Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was under the impression that WebOSDoctor did a full erase of the Pre for a fresh start. But after using the new 1.3.5 edition and restoring profile, it looks like Preware and all my homebrew apps are still installed. Anyone know what could be going on?
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I actually am a bit curious now with 1.3.5 how this works as well. I do know with 1.3.1 the user accessible USB portion of the 8GB flash was left alone and only the core OS/Apps were restored. Now with Apps residing on the user accessible portion I am unsure!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Same here
    I had the same problems, I think now I have to backup everything on the USB partition and erase everything, then WebOS Doctor it, then restore data. Would like to know if there is a better way
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    I had the same problems, I think now I have to backup everything on the USB partition and erase everything, then WebOS Doctor it, then restore data. Would like to know if there is a better way
    So doing a "full erase" and then using WebOSDoctor should work?
    From today's article on the PreCentral home page:

If you aren't familiar with webOS Doctor, it is a Java-based program that will restore your Palm webOS smartphone to its factory settings. The user downloads a small Java program that downloads the full webOS Doctor, connects the Pre or Pixi via USB, and runs webOS Doctor to restore the device to factory-fresh status. While it will overwrite any personal information and the operating system changes you have made, it does not (as of version 1.3.1 at least) delete the USB drive portion, so photos, music and other files remain in place. Unlike the OTA update process, though, you do not have to delete elements like themes or patches, since webOS Doctor will overwrite them with the original system files. After running webOS Doctor, the user must reactivate the phone on its carrier's network, and then either log into an existing profile to download contacts, App Catalog apps and (some) other profile data or create a new profile. webOS Doctor is also used by third party tools such as Jason Robitaille's webOS Repair Utility to verify and repair individual elements within webOS.
    since 1.3.1 when you run the doctor the effects are restoring the factory default files and don't touch any usb files or inf also remove all your apps !
    I ran in to the same problem webos doctor 135 left my old sr600 patch. According to somebody you have to go to device info and do a full erase and then run webos doctor to truly have a pristine webos. I will do this when I get home.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krusenkevin View Post
    From today's article on the PreCentral home page:

If you aren't familiar with webOS Doctor, it is a Java-based program that will restore your Palm webOS smartphone to its factory settings. The user downloads a small Java program that downloads the full webOS Doctor, connects the Pre or Pixi via USB, and runs webOS Doctor to restore the device to factory-fresh status. While it will overwrite any personal information and the operating system changes you have made, it does not (as of version 1.3.1 at least) delete the USB drive portion, so photos, music and other files remain in place. Unlike the OTA update process, though, you do not have to delete elements like themes or patches, since webOS Doctor will overwrite them with the original system files. After running webOS Doctor, the user must reactivate the phone on its carrier's network, and then either log into an existing profile to download contacts, App Catalog apps and (some) other profile data or create a new profile. webOS Doctor is also used by third party tools such as Jason Robitaille's webOS Repair Utility to verify and repair individual elements within webOS.
    Not what we're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    Not what we're talking about.
    Actually it is, because the 1.3.5 update moves all apps to the USB drive portion of the device to handle the app limit issue. WebOS Doctor should remove the CPU patches though as /etc is on the linux partition not the USB drive partition.
    hmmm, would it matter if a full erase was done *after* webosdoctor? one of my problems was my system sound was replaced by something else via a patch and i couldn't go back to the default one. i'm hoping the fact that the custom sound file is still on my phone wouldn't cause my notifications / system sounds to still be the wrong sound.
    ah, I was wondering why all my stuff was still around. If that's the case, just deleting all the homebrew folders should be ok? I'm trying to evaluate 1.3.5 on a fresh install.
    Someone please clarify the difference between WebOS Doctor and full erase. Do they do the same thing?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    My phone got to a state where it was unable to boot last night. It just sat at the PALM screen forever. I ran the 1.3.5 WebOS Dr. and logged into my profile when it came back up. All my apps were restored including Preware but Preware would not run because the Package Manager service was not present. I used WebOS Quick Install to install the Package Manager service and when I went back into Preware it is registering that the four patches that were installed before my phone crashed are still installed. The functionality of these patches is not showing up and when I try to remove them in Preware I get an error. I guess I will have to do the full erase and run the WebOS Dr. again.
    Just ran the Doctor for 1.3.5 yesterday. It wiped everything, including the USB partition. No trace of anything that wasn't part of my Palm Profile.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Someone please clarify the difference between WebOS Doctor and full erase. Do they do the same thing?
    Full Erase should wipe your whole device and re-install WebOS. This runs completely on the device itself.

The WebOS Doctor is more meant as a recovery tool to save the WebOS from an unbootable state. Ever since a couple WebOS Doctor versions ago, it actually preserves the USB drive(media drive) portion of the filesystem. This change was probably made for those people who kept losing all their photos, music, and video on the device, when they screwed up their device really badly.

Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Just ran the Doctor for 1.3.5 yesterday. It wiped everything, including the USB partition. No trace of anything that wasn't part of my Palm Profile.
    quazi11 just stated otherwise in his experience with WebOS Doctor 1.3.5. And I think other posters on the forum has similar experiences to quazi11. I might just have to try it for experimenting purposes. My experience only goes as far as WebOS Doctor 1.2.1 and 1.3.1.
    webOS doctor 1.3.1 + are all going to not wipe the USB partition.

This is by design if you are wishing to perform the best erase possible you are going to have to full erase the device and then run the webOS doctor, although it really won't be necessary after the full erase unless something has really gone array.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    quazi11 just stated otherwise in his experience with WebOS Doctor 1.3.5. And I think other posters on the forum has similar experiences to quazi11. I might just have to try it for experimenting purposes. My experience only goes as far as WebOS Doctor 1.2.1 and 1.3.1.
    I know it's supposed to work that way. My case may have been different because I had altered the partition sizes a couple of months ago to create more space on /var.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    I just ran WebOS Doctor because my time and carrier name in the top bar are permanently orange, due to an error of mine probably uninstalling a theme incorrectly. At any rate I started by completed a Full Erase of the device and then I ran the entire WebOS Repair Utility through and it did prompt me to replace two files, however when my phone restarted my time and carrier and icons were still that of the mistakenly installed/uninstalled theme.

any ideas? i hope i was detailed enough.
    update:

I was able to manually revert the icon files back the original icons, but i am still unable to find the file that controls the color of the time and carrier name in the top bar...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast