Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I feel like there isn't enough emphasis on how ridiculous it is that we can't have apps like this because the voice input isn't activated or some ****. Sorry for the language but my wife just got an Iphone and I can't stop being ****ed about how she can talk into her phone and things happen. We can't even do a voice memo. My 755 did that.

The only thing stopping me from getting one is that I know I would be slower and less efficient with it. There is no multi tasking, inputting info via typing is much slower, and it's just bigger. Those are deal breakers for me and why the Pre is so great but Palm is going to lose people just by happenstance. Others are going to have experiences like me and not see why the Pre is better.

They need to catch up faster than they think they do.
    it will come
    Quote Originally Posted by alijahg34 View Post
    it will come
    Why does everyone keep making excuses for Palm? Palm has one phone(well now 2) to work on. No separate OS, No separate hardware, No computers, No mp3 players, No headphones, No search engine, No nothing. And yet they lag behind every other pda OS. This is not acceptable. Like what do they do at Palm headquarters all day, play with their iphones, or Droids?.

Had to rant, just ****ed I stood in line for this phone, got taxed on an extra $100, waited 3 months for a rebate, and I cant even record a voice memo if Im on the freeway and something comes to me. But I walked into Best Buy on October 8, and walked out with my $150 Hero in seconds, and it obliterates my Pre in apps and widgets functionality. But my Wifes Centro functions flawlessly. I think consumers begged Palm for multi tasking for so long, they said lets give them a phone that multi-tasks like no other and maybe they wont notice that we didnt take the time to put basic 2003 UI functionality in there. We can promise it to them in future updates, but not tell them how far in the future.

Lets face it, without Homebrew and Preware this phone and OS would be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    I am not making excuses for Palm -- in fact, I pretty much agree with you about the lack of functionality of the Pre, out of the box and after months -- but, come on. Of the million or so Pres out there, how many do you think have Preware installed?

I don't think the Pre is where it should be (and I think that's Palm's responsibility), but it wouldn't be dead now without Homebrew and Preware. On the other hand, if enough of us unabashed Pre-lovers give up and start spreading bad word of mouth, Palm is in serious, serious trouble. The clock is definitely ticking. (For what it's worth, I do think Palm can hear the ticking, and I think -- I hope -- they're starting to scramble to defuse the bomb.)
    Jeff Wilder, San Francisco Bay Area
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" - Buffy Summers

Why does everyone keep making excuses for Palm?
    Is this where the name calling starts about people who buy things without features that were not advertised and then cry about it...? Who forces anyone to buy and keep any phone?

My Pre doesn't cook me breakfast! My pals iphone not only cooks but relieves him when he can't get a date.

Seriously, Palm is following the apple game plan but in an accelerated manner. The hardware will allow 2 years of software upgrades. This was already stated by the ceo.

If you can't handle the wait vote with your wallet. You guys seem to think that Palm would never have thought of adding the features you want but are only waiting for you to come up with them. Duh.

In the meantime precorder records video or audio or both.
    Dial2Do handles voice commands for texting, emailing, notes, calendar, tweeting,weather, etc.. or Jott.
    Why does everyone keep making excuses for Palm? Palm has one phone(well now 2) to work on. No separate OS, No separate hardware, No computers, No mp3 players, No headphones, No search engine, No nothing. And yet they lag behind every other pda OS. This is not acceptable. Like what do they do at Palm headquarters all day, play with their iphones, or Droids?.
    It's not a matter of "making excuses". It really doesn't matter to me why a company does what they do (other than an interesting exercise in analysis), their products are what they are.

The quote below (in spite of his rant) expresses the bottom line pretty well:
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    The only thing stopping me from getting one is that I know I would be slower and less efficient with it...
    If someone doesn't like the the package, and feels that over all something else is better for them, then they should get what is better. If not, they should be happy they have what's best for them, overall.
    they should have a section on here for people that all they do is ***** about palm and the pre if you don't like it get something else

