I wiped my phone and they came back.
    Pros: Backsup all contacts all the time. If you need to restore, you will get them back unlike with the Palm Profile
    Cons: None yet
    How-To:See Below

1) Setup Google Mail Account
    2) Create Google E-Mail Account on phone, therefore creating the account for other applications on the phone such as calendar and contacts
    3) Open Contacts app
    4) Tap the top left area of the screen
    5) Tap Preferences & Accounts
    6) Tape Palm Profile under Default Account
    7) Set to Google
    8) You will never lose your contacts again
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, tweaked and edited first post.
    Ok, so what am I missing. I already had a google profile on my pre with 11 contacts. I just brought in facebook with 334 contacts, and the palm profile has 174 contacts. I changed my default profile to google as instructed above. I then clicked on sync now and it still says I only have 11 contacts on google. It says the same thing on my google contacts website as well.
    It doesn't move contacts for you, as you found out. All you did was to make sure new contacts are added to google. You will need to manually move your contacts from your Palm profile to google (or search and find some of the automated ways to do this).
    Mikey47. Thanks for the info. Let me ask you this if you know. I still have my old phone (Instinct.) I would say that of the 174 contacts in my palm profile, about 170 of those came from the instinct. Since I now I have google as my default account, what would happen if I took the phones back to the sprint store, and had them move the contacts from the instinct to the pre again? 2 questions, 1. would it put them in the google profile, 2 would it duplicate the contacts already in the palm profile?
  8.    #8  
    Ugh, really? There's no way to automatically copy all of your contacts over to the google account? I'll have to list this as a "con" in the first post.

Also, if your default account is set to the google account, will your auotmatic pre backups still include the new contacts that are added to the google account?
  9.    #9  
    Monday bump.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Ugh, really? There's no way to automatically copy all of your contacts over to the google account? I'll have to list this as a "con" in the first post.

Also, if your default account is set to the google account, will your auotmatic pre backups still include the new contacts that are added to the google account?
    In case it might be helpful to some, there are instructions for importing contacts into your Google account here.

If Google is set to be the default account on your Pre, new contacts will not be included in the Palm backups.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    In case it might be helpful to some, there are instructions for importing contacts into your Google account here.
    So will this move over ALL of your contacts into google?

If Google is set to be the default account on your Pre, new contacts will not be included in the Palm backups.
    Oh, crap.

Oh, crap.
    They will, however, be relatively safe in Google-land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    They will, however, be relatively safe in Google-land.
    And can be exported and backed up on your own
    This the tool that I use to backup my pre besides Palm's backup:

http://www.precentral.net/how-back-y...le-information
  15.    #15  
    That was a lengthy process just to grab one file, but it's definitely worth the peace of mind.

Also, it seems that getting the filecoaster app was an unnecessary step if you're ONLY looking to do a backup.
    Does anyone know if "linked profiles" are backed up by the Palm Profile or other backup process?

i.e. if I have the same person in both my google and facebook contacts, but I've had to manually "link the profile" because the names or contact info was slightly different.
    Is this "linkage" backed up somehow?
    Here's a very involved, but *complete* solution to backup your webos device.

www . webos-internals . org / wiki / Backing_Up_via_Rsync
    (Backing Up via Rsync - WebOS Internals)

I used the process to backup my files.

However, be aware that the restore as written does *not* work. When you kill the services, you lose network access (duh).

So I used the process to rsync my entire webos device to a directory on my laptop. From there I moved whatever I needed to restore back to the webos device (a pixi plus) via USB mode as a tar.gz file and then expanded it to the /media/internal drive into a temporary directory from which I copied and moved files. It took forever, but I got everything I needed back.
    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
    ..."The only things that seem to backup are the programs you had installed. Contacts, etc. do not backup. Also, this is no longer working automatically. You have to manually backup."
    I don't think it's fair to make this sort of blanket statement.

That said, I'm generally the first to tell people not to put contacts or calendar info into the palm profile. It's also been reported that automatic backup doesn't always run (I've had this issue for quite awhile) and that recently if a user turns off automatic backup it won't let them turn it back on (holy crap, if anyone is stuck not being able to turn auto backup back on, you should export your contacts from your phone to a .csv file.call Palm right now!)

On that basis, it's tempting to say "doesn't work" and "useless" in the same sense that I'd caution people away from buying a car known to have phantom acceleration issues that cause accidents. But, there are also many users that have no automatic backup issues, and have successfully restored profile data after getting a replacement phone or running wOS Doctor.

For me, I continue have the view that for my needs gMail is not an option. My reasons are covered in other threads, and I'm quick to point out that it's a great option for other user types. It would be fine for others in my family, but the nature of my contacts database are such that I'm not going to put it in the cloud, and especially not gMail.

I think Palm really made a mistake in not continuing to support syncing to a PC, even if it is only Outlook and not the other PIMs that are pretty much obsolete. I use Pocket Mirror to Outlook. Partly because it gives me the redundancy/backup I need, and partly because I still use Outlook for most of the adds/changes/deletes I do to my calendar and contacts. Especially since Outlook supports categories, which I need.

There is still a large population that uses Outlook for email even though they may not use it with an Exchange server.

So I continue to recommend people stay away from the Palm Profile. If they don't, I think they should be exporting to a .csv file on a regular basis, or moving them to gmail/hotmail/yahoo/etc if they don't want to use Outlook and pay for the ability to continue syncing to a PC...

I'm hopeful that Palm will eventually give us web access to our profile data. Heck, I can add/delete/edit the contacts on myVerison for my wife's dumbphone and her phone backs them up automatically every night... so it can't be that hard for Palm to give users a web interface to at least see/export their data from a PC, and to be able to verify that their profile has a valid backup...

Sorry to rant, but I just want casual readers to understand the difference between "bad enough that it might as well be considered as not working" as opposed to "it works for some, and if you can't get away from it, you should at least protect yourself."

I also recommend that users run a manual backup before doing anything significant to the phone, like doctoring or making major changes. Users often don't check to see if it has been backed up recently, or they make a bunch of changes to their contacts, and then lose them because they wouldn't be automatically backed up until the next night.

I hope that proves to be useful to those reading this thread. And I hope Palm realizes that they have to fix this because it's a basic expectation for the PIM aspects of any smartphone...

/my opinion
  19. Tib
    Quote Originally Posted by klktrk View Post
    www . webos-internals . org / wiki / Backing_Up_via_Rsync
    (Backing Up via Rsync - WebOS Internals)back.
    I don't have rsync installes on my Palm Pre+ (webOS v2.1). there is no /etc/rsyncd.conf , /var/run/rsyncd.pid or rsync binary on the whole device.

But...

The rsync binary is part of Palm's original package, so it is possible to make a wrap-around gui-based ipk for users who do not want access to linux.
    ...and:

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    rsync and cron are in optware, which we can run on the device now.
    ...but I can't figure out how to install rsync manually. What am I doing wrong?
  20. Tib
    *sigh*

...why didn't anyone tell me it's THAT easy:

Code:
    ipkg-opt update
    ipkg-opt install rsync
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast