Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    From an article in Betanews published today:

10 reasons why Microsoft must buy Palm now | Betanews
    I'm sure there's valid points here, but I think Palm's and Microsoft's cultures and business strategies are just too different. I actually think Microsoft is putting out a lot of good software (and hardware) lately, but Palm has a strong identity and I don't want it to be swallowed.
    Yea I stopped reading after the comment "Linux is better than nothing".

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Actually I think that Betanews has a point! If Microsoft buys Palm, then I am sure WebOS's future will be guaranteed. Microsoft has the money in order to make WebOS much better than it already is and can also put more it on much more hardware than Palm can...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Why would anyone want to destroy Palm this way?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Microsoft has not fared well with their Windows phones but they're more likely to keep at that.

What I do wonder is if Palm has any plans to license WebOS out to other phone manufactures. Palm has produced Windows based phones.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    why are people thinking that if MS bought palm webos would be saved? webos would DIE.

I'm a little bit of a microsoft enthusiast, but this is the stupidest idea i've heard in a long time.

'Palm may not last until 2010'? is he kidding? why is it always either beat apple or die? There are plenty of companies that go on just fine without ruling the world.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Bad idea. I would much rather have WebOS as a semi-niche smartphone OS than see Microsoft try to port it to Windows and turn into a good for nothing OS. I personally think it is too late for WebOS to compete head to head with either iPhone or Android. I just hope that Palm is smart enough to pick a decent size "niche" that they can dominate.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    My perception was that Microsoft desperately needs a smart-phone platform to save their Mobile business and that WebOS could fulfill that role?
    Ah, the siren song of Redmond. I remember, back in the days of the mid-'80s "home computer wars," how devotees of each system (Amiga, Atari ST, even the Mac) were convinced their salvation would lie in having "white knight" Microsoft step in and instantly make their platform a market leader.

The problem is, Microsoft has one approach they've used for everything outside the XBox: we develop the software, and let others take the risk of building and selling the hardware for it. The approach served them well in the PC world and, maybe just as importantly, didn't generate any additional unwanted interest from antitrust lawyers in various governments.

Besides, does anyone really think that Microsoft would jump to a completely different smartphone O.S., when it is heavily invested in Windows Mobile? I would even guess that, if Microsoft bought Palm, it would mean bye-bye to our current Pres and Pixis, and hello to a launch, a year or less from now, of a new series of Microsoft phones using Palm technology, and possibly looking similar to the current offerings in style and ergonomics, but powered by the new "Windows Mobile 8"...which would have no connection whatsoever to WebOS.
    Though I wouldn't be opposed to Microsoft buying Palm they've got WinMo 7 coming out and that should be a pretty nice OS in itself so I can't see them wanting or needing Palm and WebOs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Why is it always either beat apple or die? There are plenty of companies that go on just fine without ruling the world.
    My friend if I could, I would stamp this sentence across every mobile and technology webpage, every forum and then on every members' foreheads.

You've hit the nail on the head, and I think that this basic understanding is lost on so many people (which is not to say that there aren't plenty of sensible, clued up people at Precentral). I think Palm will be just fine, for precisely the reason you've just given.
    My read on that article is a windows fan looking at WebOS and thinking I want that. I don't have that! I'm never going to have it... unless Microsoft buys them. yes, that's the ticket!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what would happen if microsoft purchased palm. I love webOS, but I have a feeling that microsoft has something special up their sleeves with winmo 7.
    I'm so sorry but I think Palm should stay Palm and MS should stay MS
    They are so different each other that I really can't see any convergent point to what the internet mag wrote.
    but I have a wonderful idea. microsoft should start workin HARD on a decent win mobile os. If palm did what it did with webOS, and they're a little company, what stops microsoft doing the same for herself?
    good ideas have no price!
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Palm would lose its fighting spirit if Microsoft bought them. Why fight when you've got billions in the bank? Palm bounced back because it had to, it's do or die time for Palm and they bloody well know it!
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mastahaze View Post
    I'm so sorry but I think Palm should stay Palm and MS should stay MS
    They are so different each other that I really can't see any convergent point to what the internet mag wrote.
    but I have a wonderful idea. microsoft should start workin HARD on a decent win mobile os. If palm did what it did with webOS, and they're a little company, what stops microsoft doing the same for herself?
    good ideas have no price!
    What would they do? Foul it up just like they do with their desktop and mis-named server operating systems.