Had to rant, just ****ed I stood in line for this phone, got taxed on an extra $100, waited 3 months for a rebate, and I cant even record a voice memo if Im on the freeway and something comes to me. But I walked into Best Buy on October 8, and walked out with my $150 Hero in seconds, and it obliterates my Pre in apps and widgets functionality. But my Wifes Centro functions flawlessly. I think consumers begged Palm for multi tasking for so long, they said lets give them a phone that multi-tasks like no other and maybe they wont notice that we didnt take the time to put basic 2003 UI functionality in there. We can promise it to them in future updates, but not tell them how far in the future.

excuses? What should we do? Screw palm and jump ship? With VR on the horizon? When alot of other things fit? How about I don't mind the wait as bad as I would mind having a centro again?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Why did everyone keep making excuses for Apple? What was Apple doing for the 1st year when they had no apps at all. Or 2 more years when 2 gens of iPhones didn't have Copy\Paste, MMS, and Video recording? Play with their iPods and MacBooks?

I won't go further than to say read the first link in my sig for a "reality check" (yours seems NSF)
    I'm not necessarily making an excuse for palm, but if wikipedia is to be trusted, apple has roughly 35,000 employees, google roughly 20000, microsoft roughly 93000, nokia roughly 123000, and RIM roughly 12000. Palm has roughly 1000. That kinda puts them at a disadvantage, and also explains how the other companies can handle computers, mp3 players etc. Hard to find actuall info, but I'm betting the other smartphone companies have more than 1k employees in their phone divisions. Palm still needs to get on the ball though, and hopefully by CES, we'll start to see some signs of them doing just that.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    This is my first smartphone so having only dumb phones to compare it to I'm very happy so far with my experience. Other than really wanting voice dial (are you listening palm?) the phone does everything I need with the perfect form factor I want. I'm also happy with the frequency of updates, it shows they care about improving the product and makes me hopeful about what's to come. I am loyal to no one with the tech toys I buy so if in the future someone does it better I'll consider them, but for now I'm sticking with this phone.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think palm is going to pull something big out of their ***** at CES
    everybody is thinking palm is a fail and they arent going to be around for long
    and companies will be at CES showing off whatever and palm is going to just put out everything
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    I think palm is going to pull something big out of their ***** at CES
    Hmmm..i don't think it bodes well when you are expecting Palm "to pull something big out of their ***** at CES", unless you don't literally expect them to pull something out of their rectum. The only few things that anyone pulls out of their anus is usually so i don't know really......

.....where am i going with this....
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I did the same thing as Waddle and got my wife an iPhone unlocked on Tmo. I too am impressed with Dragan Dictation and the refinement and polish of the iphone. Apple does nice gui and great hardware. I'm sticking with my Pre, but looking at some of the features out there like Hero's widgets, video and voice recording on so many phones...I get a touch of the green eyed monster. For now I'm sticking with the Pre, it really is a great device and does most of what I need it to do.

And for those that like to come back with the, "Where was Apple a year into it? Two years into it?" Let me flip it around- In two years if a Pre can finally do what an iPhone can do today (ie feature parity, power, functionality), then Pre will still be two years behind the iPhone because Apple won't be sitting still. When a new product hits the market, it needs a competitive advantage and it needs to keep innovating. Playing catch up won't work. I know this well. I was on the Helio Ocean long enough to see how quickly their unique features were quickly eclipsed and lack of development sunk them.

I've always like an underdog, I'm hoping Palm can stick with it and reclaim their former glory while I'm on the ride.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Gee, and I thought there might actually be something in this thread about dictation software . . .
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Does every thread on this board have to be hijacked by whiners?
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    Does every thread on this board have to be hijacked by whiners?
    Yes.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    They need to catch up faster than they think they do.
    And this also drives me ape-****e: what in the world makes you think that you know better than Palm how quickly they need to catch up?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    yeah> i have to agree, dragon dicttion is pretty amazing. I installed it on my old iphone (now a glorified Ipod). I think we will see apps like this coming soon. as someone prolly mentioned (i didnt read the complete thread, i got bored with all the Blah Blah Blah) the Pre is very young; not even a year old. people are comparing a young phone with an old ifart. I, personally, am enjoying watching the young Pre mature (I was there when the Iphone was a babe). Be patient folks, there will be growing pains, but the best (2.0) is yet to come.
    Web OS was inovated for this very purpose! We do not need to wait on Palm for applications or features, we depend on the open and free marlet to inovate that. I for one, do not want to give that up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast