Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey. I'm new here. I just sold my iPhone 3G so I would have enough to buy a Palm Pre. I have read about the Palm Pre Plus and I am wondering: Should I buy a Palm Pre now or should I wait for the Pre Plus? I really want one now!

thanks.
    Last edited by iWannaBeAdored; 12/30/2009 at 06:01 PM.
    iPhone 4 16GB Black | iPad 2 WiFi 32GB Black
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    If Sprint has good coverage in your area, get it now. You'll save money both on the cost of the device and the cost of the plan.
  3.    #3  
    I live in the UK and I am buying the Pre for 330. I am keeping my T-Mobile SIM only plan to use with it. To do so I will need a Rebel II sim though but I can buy that.
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    You are about a week away from CES, the world's largest consumer technology tradeshow where all the vendors like to make their big announcements. Buying a new device a week before that is... not the way I'd go.
  5.    #5  
    Ohh, I see. I have 370 to spend on a new device. I sold my iPhone 3G to buy the Palm Pre now as I wanted a new phone. I am using a 10 phone just now so I want to buy it quick . The Pre hasn't been out for long?
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by iWannaBeAdored View Post
    Ohh, I see. I have 370 to spend on a new device. I sold my iPhone 3G to buy the Palm Pre now as I wanted a new phone. I am using a 10 phone just now so I want to buy it quick . The Pre hasn't been out for long?
    LurkerX is right.

I'd wait for CES next week, this is where Palm will make their announcement bout what the near future is with WebOS and what devices/features they have in store for us. The way its going, the future looks very bright.

I feel your pain for wanting the phone quick, which is why i bought it on launch day for a ridiculous total price on contract =P. It was well worth it though.

The Pre has been out since June for the U.S.

The GSM Pre has been out since october for the UK/Europen regions.

Whatever does happen, youre safe with the pre, its a pretty awesome Phone and O.S.
    Buy it now. Don't wait. You can always sell the one you buy and get the plus later. The features on the plus might not be worth waiting for. Besides they might have updates that match the plus so don't wait join the Pre Nation Brother.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    LurkerX is right.

I'd wait for CES next week, this is where Palm will make their announcement bout what the near future is with WebOS and what devices/features they have in store for us. The way its going, the future looks very bright.

I feel your pain for wanting the phone quick, which is why i bought it on launch day for a ridiculous total price on contract =P. It was well worth it though.

The Pre has been out since June for the U.S.

The GSM Pre has been out since october for the UK/Europen regions.

Whatever does happen, youre safe with the pre, its a pretty awesome Phone and O.S.
    Thanks. I am gonna buy the Pre in about 4 days. As you said, the Pre has only been out since October in the UK so I should be safe I can't wait! I was bored with the iPhone and the whole jailbreak community. There was nothing else to do with the iPhone. Fresh start with the Pre
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by luvbug621 View Post
    Buy it now. Don't wait. You can always sell the one you buy and get the plus later. The features on the plus might not be worth waiting for. Besides they might have updates that match the plus so don't wait join the Pre Nation Brother.
    He's from the UK it seems so i doubt the availability of Pre Plus would affect him as its being released on VZW in the U.S. Unless it comes here in the UK which i really doubt for the time being.

Buy the Palm Pre, you cant really lose out, but personally i'd wait for CES. What are you looking for in a phone anyhow?
  10.    #10  
    He's from the UK it seems so i doubt the availability of Pre Plus would affect him as its being released on VZW in the U.S. Unless it comes here in the UK which i really doubt for the time being.

Buy the Palm Pre, you cant really lose out, but personally i'd wait for CES. What are you looking for in a phone anyhow?
    Well I used the iPhone for pretty much all it's features. I wanted a change so I thought the Pre would be good as I like the design and WebOS. It has all the features that I need. I mainly used my iPhone to check emails, check twitter, check bank account, browse the net, listen to music, phonecalls and texts (obv), take notes. Pretty much the MAIN things. I also liked to theme the iPhone
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    What are you looking for in a phone anyhow?
    That's really the key! I love my Pre, and I cannot imagine going to anything else after using webOS. Depending what you are looking to get out of your phone, you may end up feeling the same way. I really love the ability to tailor the phone to me with the use of patches and homebrew, and once you are able to actually truly multitask on a phone as the Pre does, you will not know how you lived without it.

As with anything else, there are some downsides. Being a first gen. device there are some growing pains, but I believe that the future will be (and the present is, IMHO) well worth it!

I think if you can tell us what features are important to you, we can better advise.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    I really love the ability to tailor the phone to me with the use of patches and homebrew, and once you are able to actually truly multitask on a phone as the Pre does, you will not know how you lived without it.
    This is why I chose the Pre also.
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Well I used the iPhone for pretty much all it's features. I wanted a change so I thought the Pre would be good as I like the design and WebOS. It has all the features that I need. I mainly used my iPhone to check emails, check twitter, check bank account, browse the net, listen to music, phonecalls and texts (obv), take notes. Pretty much the MAIN things. I also liked to theme the iPhone
    You'll be fine on the pre then, now youll be able to do all of those at the same time .

Personally i feel the Pre beats iPhone in pretty much most aspects, though ill be honest with you, you wont see the *Really great apps* on the Pre *Just yet*, its a new phone, the apps are coming though. But its just not one of the Pre's strong points at the moment, however palm are moving in the right direction, again, we will see at CES.

However once you delve into multitasking and gestures, youll find using every other phone frustrating

That's really the key! I love my Pre, and I cannot imagine going to anything else after using webOS. Depending what you are looking to get out of your phone, you may end up feeling the same way. I really love the ability to tailor the phone to me with the use of patches and homebrew, and once you are able to actually truly multitask on a phone as the Pre does, you will not know how you lived without it.

As with anything else, there are some downsides. Being a first gen. device there are some growing pains, but I believe that the future will be (and the present is, IMHO) well worth it!

I think if you can tell us what features are important to you, we can better advise.
    Youre definately right there, i find myself using my friends iPhone and being frustrated with having to close on app to use another, i also find myself doing back gestures on the iPhone . WebOS simply feels natural, and having homebrew/patches simply takes the Pre to a whole new level.

If youre not that concerned about Apps, get the Pre, you wont regret it
    Im also in the same boat, come Friday I have the opportunity to get a new phone, and Im PSYCHED for the Palm Pre, but for some reason Im also interested in the HTC Hero.. I know blasphemy right?

Anyways my Centro has NEVER let me down, I LOVE Palm, they always seem to impress me with their work, albeit others cant seem to see that for some reason..

I think what is really turning me off the Pre is the fact its a slider, Ive just grown so attached to the candy bar style like my Centro, and I have a new gen Ipod Touch, and honestly I like the VKM but I dont like the fact that its just limited to apps, guess what Im trying to say is I like physical boards..

Anyways just wanted to ask opinions on if it'd be wise to wait till CES or just buy the phone on the 1st then if CES brings great news(new hardware) bring my pre back and try and exchange when the new phone comes out?

Sorry for throwing in my problems also iWannaBeAdored, dont mean to thread jack ya.
    Last edited by feyded1020; 12/30/2009 at 06:52 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by feyded1020 View Post
    Im also in the same boat, come Friday I have the opportunity to get a new phone, and Im PSYCHED for the Palm Pre, but for some reason Im also interested in the HTC Hero.. I know blasphemy right?

Anyways my Centro has NEVER let me down, I LOVE Palm, they always seem to impress me with their work, albeit others cant seem to see that for some reason..

I think what is really turning me off the Pre is the fact its a slider, Ive just grown so attached to the candy bar style like my Centro, and I have a new gen Ipod Touch, and honestly I like the VKM but I dont like the fact that its just limited to apps, guess what Im trying to say is I like physical boards..

Anyways just wanted to ask opinions on if it'd be wise to wait till CES or just buy the phone on the 1st then if CES brings great news(new hardware) bring my pre back and try and exchange when the new phone comes out?

Sorry for throwing in my problems also iWannaBeAdored, dont mean to thread jack ya.
    Its cool I was thinking about the HTC Hero as well! I heard it was pretty slow and after video comparisons, I decided i was gonna get the Pre

The ONLY con for me is going from 16GB to 8GB, but I think I am gonna buy a iPod Nano so all is good
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    CES is only a week away...just wait a few days!
    unless Palm has some crazy secret for CES, my understanding is that their official stance is to focus on getting the Pre and Pixie out to as many carriers as possible, worldwide. They have said specifically that they do not plan to make a new model. But, they could surprise us. I just highly doubt it.

I think for the most part you guys would be quite happy with the Pre. The speed is improving, and with patches and hombrew it's almost like custom building your own unique device. While many people have had trouble with the hardware, many others have not. It's definitely not old iPhone metal case type construction, but it's tougher than most people give it credit for I'd say. And the OS cannot be beat.

I'd say get one. But wait until after CES maybe, just so you'll be even more excited when you get to go to the store and pick it up Or not, CES could leave us all like *** Palm??? LOL

All I know is that I love it, and it keeps getting better -at a pretty good pace, I might add.
  18.    #18  
    I went to the o2 shop to play about with it today and man I love it! I managed to type pretty well with the keyboard which is a plus! Also, Is there an app for checking hotmail? That's the email service I use.
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Its cool I was thinking about the HTC Hero as well! I heard it was pretty slow and after video comparisons, I decided i was gonna get the Pre

The ONLY con for me is going from 16GB to 8GB, but I think I am gonna buy a iPod Nano so all is good
    Definitely been looking at some video comparisons and reviews of both phones.. Android is neat, and its evolving fast(but its also been out longer than webOS).. but I have ALOT of faith in webOS, as Ive always loved the idea of true multitasking, and I believe webOS to be the only one to get it right so far..

Now that you mention that, it also doesnt have an sd card slot of some kind, which isnt a bad thing because I have one in my Centro(16gb) and I only use 2 gigs of it.. but I also dont have access to apps like Pre does, so who knows..

Anyways I think Im going to get the Pre asap lol as my anti-android father(whom is OBSESSED with Apple, and his iPhone of course, but loves Palm as hes owned nearly every Palm device haha) will kill me when he hears I buy anything other than a Palm device.
    unless Palm has some crazy secret for CES, my understanding is that their official stance is to focus on getting the Pre and Pixie out to as many carriers as possible, worldwide. They have said specifically that they do not plan to make a new model. But, they could surprise us. I just highly doubt it.
    I personally feel were in for a great CES

The foundations for Flash was found in WebOS 1.3.1, Already confirmed coming early 2010, Beta pretty much soon after CES, this opens up thousands of excellent games and other media as is.

The Video Recording Linux Binaries was found in WebOS 1.3.1, i also feel this is something Palm is working on, so *expect* video recording *soon*.

The foundations for OpenGL was found in WebOS 1.3.5! This opens up GPU support, though it isnt being utlized *yet*. Coupled in with the NFS App Catalog Screenshot and NFS Game video...Expect some great Kickass iPhone style 3D Games to the Pre! Not to mention *Hopefully* other sort of Apps utilizing the GPU.

Verizons Spec sheet shows voice commands on the Pre Plus. Though there is a high chance its a mistake/misunderstanding of some part, i think we have scope to dream =P.

The conclusion being, keep your comments to yourself until CES
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast