1.    #1  
    still hoping this will get fixed. I know 5 people who have PRE's and we all have incorrect time. I wonder why this is not listed in the Bug List.
    To the list of time drift sufferers. On average my pre jumps forward 2 to 4 minutes every 24 hours. The 1.3.5 did nothing to fix this.

What I have started doing each day is to switch to airplane mode and then back to normal mode. This gets the phone to seek out network time and post the correct time again.

It has gotten so annoying that my wife bought me a GShock watch. I haven't had to wear a watch in years, until now, that is!
    same problem here, too

hope they get this fixed ASAP - this is one of my BIGGEST gripes about the phone

do we even know if Palm knows about this issue?
    Last edited by matty3054; 01/02/2010 at 01:40 AM.
  4. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I find it quite staggering that Palm fail to fix this. this is a serious bug surely?
    If they cant find the source of the error then just allow daily sync to a web based timeserver. job done. if thats too much hassle, just provide API access and Ill do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    I find it quite staggering that Palm fail to fix this. this is a serious bug surely?
    Define serious.

Realistically, other than the very small percentage of users who use their Pre for keeping track of contracted time and so forth, this falls into the "minor annoyance" category.

I used to do tech support for Dell and I can tell you that system clock issues are incredibly difficult to troubleshoot. They can be caused by any number of hardware or software issues. Sometimes it can be caused the interaction of certain pieces of software that by themselves don't cause any problem.

At any rate, I'm reasonably sure there is already a patch that allows you to put the phone into and out of airplane mode at set times. There's nothing to stop you from programming it to cycle very quickly every day, thus accomplishing exactly what you seem to feel you need an API for.
    Add me to the list of time jumpers & airplane mode users.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreudSlipped View Post

It has gotten so annoying that my wife bought me a GShock watch. I haven't had to wear a watch in years, until now, that is!
    at least you got a good watch out of the deal.

too bad its digital though
  8. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Define serious.

Realistically, other than the very small percentage of users who use their Pre for keeping track of contracted time and so forth, this falls into the "minor annoyance" category.
    So missed/late alarms meaning late for work, meetings, appointments etc are 'minor annoyances' are they? I'd call that a critical failure of a device Palm clearly wants to sell to business customers as well as the casual phone user! Plus Palm has a whole alarm service API on which many, many apps depend (and palm strongly recommends developers use this to 'wake' their apps so they can be closed and re-opened without consuming resources). These too will be affected if the time of the device is out....

I used to do tech support for Dell and I can tell you that system clock issues are incredibly difficult to troubleshoot. They can be caused by any number of hardware or software issues. Sometimes it can be caused the interaction of certain pieces of software that by themselves don't cause any problem.
    Which was why I suggested they just add Time-server synchronisation to fix (patch over) the issue until they can find the underlying time problem...

At any rate, I'm reasonably sure there is already a patch that allows you to put the phone into and out of airplane mode at set times. There's nothing to stop you from programming it to cycle very quickly every day, thus accomplishing exactly what you seem to feel you need an API for.
    Perhaps there is, but most webos users wont be aware of patching, so this isn't a viable fix. If it were an official API then a small time-sync app could be knocked up in half a day and a publicly avaiable and officially supported fix be released that wouldn't need erasing every time the OS was upgraded.
    Patches are no substitute for official API support, despite their usefulness...
  9.    #9  
    I took it to a sprint store and am awaiting my replacement in the mail. What are the odds my new one will have this same issue? I am guessing pretty high.

I dropped my phone and got a hairline crack in the screen (almost unnoticeable)
    but thought I'd get a replacement since I have a problem that they could not fix in the sprint store. I was worried they would notice the crack and say no deal, but I got lucky I guess.

I never had any oreo problems so I hope I don't end up with that. I will report back and let you all know if my new one drifts,
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I never had a time drift problem before but after 1.3.5 I do. I was about 4 minutes off today when I noticed. I really don't want to have to use the airplane mode patch to fix this. I've never had an issue with the time on a cell phone before.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I didn't notice mine doing this until i updated to 1.3.5 My phone was 14 minutes behind and made me late for a meeting so yes Palm needs to fix this ASAP
    By the way my phone no patches its all stuff from Palm
  12.    #12  
    My new phone came yesterday. Although I have been rebooting it a lot with my installations, so far the time is almost correct (3 seconds fast). Too soon to tell, I will keep you all updated.