1.    #1  
    Not going to lie, when everyone is complaining about the oreo effect I would grab my phone and just smile. No wiggle what so ever.

Today however I dropped it 3 feet on to the kitchen floor...oreo effect. It is all at the top of the phone where it almost appears like a small gap on the top and it wiggles back and forth. This really, really suck, Palm quality in my mind just went way down.

Is there any way to fix this or do you just learn to live with it?

Update: Looking at this more, the gap on top seem to bee substantial, using my phone closed now there is a ton of noise. It also seems to rub on together and cause alot of friction when I open and close it. This is really irritating.
    Last edited by gianthobbit; 12/30/2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    If there is no signs of physical damage and you have insurance off the to the sprint store for a replacement.

My refurb is just as good as my release pre. My release pre had no orea or gap and was dropped about 4 times had some scrapes on the bottom corner. If it was not for the crack that appeared one morning on the top left I would still be using it.
  3.    #3  
    I do have insurance but dont want to pay $100 for a replacment unless the device was unusable.

I guess I could swing by the sprint store and see if they could replace it. Thing is it fell only about 3 feet, so minor I didnt even think to look for damages at first. Is the sliding mechanism that weak or did it just hit perfectly?

Noticed that when the gap on top is present the oreo effect is terrible. When I press it down so there is no gap there is absolutely no horizontal movement...
    Last edited by gianthobbit; 12/30/2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: update
    This is one of the reasons I am still carrying the insurance on my Pre.
  5.    #5  
    Ya, i hear you there man.

I guess the question I need answered is, "Can I expect this on minor falls". If not then I will replace it, if it is overly common then I guess I will just have to make due, I am insanely careful with my phone but falls are bound to happen...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gianthobbit View Post
    I do have insurance but dont want to pay $100 for a replacment unless the device was unusable.

I guess I could swing by the sprint store and see if they could replace it. Thing is it fell only about 3 feet, so minor I didnt even think to look for damages at first. Is the sliding mechanism that weak or did it just hit perfectly?

Noticed that when the gap on top is present the oreo effect is terrible. When I press it down so there is no gap there is absolutely no horizontal movement...
    If there is no sign of physical damage cause by you then you can just claim that the phone has been getting worse over time and that it is now effecting the phones operation aka the speaker problem you mentioned.

There are to plastic nubs for lack of a better term that lock the 2 halves from side to side movement(someone posted a video of them) when the phone is closed which stops the oreo. I dropped mine like i said 4 times and it never effected the phone, two times I was sitting in my truck with the pre on my lap and jumped out of the truck to only realize my pre was headed straight to the pavement 4ft plus fall depending on how much air it got

The other two times it was in my hands and fell once it landed on the screen the other I tried catching it with my foot and it hit the wall then the floor.
    I would say you hit it just right or mine landed just right /shrug either way as long as they can't tell you dropped it you should be able to get them to replace it with out paying the deductible.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    This is one of the reasons I am still carrying the insurance on my Pre.
    This is one of the reasons I ditched the Pre and went with the Pixi. Man, I'm so happy now to not have to worry about this stupid issue anymore.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    This is one of the reasons I ditched the Pre and went with the Pixi. Man, I'm so happy now to not have to worry about this stupid issue anymore.
    I am going to get the pixi for my wife in a couple weeks, going to see if I like it enough to switch myself. If only they still had that killer promotion, what was it $25 for a pixi?
    Still going on at Radio Shack I believe..
  11.    #11  
    Just stopped into the sprint store and they were gong to replace it. I however swapped phones with someone from craigslist (traded my touch pro 2) and they couldnt see that I purchased the phone so they wouldnt do it. I would have to call the guy up, add the phone back on his plan, replace it, add it back to my plan... what a joke.

There is a local shop in town that is a authorized Sprint reseller and the guy said that they can tighten up the brackets for me. I emailed them for a price quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    If the Pixi had wifi I would probably switch.
    Here's an idea, DON'T DROP YOUR PHONE!

And please, all of you people lying about your terible build quality when it is self inflicted please stop!

I really wish there was a reporting mechanism that we could invoke to turn in all you people who are taking phones that YOU damaged back to the store to get a replacement blaming it on Palm.

you want to know why the insurance cost more than it used to? Why does the deductible go up? It is because of people like you!! Fess up that you dropped your phone, pay the deductible and get over it.
    Gee Mikey tell us how you really feel....lol. People drop their phones from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    Gee Mikey tell us how you really feel....lol. People drop their phones from time to time.
    Yup, and people commit fraud from time to time too. I've dropped mine several times too, luckily no damage to the phone yet. But you can bet if there was I wouldn't take it to a Sprint store and say, "it's been getting worse all along" and try to get them to eplace it for free.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Blame the carriers for "insurance fraud" if you must. Because if we loose a phone or it gets damaged with no insurance. even longtime customers are stuck paying 500-800$ for a phone. Im sure they cost that much to make.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Here's an idea, DON'T DROP YOUR PHONE!

And please, all of you people lying about your terible build quality when it is self inflicted please stop!

I really wish there was a reporting mechanism that we could invoke to turn in all you people who are taking phones that YOU damaged back to the store to get a replacement blaming it on Palm.

you want to know why the insurance cost more than it used to? Why does the deductible go up? It is because of people like you!! Fess up that you dropped your phone, pay the deductible and get over it.
    Wow, here an idea, a expensive and fragile mobile device WILL get dropped from the vast majority of consumers. I am sorry but a 3 ft fall on to the kitchen floor (not concrete) should not gimp my phone for life. The sliding mechanism breaks on almost all of these phones (from what I have seen). I dont think people are in the wrong to return them to Sprint, have them give them a new one and then have Sprint foot the bill for the repair. When something comes out with poor build quality its the manufacturer/carrier who is at fault (think of recalls).